Options

Queer As Folk

13»

Comments

• Options
    EtherealEthereal Posts: 36,118
    Forum Member
    We studied this in Media last year. Loved it. :)
  • Options
    lalalala Posts: 21,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched the British version for the first time on 4OD.

Fabulous........ I loved it. I love how they don't make an issue out of being gay.

Funny how TV has gone so backwards now. Nowadays you'd still have some dramas pop up making an issue out of someone being gay. I mean....... Hello....... How 1998 are they?
  • Options
    Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    Aneechik wrote: »
    Russel T Davies decided to only do a short conclusion because he had run out of storylines and some of the actors were unavailable as they were already involved in other projects. He also wanted to do a spin off show about Hazel, Donna and Anthony Cotton's character, and Channel 4 had commissioned it but then dropped it at the last minute.

Que Russel flouncing out of Channel 4 and vowing never to work with them again!

Yes, I read about this. I'm surprised Channel 4 dropped it - I would've thought they'd have been keen to have a spin-off seeing as they wanted to carry on QAF. He went on to do Bob and Rose for ITV, as well as The Second Coming IIRC. I loved the former although I remember it attracted some controversy from gay rights groups because they felt it made out that you could turn a gay man straight - which is fair enough I suppose but then it was based on a true story.

Anyway, Russell has obviously moved on to much bigger things. It is great actually when you watch the show back and you see all the mentions of Doctor Who (as well as Stuart's gift to Vince for his birthday :D ).
  • Options
    Pistol WhipPistol Whip Posts: 9,677
    Forum Member
    This was aired when I was in my teens so didn't really have a chance to watch it.

Watched every episode via 4OD a couple of months ago and I thought it was brilliant. So many excellent characters that you ended up caring about (even Antony Cotton's "character"! Which was just him, obviously).

I'd like to see Russell T Davis write a follow up episode, ten years on.

Craig Kelly is a prolific voice-over these days, I hear his voice on adverts for products on TV as well as radio and especially E4 shows.
  • Options
    Kevin1960Kevin1960 Posts: 5,603
    Forum Member
    OnceBitten wrote: »
    This was aired when I was in my teens so didn't really have a chance to watch it.

Watched every episode via 4OD a couple of months ago and I thought it was brilliant. So many excellent characters that you ended up caring about (even Antony Cotton's "character"! Which was just him, obviously).

I'd like to see Russell T Davis write a follow up episode, ten years on.

Craig Kelly is a prolific voice-over these days, I hear his voice on adverts for products on TV as well as radio and especially E4 shows.

I've noticed that Chris Kelly seems to do loads of voice overs for adverts, trailers and documentaries, but what else has he ever been in? I remember he had a very small part in the film Titanic (which was made before QAF) - he was seen as a member of the crew as the ship hit the iceberg - but I've never seen him in anything else.
  • Options
    ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kevin1960 wrote: »
    I've noticed that Chris Kelly seems to do loads of voice overs for adverts, trailers and documentaries, but what else has he ever been in? I remember he had a very small part in the film Titanic (which was made before QAF) - he was seen as a member of the crew as the ship hit the iceberg - but I've never seen him in anything else.

A few other films, including Spiceworld, but mostly TV drama: Dalziel & Pascoe, Afterlife, Silent Witness and Doctor Who.
  • Options
    EtherealEthereal Posts: 36,118
    Forum Member
    Kevin1960 wrote: »

Last time I saw him was on one of those late-night poker shows.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    With the news that Russell T Davies will be leaving Doctor Who shortly, maybe he can write a follow up series, or even a completely new QAF with new characters with the occasional cameo appearance from some of the old characters (I loved Hazel!)
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bratwurzt wrote: »
    A bit gay for me.
    Hahaha well the clue was in the title so you've only got yourself to blame.

