Options

Sandwich making jobs

Comments

• Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    Yes, you have to be aware of all the rules and regulations regarding health and safety. Pork products might be involved which would disbar Muslims.

I am amazed at how many people buy them in shops. I never do apart from at my baker's where they are made up in front of you. My baker has the highest awards for hygiene.
    I agree. That's the best way to buy them.

My daughter when a student, once worked for a company who made sandwiches for an airline company. She didn't make the sandwiches herself, but was put off them once she saw what went into them!
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    also just to combine my two posts, the Job Centre wont touch this firm, recuriting for 12 months in the future is now for the Job Centre, lets saying people get a job that starts in 12 months, do you really think the Job Centre is just going to sit back, and authorise payment for 12 months worth of JSA, nope the person is still going to have to look for a job.

Greencore is laughable
  • Options
    northantsgirlnorthantsgirl Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought this was going to be a UKIP thread as Nige is up for a Sandwich job himself - as MP for the town.
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anytime a company trys this on to demonise the UK workforce, they should be exposed for what they are really up to.

I saw BBC Nick Robinson was bigging this story up earlier today, pretty much ripping into the unemployed British folk.

It's out of control, someone needs to start tell the truth and exposing what is really being offered by these companies.

It also needs to be highlighted how the housing market is making work not pay.

The media in this country run on one big bag of part truths and lies.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    Anytime a company trys this on to demonise the UK workforce, they should be exposed for what they are really up to..

You mean demonising people by offering them jobs? How dare they!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    LMAO they are not offering people jobs, jobs do not require you wait 12 months. This is a promise of a job and nothing more, and without a written contract that promise is worth nothing.
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,062
    Forum Member

They are offering jobs at under the market wage for the area. The article says Nothampton is an area of low employment, so companies will need to offer a competitive wage to get a workforce. Instead Greencore decide instead of offering a wage that is matches local market forces, to instead import dirt cheap labour from Hungary.
  • Options
    weirlandia4evaweirlandia4eva Posts: 1,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    https://emea3.recruitmentplatform.com/syndicated/lay/jsoutputinitrapido.cfm?component=lay9999_jdesc100a&id=Q1JFK026203F3VBQBV77V8MZG&nPostingID=2044&nPostingTargetID=5269&mask=stdext&lg=UK

the job ad doesn't mention the wage but does stipulate
    The site operates 24/7 and you will be required to work on a shift basis including the requirement to work nights and weekends. All applicants must be flexible and able to work weekends.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/nov/10/sandwich-firm-fill-vacancies-factory-east-european-workers

the guardian report makes interesting reading
    Managers at Greencore, the UK’s biggest sandwich-maker, have flown to Hungary to hire staff even though the company benefited from a slice of £107m in government funding designed to create more jobs for the people of Northamptonshire.
    In 2012, Greencore was forced to compensate 400 workers at its Hull factory after an employment tribunal ruled it had unfairly limited their overtime and holiday pay after staff had volunteered to temporarily suspend their benefits to help the then-struggling company.

On recruitment website Glassdoor,only 14% of people who say they currently work at Greencore said they would recommend a friend work at the firm. One person, who said they had been working at Greencore for eight years, said the only advantage of working for the company was “it’s better than being unemployed”.

Under ‘cons’ they saidThey added: “This year I have seen this company bring grown men and women to the brink of tears at the festive period by telling them that they have to work Christmas Eve, Boxing Day, New Year’s Eve – nightshift so they can wish each other a happy 2014 across a lasagne, and New Year’s Day – all with hours of notice after they had made plans with their families. Mostly immigrants though, so what does it matter?

“I’ve seen people bullied into working 12 hours a day – seven days a week.”

I feel that that last quote says a lot about this company.
  • Options
    Rick_DavisRick_Davis Posts: 1,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can someone, perhaps left leaning, tell me how much a person employed to butter bread, or put a filling into a sandwich in a factory that them supplies the likes of M&S, Tesco, ASDA et al should earn.

Looking for a genuine figure.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rick_Davis wrote: »
    Can someone, perhaps left leaning, tell me how much a person employed to butter bread, or put a filling into a sandwich in a factory that them supplies the likes of M&S, Tesco, ASDA et al should earn.

Looking for a genuine figure.

Let me guess - £45,000 with a company car?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let me guess - £45,000 with a company car?

gimme a hat and a butter knife...
  • Options
    DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The article in the dailymail was funny, the factory is in an area with unusually low unemployment yet they are blaming it on people being work-shy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The article in the dailymail was funny, the factory is in an area with unusually low unemployment yet they are blaming it on people being work-shy.

