Heating a 10 ft Paddling Pool

coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just set up a new 10 foot bestway paddling pool , its quite big and has a filter system a cover and takes lots of water

like this

http://www.prezzybox.com/data/media/12650.jpg

Is there any cheapish way of heating the water in it ?

Do the solar pool covers actually work ?

Any advice .

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We have one slightly larger and we worked it out to be about £10 for 24 hours constant use of the heater. There are so many second hand heaters electric heaters out there, that it begs the question why are they being sold.

The solar covers sort of work but no real difference to the water at the bottom.

I think the best bet is to brave the cold water and hope for lots of sunny days.
  • coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have not got a heater , I was after advice on how much they are and any cheaper tips such as the solar covers

They managed today with cold water fill and it was in the mid 20's in the garden in the sunshine

Its to big to keep emptying once its up
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,803
    Forum Member
    miafi wrote: »

I think the best bet is to brave the cold water and hope for lots of sunny days.

I was just thinking that surely the idea is to hop in these when it's sweltering, so the colder the water the better! I imagine on warm days the sun naturally warms the water to a comfortable level anyway? I remember as kid our old outdoor pool (proper swimming pool at the leisure centre) which wasn't heated was lovely on warm days jumping into cool off, got a bit nippy if it wasn't warm weather though still swimmable once you got over the intial shock when you first jumped in!

(sorry no help to the original question;))
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I brought the heater up because its a method of heating the swimming pool. But we've found them to be useless so I was advising you against them.

We also ahve a solar cover which also does nothing because of the lack of sun and the amount of water.

Why don't you keep it up and get a cover for it, it'll keep it clean and possibly keep the chill off it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    miafi wrote: »
    I brought the heater up because its a method of heating the swimming pool. But we've found them to be useless so I was advising you against them.

We also ahve a solar cover which also does nothing because of the lack of sun and the amount of water.

Why don't you keep it up and get a cover for it, it'll keep it clean and possibly keep the chill off it.

ok,thanks ,it should have come with the cover, but we bought it from Woolies @ £15 last year , so I can't complain as it wasn't included .In the shop today the were £60 for the same pool

I bought the proper Bestway cover for it today @ £7.99 , they tried to sell me the solar cover , it looked just like bubble wrap to be honest .

I was thinking the solar cover was pants ,but the heater would be a must have , due to the amount of water in the pool
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was just thinking that surely the idea is to hop in these when it's sweltering, so the colder the water the better! I imagine on warm days the sun naturally warms the water to a comfortable level anyway? I remember as kid our old outdoor pool (proper swimming pool at the leisure centre) which wasn't heated was lovely on warm days jumping into cool off, got a bit nippy if it wasn't warm weather though still swimmable once you got over the intial shock when you first jumped in!

(sorry no help to the original question;))

Hey , tell that to the moaning 8 y o who says its f-r-e-e-z-i-n-g :)
  • dollymariedollymarie Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Next door to us have a proper big swimming pool, its built upwards off the ground and is about 20 ft long. They have this thing that plugs into the electric and hovers about inside, heating the water up as it moves about.

Not sure how economical it is or anything, but they just put theirs on about an hour or so before they want to go in the pool, and then the temperature is bearable when you get in.

(yes theyve let me in once or twice :cool: )
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought the proper Bestway cover for it today @ £7.99 , they tried to sell me the solar cover , it looked just like bubble wrap to be honest .

I was thinking the solar cover was pants ,but the heater would be a must have , due to the amount of water in the pool

We had one of the bubble wrap type ones and it seemed to perish by the end of the season and when we got out of the water we would be covered in little blue plastic dots that had dropped off when we took the cover off each time.

I suppose it must have kept a bit of heat in when we covered the pool each night, but I can't say it was ever warm any deeper than 6 inches below the surface.

Watching this thread as I am hoping to buy a proper heater for the pool this year too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the problem isnt heating the water, its keeping the heat within the pool.

to start with:
    you need to put something between the ground & the bottom of the pool, to act as an insulator between the 2.
    something like a foam camping mat: http://www.outdoorfox.co.uk/images/t_6_01.jpg

overnight, you then need to cover the surface with something to stop the heat escaping straight away. it also stops leaves etc getting into the water.
    if you have it on during the day, the darker the colour, the more it will heat up.

last thing to do, if you want to keep more heat in, is to insulate the sides of the pool with something, even a couple of layers of bubble-wrap may do it, just to slow down heat loss.

for heating, depends on how permanent an installation the pool will be.
    if the plan is to keep it up for most of the year, have a look at proper solar pool heating, with a solar collector & piping, which takes the water from the pool, uses the sun to heat it, then back to the pool.
  • -N34-N34 Posts: 1,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would you heat something in this weather? If you don't have heater put something black over it (once filled up) and leave it out for an hour in this hot weather and the next thing you'll know it will be hot.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -N34 wrote: »
    Why would you heat something in this weather? If you don't have heater put something black over it (once filled up) and leave it out for an hour in this hot weather and the next thing you'll know it will be hot.

