Options

Freddy Mercury - British or Asian?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    Surprised Sir Cliff Richard hasn't been mentioned!
    Been away since the 70's? :D
  • Options
    Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only thing the rest of the band did after Freddie's death was create a musical full of old Queen songs.

I absolutely agree with the poster who said that without Freddie they would have been nowhere and (as a HUGE Queen and Freddie fan) I absolutely cannot stand Brian May. He acts as if HE was the frontman of Queen and his head is bigger than planet Earth, whereas pretty much everyone thought of Queen as Freddie & Co.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why is it an either or question? He was both. British by nationality, birth and ethnicity and of Asian decent and ethnicity.

Perfectly put.
    He was happy to pretend he was 'blacking' up to play Mandela though.

Which film is that?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    Surprised Sir Cliff Richard hasn't been mentioned!

Pfft. Many in his generation were born in India. Julie Christie, George Orwell, Joanna Lumley, Vivien Leigh and Spike Milligan, for example.
  • Options
    StykerStyker Posts: 49,881
    Forum Member
    yaristaman wrote: »
    Forget Freddie. I'm curious to know when the hell Ben Kingsley played Mandela!!!

I didn't know that he had and having a mega quick skim look at this I couldn't see where/when he did either but have a look for yourself if you like.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Kingsley_filmography
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Maybe you haven't seen many of his posts then.

Oh so when have I ever called all white people racist against brown people?! Seeing as I have only ever exchanged messages with you on the LBC threads and nowhere else before this one, what are you basing it on too?

There is racism around and always has been but I have never said all white people are racist so stop implying that is what I have said! >:(
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Xela M wrote: »
    The only thing the rest of the band did after Freddie's death was create a musical full of old Queen songs.

I absolutely agree with the poster who said that without Freddie they would have been nowhere and (as a HUGE Queen and Freddie fan) I absolutely cannot stand Brian May. He acts as if HE was the frontman of Queen and his head is bigger than planet Earth, whereas pretty much everyone thought of Queen as Freddie & Co.

Freddie hated that though, He always said he was 25% of the band nothing more nothing less.
  • Options
    Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    Freddie hated that though, He always said he was 25% of the band nothing more nothing less.

He was being modest :p

He just didn't want to offend the other 3 members.
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Lots of people say they hate being the centre of attention. It's not compulsory to believe them, especially when they show other signs of loving it - which Freddie definitely did. I believe his protestations about as much as I did Michael Jacksons pleas that he just wanted to be ordinary.

Freddie Mercury was Queen. Just as MJ completed the Jacksons.
  • Options
    Chasing ShadowsChasing Shadows Posts: 3,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Plus two tours and two albums with Paul Rodgers (one live, one studio), and an up-coming tour with Adam Lambert.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He was being modest :p

He just didn't want to offend the other 3 members.

Well maybe ;-) though I don't think the band would have been as good without all 4 of them they all brought something to the table. Brian's Guitar sound, John's Bass lines and technology "Deacy Amp". Roger's powerful drumming and dog worrying high falsetto vocal. As well as they all wrote hit singles.

Freddie Mercury, Bohemian Rhapsody

Brian May, We Will Rock You

John Deacon, Another One Bites The Dust

Roger Taylor, Radio Ga Ga

Juat as an example of each members creativity.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    deleted
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lots of people say they hate being the centre of attention. It's not compulsory to believe them, especially when they show other signs of loving it - which Freddie definitely did. I believe his protestations about as much as I did Michael Jacksons pleas that he just wanted to be ordinary.

Freddie Mercury was Queen. Just as MJ completed the Jacksons.

Many actors/actresses/musician artists love being centre stage and to receive attention when performing but don't like it in their personal life.
  • Options
    Chasing ShadowsChasing Shadows Posts: 3,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    Ben Kingsley, born Krishna Pandit Bhanji played him in 1982
    Second and third line down

He is known for starring as Mohandas Gandhi in the film Gandhi in 1982

Nobody is questioning that Kingsley played Gandhi. People are asking for evidence regarding the OP's claim that he also played Nelson Mandela.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did anyone really not know that?:confused:

It wasn't a secret was it?

No it wasn't a secret, I read that he was from Zanzibar when he died.
  • Options
    The MartianThe Martian Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Each morning I get up I die a little
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nobody is questioning that Kingsley played Gandhi. People are asking for evidence regarding the OP's claim that he also played Nelson Mandela.

Ignore me I am going loopy today
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    Many actors/actresses/musician artists love being centre stage and to receive attention when performing but don't like it in their personal life.

This is so true of Freddie. He hated being recognized on the street, he was an intensly private man. When he was on stage as he said it's like acting he pretends to be a macho man but off stage he was shy and quiet.

Some people had a go at him after he died for keeping his illness a secret as they thought he could have done wonders to help people with Aids. However he did not want that and the only reason he let the press know he had Aids was because he knew he was not going to step outside his house ever again. He didnt and died the next day :(.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This is so true of Freddie. He hated being recognized on the street, he was an intensly private man. When he was on stage as he said it's like acting he pretends to be a macho man but off stage he was shy and quiet.

Some people had a go at him after he died for keeping his illness a secret as they thought he could have done wonders to help people with Aids. However he did not want that and the only reason he let the press know he had Aids was because he knew he was not going to step outside his house ever again. He didnt and died the next day :(.

The drugs used to treat people with HIV were not as effective back then were they so would he have been able to have done much to help people? If anything, I think because of the lack of effective treatment back then, had he revealed his condition well in advance of his death, he would have got a bad reaction from a fair few people. That's not me saying that I would have wanted to have seen that happen but I think its what would have happened and maybe he realised that too hence why he didn't reveal his illness until very late.

The video for These were the days of our lives made it pretty obvious that he looked very different and had that video come out in advance of his death, people would have guessed that he was suffering from a major illness.
  • Options
    Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    he is a legend but never really saw him as british. did he consider himself to be? i guess after living many years here he would have
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Each morning I get up I die a little

Can barely stand on your feet?
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yaristaman wrote: »
    Forget Freddie. I'm curious to know when the hell Ben Kingsley played Mandela!!!

On DS today and for one day only!

Mandella/ Ghandi, easy mistake to make................:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Those people clearly forgot what it was like back then. There was so much hostile prejudice against those who had HIV/AIDs and the gay men and Africans who they suspected were responsible for the outbreak (a.k.a. the gay disease and the black disease).

Those who kept it a secret were only human. Plus, I believe they were protecting their families and friends, who could be treated as outcasts for touching them. This was when some believed you can catch HIV/AIDs from a simple handshake.

Anyroad, actor Ian Charleson (best known for his role as Eric Liddell in Chariots of Fire) kept his HIV/AIDs illness a secret until his death. He however wanted his family and friends to publicise his illness after his death to raise awareness. So they did. It shocked quite a few people, which prompted the media to publish a few 'what you need to know about HIV/AIDs' articles. They wouldn't do this before so kudos to Charleson and his family for that.

Actor Rock Hudson also kept his illness a secret until his death. There were some denials about whether he had AIDS the day after his death until his family or friend admitted he died from a HIV-related illness a couple of days later. This helped increasing a drive of donations to HIV/AIDS charities worldwide.
  • Options
    The MartianThe Martian Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    Can barely stand on your feet?

Take a look in the mirror and cry
  • Options
    len112len112 Posts: 4,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His birth name was Farrouk Bulsara , the guy that shot Jill Dando used the name Barry Bulsara as he was a fan of Freddie .