So, are you blaming the press, or blaming the populous?
  • Options
    DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So, are you blaming the press, or blaming the populous?

No i'm criticising the justification for immigration on native britons being work-shy. Whilst there might be low unemployment in northamptonshire, they still have an unemployment rate of about 4%, enough people to fill that factory 200x but it doesn't even open for another year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    looking at the quotes in weirlandia4eva post I am left wondering a few things

1) their recuirtment problem is partly down to being known to be a bad employer, something Amazon suffers from in my area, and im guessing any area that it has a disburtion centre.

Comments about Christmas, suggest its quite like Amazon, who treat people in their low skilled jobs, like they are nothing, and then act surprised people say bad things about them.

People are just a "resource" to them nothing else, produce 5 sandwiches an hour, pick 20 items in 15 minutes, etc

It isnt just the fact the work is low skilled and the pay is low, its also how the companys treat people doing those jobs, that is a large part the recuirtment problem.

2) we really need to find a way to make money paid to them, be conditional on hiring local workers, who have been in the UK a good few years.

3) never help a struggling company out, it wont do anything to help you in the long term, how a company with contracts with pretty much every supermarkets
    (im giving the supermarkets a free pass in this thread, both to keep it on topic, and because im not sure this is their problem) be struggling. That suggets to me the company is being very poorly run, so poorly run that despite many big name contracts it still cant keep its head above water, either there is black hole of money somewhere, or those contracts are not worth alot and should not have been entered into. (poor managment)

The Daily Mail article is a joke, and some of the comments only go to show how idiotic the benefit bashes are in there view on the world, and how they have totally lost the ability of critical thinking, mindless quoting the soundbites of either the Daily Mail or IDS.

Ok so my expereince comes from Amazon, but know from that their HR department is worth a joke, and could not tell someone not suitable for the job if they sat in front of them, and did an interview.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Thought this was going to be a UKIP thread as Nige is up for a Sandwich job himself - as MP for the town.

The constituency was abolished in 1885 so I doubt it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No i'm criticising the justification for immigration on native britons being work-shy. Whilst there might be low unemployment in northamptonshire, they still have an unemployment rate of about 4%, enough people to fill that factory 200x but it doesn't even open for another year.

So pick up a ****ing butter knife and spread butter for a living. If you are so ****ing stupid that you cannot spread butter onto bread then I have no ****ing time for you lazy *****.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are not going to earn 50K a year for being a moron.

If you want to earn 50k a year take your fat head out of your fat arse and learn something.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    So pick up a ****ing butter knife and spread butter for a living. If you are so ****ing stupid that you cannot spread butter onto bread then I have no ****ing time for you lazy *****.
    You are not going to earn 50K a year for being a moron.

If you want to earn 50k a year take your fat head out of your fat arse and learn something.

You need to learn to be civil towards others.
  • Options
    MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ads wrote: »
    They are offering jobs at under the market wage for the area. The article says Nothampton is an area of low employment, so companies will need to offer a competitive wage to get a workforce. Instead Greencore decide instead of offering a wage that is matches local market forces, to instead import dirt cheap labour from Hungary.

The whole of the EU is a single market - it is operating as it is designed to do.

What is happening here is the whole point of being a member of the EU.
  • Options
    radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Majlis wrote: »
    The whole of the EU is a single market - it is operating as it is designed to do.

What is happening here is the whole point of being a member of the EU.

Yes, however we have never had a say - or importantly a vote. Was not the club six or nine strong? Now 27?
  • Options
    DotheboyshallDotheboyshall Posts: 40,583
    Forum Member
    This just shows how much the Mail hates the average Brit
  • Options
    clinchclinch Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So they have been given £107 million of taxpayers' cash to employ local people in Northants yet have used the money to import more people from Eastern Europe who will work on low pay that will be topped up by - what a surprise - more taxpayers' cash through tax credits and housing benefit. Absolutely mental.
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Companies want nice compliant workers. The test is to weed out those who might want better working conditions and rights.

Having read more about this company, their workers aren't even allowed toilet breaks. I don't know how anyone can work in those conditions.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A company wishes to betray the British people, and make a higher profit by employing cheap labour...

So what does it do? It pretends that British people are lazy.

Oldest trick going. Of course, this company makes it's luverly money by selling sandwiches to British people...