Someone who clearly as a simplistic view ?

You are you aware that it contains about 1000 gallons of water .

A black sack for an hour is going to do diddly squat to 1000 gallons of water is it ?

maybe with an inch of water your theory may work

Its the kids that feel the cold

Have you clicked the link to see the size and depth of it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -N34 wrote: »

Because the coldness bites your limbs and causes numbness.

We had ours up all one summer and covered it each night, by September the bits you put in the pool weren't quite so cold as they were in June, but you had to move darn fast to keep blood circulating.

I think Coops calling it a paddling pool made it sound smaller than it is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    innocent. wrote: »

I think Coops calling it a paddling pool made it sound smaller than it is.

I guess paddling pools of the past were 3 foot and a couple of inch deep

Click the link and see the size and understand the amount of still water in there

Is it a paddling pool , splash pool or swimming pool ?

Ps , been called worse things than coops :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess paddling pools of the past were 3 foot and a couple of inch deep

Click the link and see the size and understand the amount of still water in there

Is it a paddling pool , splash pool or swimming pool ?

Mine's sort of the same size give or take a few feet and I call it a swimming pool as I have notions of grandeur and a little of the Hyacinth Bucket in me :)

Have you checked your pm's recently ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you checked your pm's recently ?

yes , have you ? :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes , have you ? :)

Ha yes :) All sorted, I'll share it and we can have a 50p heater each.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ha yes :) All sorted, I'll share it and we can have a 50p heater each.

some @ 99p on ebay a few days to go though
  • rob1973rob1973 Posts: 4,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just lob a toaster in!! :D

Disclaimer..under no circumstances listen to me!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rob1973 wrote: »
    Just lob a toaster in!! :D

Disclaimer..under no circumstances listen to me!

oh dear :eek:
  • tim1964tim1964 Posts: 829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We top our 10 footer off with hot water from the tap. It's surprising the difference with about 10 buckets of hot water even though the pool holds 5000 litres !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had the same problem with my pool.

I just went out and brought my six year old a cheap wet suit :D
  • simon1simon1 Posts: 237
    Forum Member
    Just set up a new 10 foot bestway paddling pool , its quite big and has a filter system a cover and takes lots of water

like this

http://www.prezzybox.com/data/media/12650.jpg

Is there any cheapish way of heating the water in it ?

Do the solar pool covers actually work ?

Any advice .

I've got an 8ft INTEX pool (similar setup with 240v filter). You have no hope of heating the water with anything less than 2x (two) 3kw heaters. The solar cover will help keep the heat in (some of it, anyway), but that's all.

People on here have no idea how cold the water is in such a large pool (even on a hot day). It really is nice submerging yourself into nice warm water.

I use two of these connected in series with the the filter pump.

It takes an hour to raise the temp by 1*°C - 1.5°C with one heater, which is why I use two. The manufacturers claim of being suitable for pools upto to 15ft is quite frankly laughable.

You can buy these from ebay for around £50 - £60.

I have my heaters plugged into an outside weatherproof twin electrical socket, with the filter plugged in elsewhere.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 141
    Forum Member
    ive got one of those quick up pools. and have to say keeping it not so freezing is a tough job!! however.....its GREAT for keeping cans cold!!! i just tend to get over it and try and move around a bit then im good, especially once ive found a can of cider!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    This is what I did to our 12 ft pool. Works brilliant!
    Cheap as well. Just go to a building site and ask for scrap.

I spent about £26 on the Solar Panel and about £12 on the solar cover.
    My beloved wife use to fill the pool up with hot water for the kids every third day. That cost about £13 on the gas. So really.. ROI is like 3 fillings.

19th May 2014 the pool hit 27C and today the pool hit 25C after two days with sunny spells.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytzBoFUvLUI
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you have an easyset pool that can take a pump, then both intex and bestway do recirculating heaters, use one of those, and add a few kettles of boiled water, i reckon.