Options

If you had a pill to end your life would you?

Comments

• Options
    JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kirkfnw wrote: »
    JurrasicMark must be depressed as he appears to be trolling and turns round and says he wasn't depressed when considering suicide. Got nothing else to do?

Incorrect use of the word trolling number 5219433.

Not depressed, just bored, but think I will vacate this thread as the "my opinion is a fact" regulars are starting to depress me, which according to some, would be a valid reason to take that pill.
  • Options
    Lordy LordyLordy Lordy Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My late Dad, bless him, had a massive stroke and was fed and had his most intimate bodily functions done by nurses for 6 months. We were told from day one he would never recover. He wouldn't have 'wanted' to have lived like this, he was a very proud man. So, yes, a pill would have been kinder in this circumstance.

My Mum, bless her. Has Altzheimers, she doesn't know whether to stick, twist or bust. Doesn't recognise anyone, claims no-one visits here even though she gets regular visits and pees and poohs where and when she likes. You wouldn't make a dog live like this so, again in this circumstance, a pill would be kinder.

To watch people you love have to go through this kind of thing is terrible so I'm guessing most of those here who protest the strongest have never had to deal with situations like those mentioned above.
  • Options
    HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    Some days yes without question I've attempted suicide before so if there was a quick and easy way I would have done it.

Today no it's almost Christmas and I love Christmas.

BIB.
    Now, that IS a good reason to have a pill. Christmas is a loathsome construct most of us have to endure or at least get through, as unscathed as possible.
  • Options
    Gloria FandangoGloria Fandango Posts: 3,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    radyag wrote: »
    If only, I would have done it years ago, I absolutely despise life, always have and always will till that final day comes, bring it on.

There is a genuine question that I would like to ask but don't know if I should? It may be offensive to some and make me come across as cold/unfeeling, which I am not.
  • Options
    Wee TinkersWee Tinkers Posts: 12,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. I'm terrified of dying. Not so much of death - I think that will just be nothingness so nothing really to fear - but of just not being alive. Maybe a time will come I will feel ready to go but right now I find it hard to imagine I'll ever be ready to never see my family again, and, well, to just not be me. I like living. It's what I know. I don't want it to be over.

I'm so so sorry others feel differently. I find this thread really hard to read. My heart goes out to anyone struggling.
    Yvo-50 wrote: »
    My GP has recently diagnosed me with depression. I am still capable of rational thoughts - was my GP wrong !:confused:

I don't think tws was suggesting people with depression have no rational thoughts, just that you don't stop having clinical depression simply by accepting there are others worse off than you. If only it were that easy to 'snap out of'. :(
    Are you ok scotty22 or is it just a general question? No offence to you but I hate when members ask questions like this in case they are alone and end up harming themselves.

If you or anyone else here is feeling really low please contact your GP or someone close to you or the Samaritans 24 hours a day on 08457 90 90 90 or email jo@samaritans.org

Just wanted to bump this really.

If you're struggling please please talk to someone.
  • Options
    VulpesVulpes Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a genuine question that I would like to ask but don't know if I should? It may be offensive to some and make me come across as cold/unfeeling, which I am not.

Never be afraid of asking questions.
  • Options
    .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    The way I see it is:

You take the pill and that's it, you're done. No chance to change your life, no chance to feel the release because you're dead.

Or you don't take the pill and you still have the chance to change your life forever.

The first one can be very tempting for some and it is certainly the 'easier' option, but you guarantee you lose. The second means you have every chance (and in many cases) a good chance of winning.

If a suicide pill was readily available, I'd only take it in the event of a terminal illness or impending doom, I think (and hope).
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Actually it requires courage

Perhaps "determination" would be a better choice of word, rather than "courage"?
  • Options
    Smithy1204Smithy1204 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't take it straight away. But if I was offered a pill that would end my life, I would keep it with me. As strange as it sounds, sometimes I find it comforting to know that I could choose to end my life if I just take that 'one final step'.
  • Options
    scotchscotch Posts: 10,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh I would.

I've had a terrible life for years now - all down to bad health.

No sign of health getting better and things only get worse. Years I've been fighting to just make it through the day and then try to sleep.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone who finds themselves in a situation where they feel the only way out is to kill themselves should have our sympathy.

Think about what it actually means to kill yourself, it goes against all our desires as humans so to call it cowardly is just plain wrong.

The smugness that some people show when talking about suicide victims is astounding to me. Feeling superior to some of the most desperate people on the planet, get a grip you morons.
  • Options
    TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    Yvo-50 wrote: »
    My GP has recently diagnosed me with depression. I am still capable of rational thoughts - was my GP wrong !:confused:

obviously there is a scale from mild to moderate to clinical but feel free to be pedantic about it, most suicidal people will be on the extremis. I was actually addressing an individual poster.

Some people can and do see there are others that are worse off and are on the milder end of things, whereas with more clinical depression it is a lot harder to see that others are worse off and appreciate the little you do have as your thinking becomes quite insular and you can only focus on your own problems and life not life / world as a whole.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jefferson wrote: »
    Why not be honest yourself and YOU tell us if you would?
    He's very quiet :blush:
  • Options
    JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's very quiet :blush:

Do you know if he's been back at all?

Is it common for people to start threads and then disappear?
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jefferson wrote: »
    Do you know if he's been back at all?

Is it common for people to start threads and then disappear?
    OP's last posting was starting this thread at 0345hr but some people get a kick from starting threads on controversial subjects and 'disappearing'. They like reading the responses. It's a form of attention seeking.

I saw it last night and quite frankly surprised anyone would use a forum to ask such a thing. If they need help there is plenty of professional help out there just a phone call away.
  • Options
    SirMickTravisSirMickTravis Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is controversial - but ultimately to live or die is all a matter of opinion. There is no objective reason to live rather than die. All these people saying that suicide is ridiculous should realise that life is only meaningful if WE CHOOSE to give it meaning. Saying you want to die is no more crazy than saying you want to live. Most people tend to be in the latter camp though.
  • Options
    Wee TinkersWee Tinkers Posts: 12,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scotch wrote: »
    Oh I would.

I've had a terrible life for years now - all down to bad health.

No sign of health getting better and things only get worse. Years I've been fighting to just make it through the day and then try to sleep.

I'm really sorry to hear that. I hope you have some support. Take care. :)
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That speaks volumes about your limited thought processes. You have no understanding or knowledge of how some people can be in a place that's so overwhelming and painful that the only way, at that time, to put an end to the pain is to put an end to their life.

^ This.
  • Options
    Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess the question comes with the territory a lot of people who use forums suffer depression
  • Options
    wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, suicide is cowardly.

It's not cowardly, more often than not it's the end result of severe depression or mental illness.
  • Options
    mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »

Should they be for sale in Boots? Absolutely not.
    Given the palaver I had there yesterday getting hold of some Migraleve, good luck with that one anyway.
    Can you imagine the questions?
    Have you used these before :confused:
    Are you on any other medication?
  • Options
    mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not cowardly, more often than not it's the end result of severe depression or mental illness.

Or maybe a perfectly rational decision.
    I once had to dissuade someone with a diagnosis of Alzheimer's from suicide while knowing that would be a route I would consider for myself.
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not at the moment, no.

But in the future when I start to get old and infirm...yeah, probably.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    What a strange thread.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    scotty22 wrote: »
    painless etc... be honest.

Not at the moment thanks:)