Importing to iTunes - AAC or MP3?

TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
Forum Member
I have decided to put a whole lot of music on to my PC both for space saving and easier access. iTunes gives me several choices including AAC (the default) and MP3 format.

Althought I have an iPad something tells me that MP3 might be better for use on other devices. Are there also easy ways to convert from one to the other if necessary?

Anybody got any thoughts based on practical experience?

TVMIA

Comments

• dazn12dazn12 Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    If you have a lot of space to store the music on, I would personally go for a Lossless format - as you are using iTunes, Apple Lossless format.

Regarding AAC & MP3, these days I don't think it matters as much as it did years ago. Most new tech will happily play both formats.
  • TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
    Forum Member
    Thanks for reply, Kargo. I think that answers the question. I'll go for the AAC default.

Lossless is a good suggestion but I have several thousand tracks to load in before I start on the old vinyl and also my hearing, for replay, probably is not what it used to be! I still have the CDs anyway.
  • ArtificialIntelArtificialIntel Posts: 89
    Forum Member
    I put all my music into AAC format and then found that some streaming media players will only play mp3 etc.

Local playing, ipod etc were, of course, fine.

So it depends what you want to do with it.

John
  • MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TeeGee wrote: »
    Thanks for reply, Kargo. I think that answers the question. I'll go for the AAC default.

Lossless is a good suggestion but I have several thousand tracks to load in

AAC is lossless - I thought.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No. It's a lossy format.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Audio_Coding
  • GormagonGormagon Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

ACC has both a lossy and lossless variant.

If you want to archive your music go for a lossless format, if you want to put music onto a portable device choose a lossy to save space.

What level of compression you are happy with will be entirely up to you, some people can hear the differences even at very high conversion rates. You'll need to experiment a little to figure out if you can hear the differences, and what level you would be happy iwth.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,623
    Forum Member
    I FLAC'd all my CDs to my laptop which has plenty of storage then MP3'd those to my MP3 player and phone which are more restricted in storage and when playback will be through earphones etc which do not have the capability of my home hi fi set up.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormagon wrote: »
    ACC has both a lossy and lossless variant.

If you want to archive your music go for a lossless format, if you want to put music onto a portable device choose a lossy to save space.

What level of compression you are happy with will be entirely up to you, some people can hear the differences even at very high conversion rates. You'll need to experiment a little to figure out if you can hear the differences, and what level you would be happy iwth.

There's nothing coming up in Google about ACC for audio codecs. Unless you meant AAC.

Edit: There doesn't seem to be anything coming up for AAC in a lossless format. ALAC is lossless though, it's a codec developed by Apple.
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member
    If you want to guarantee compatibility with other devices then stick to Mp3. Stay away from VBR though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    s2k wrote: »
    If you want to guarantee compatibility with other devices then stick to Mp3. Stay away from VBR though.

If they don't fancy an iPod nano, then maybe sticking to MP3 would be better. More support for AAC files needs to be added to personal audio players by companies who make them.
    Forum Member
    Thanks for comments! Have decided that if I need anything in MP3 format I will convert them but intend to do most playing via Apple software.

One thing that really has irritated me though is the lack of artwork when importing to iTuines. All are original CDs yet barely one in ten seem to have any associated artwork. I am sure that Microsoft do better than that with their Media Player. Hey ho! :(
  • Dark 1Dark 1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for comments! Have decided that if I need anything in MP3 format I will convert them but intend to do most playing via Apple software.

One thing that really has irritated me though is the lack of artwork when importing to iTuines. All are original CDs yet barely one in ten seem to have any associated artwork. I am sure that Microsoft do better than that with their Media Player. Hey ho! :(

I would be surprised if that were really the case. Are you sure the ID3 tags are correct? They may need to exactly match as they appear in the iTunes store to tie them together. What does it say when you select get album artwork? And are these albums in the iTunes store?
    Forum Member
    Selecting get artwork. Simply says it cannot be found. Media Player does seem to give alternatives if an exact match cannot be found.

I suppose quite a few of my collection are not currently available which could be the answer. I can always scan them in later but right now I just need to clear the shelves!
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aac is great at low bitrates such as 64K.
    But at high rates 256K there is minimal between them, some preferring aac to mp3 and vice versa.

Most go for mp3 for wider compatibility.
  • SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    iTunes isn't good at fuzzy matching of album artwork to MP3 titles, so even minor variations seem to cause it problems and it fails to find the artwork. It doesn't help that too many albums have spurious info in the title tag e.g. 'DE LUXE JAPANESE EDITION!!!!' or the never-useful 'includes bonus track'.

If you have the time & the inclination download any of the free MP3 Tag Editor apps and edit album & track titles as appropriate, then reimport and retry the artwork get.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    aac is great at low bitrates such as 64K.
    But at high rates 256K there is minimal between them, some preferring aac to mp3 and vice versa.

Most go for mp3 for wider compatibility.

MP3 sounds great. After not hearing it for about five years, I was surprised to find that it was a lot better than I remember.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rockbox your Ipod if it is one that can be Rockbox'd, then use MP3s and FLAC.

No more Itunes and you can just drag and drop.

Best move I've ever made re my IPod Classic.