Absolutely fantastic show. One of the best TV dramas of all time (along with GBH and a couple of others). It's a shame it was ruined by the ending but at least it made us all accept it was the end! Aiden Gillen was dream casting - the camera just luuurves him (he's reasonable on stage but no where near as charismatic - though he's improved a lot over the last 10 years imho). I also remember Denise Black being fabulous. And the whole thing was from the same stable that went on to make the equally fabulous Cassanova with David Tennant. They have some of the highest productions values I've ever seen on TV. And if they ever get away from the dreaded Dr Who and start making grown up telly again I'll be watching.
  • Options
    marjanglesmarjangles Posts: 9,681
    Forum Member
    I loved this programme. I've never seen the US version because I never wanted to spoil perfection (well sort of!) but being from just outside Manchester I recognised the gay scene and its reflection (to a certain extent) in my own life and experiences.

It had its problems (the main one being Charlie Hunnam who couldn't act his way out of a paper bag if he had a map and a very sharp knife but because he's pretty is now in Hollywood :rolleyes:) and I wish they'd left it at one series and not done the second one which was nowhere near as good.

But it was a real highlight of TV in the late 90's and in a weird way helped me out with my own life so it must be good!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've never seen the US version either. I only watched our (UK, original) version because it became available on 4OD a couple of years ago (didn't watch when it was first aired on C4 as I was in my teens at the time and it was socialy unnaceptable to be Gay in my circumstances lol). It was only when I "came to terms" with myself that I watched it. Brilliant series.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw this on 4OD before buying it on DVD. My mum told me how good it was when she watched it on Ch4, my dad wasnt as keen.

Woah, there are so many perfect scenes. My favourites are when Vince and Stuart are dropping off Nathan at school in the jeep and the song playing is that 'here they come, the beautiful ones' and that schoolboy backchats Stuart and Stuart says something about him being a tight little virgin.
    Also at the start of the next ep where Air's 'Sexy Boy' is playing and its a comparison on how all 3 of them operate.

Only major negatives: the craptastic ending of the flying car. And that scene in America.
    The appalling casting choices. The guy who plays Vince is absolutely terrible. Same with Donna and Nathan's gay mate (can't remember his name).

The US version, from what Ive seen, has a strong first season. I got bored during Season 2 tho. Seems to be better cast IMO as well. The guy who plays the American Stuart (Brian?) is fiiiiiiine.
  • Options
    marjanglesmarjangles Posts: 9,681
    Forum Member
    I saw this on 4OD before buying it on DVD. My mum told me how good it was when she watched it on Ch4, my dad wasnt as keen.

Woah, there are so many perfect scenes. My favourites are when Vince and Stuart are dropping off Nathan at school in the jeep and the song playing is that 'here they come, the beautiful ones' and that schoolboy backchats Stuart and Stuart says something about him being a tight little virgin.
    Also at the start of the next ep where Air's 'Sexy Boy' is playing and its a comparison on how all 3 of them operate.

The music really was one of the best things about the series, they always picked the best songs at the best times and it enhanced the experience no end.
    Only major negatives: the craptastic ending of the flying car. And that scene in America.
    The appalling casting choices. The guy who plays Vince is absolutely terrible. Same with Donna and Nathan's gay mate (can't remember his name).

The US version, from what Ive seen, has a strong first season. I got bored during Season 2 tho. Seems to be better cast IMO as well. The guy who plays the American Stuart (Brian?) is fiiiiiiine.

Surely you cannot think that anyone was worse than the guy playing Nathan, from time to time it was literally painful watching him on screen!

I quite liked the ending in the US though, left a bit to the imagination, plus the gun pulling stunt was fun!
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RTD has a new series called MGM (More Gay Men) in the works apparently, although it's said to be years away due to DW.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    marjangles wrote: »
    Surely you cannot think that anyone was worse than the guy playing Nathan, from time to time it was literally painful watching him on screen!

I quite liked the ending in the US though, left a bit to the imagination, plus the gun pulling stunt was fun!

I dunno about Nathan. I think sometimes he was good, sometimes not so good. Maybe its to do with his accent...Im not sure if its his natural accent because it sounded so laboured. Like his voice became kind of overexaggerated and not at all natural. But compared to some of the others on the show (Vince!), I cut him a bit of slack.

I didnt really like the talking-to-the-cameras thing in the first ep, either.

The thing I liked in the last ep was the mini-updates at the end, that was kinda cute.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bring it back! :D

Wouldn't mind a reunion.