Options

Sky Broadband Laptop cannot see the wireless router

coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have a Sagem Sky Router , my laptop is wireless,when I turn my laptop off at night and then restart it the next evening the laptop cannot then see the Sky wireless network connection

But I have a Three Mifi if I start this up my Laptop finds and connects to the three Mifi wireless connection and then if by magic I can suddenly see the Sky Wireless network and connect to it

If I don't start the Mifi then I can't log onto the Sky wireless network

Anyone tell me why , and because I won't have my Mifi Friday,Saturday so I won't be able to do the work around so no internet at the weekend

Comments

• Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,942
    Forum Member
    Go to "Network and Sharing Center" in Control Panel on your laptop (I assume it's not a Macbook or Windows XP/98!) and click on the "connections" link at the top right.
    The "Wi-Fi Status" box should appear. Click on "Wireless Properties" and make sure that "Connect automatically......" is checked.
    Could be many things, but this setting being wrong could be one of them.
    The other two options on that box aren't checked on my system, but may be worth experimenting with them.
    :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Dave , Yes its ticked to connect automatically,any other ideas ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Is the wireless connection icon being shown in the system tray?
    If so, click it and see if a list of available connections comes up.
    Yours should be there (along with your neighbours' wi-fi) and it should be set to connect automatically.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave-H wrote: »
    Is the wireless connection icon being shown in the system tray?
    If so, click it and see if a list of available connections comes up.
    Yours should be there (along with your neighbours' wi-fi) and it should be set to connect automatically.

Yes the wireless icon always appears in the task bar but the list is only my neighbours connections but there is no sign of my Sky wireless connection

So then I fire up the three Mifi , that is then listed in my wireless list , and after about 30 seconds then the Sky wireless connection also appears,but it will not appear unless I turn on the Mifi
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My understanding of "MiFi" is that it is a device that enables you to connect your laptop wirelessly to the internet using your mobile phone instead of using your conventional ADSL router, in this case from Sky.
    If that is the case. I would expect your MiFi device and your Sky router would appear as separate devices to your laptop's wi-fi receiver, allowing you to choose between them.
    Is it possible that your MiFi device and your Sky router are using the same wi-fi channel and are therefore clashing?
    If your laptop can see your neighbours' wi-fi signals it doesn't sound like it's an issue with the laptop.
    If you can get a connection using your Sky router by any means, try logging into the router (http://192.168.0.1/) and select the "further diagnostic help" link. You will then need to log in, using user name "admin" and password "sky".
    Select "setup" at the top of the screen, and look at the wi-fi settings below. The channel is probably on "auto".
    Try a different higher number channel (to avoid possible clashes with your neighbours) say channel 10.
    Apply the setting at the bottom of the page and log out (top right). See if that makes a difference. Your laptop should still find the connection automatically.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Download and install inSSIDer

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

it is a very useful tool for diagnosing WiFi issues. It shows what WiFi signals are being received by the laptop and may give you a clue as to where your Sky connection is hiding. eg it may be being blatted out by another signal. And it may poit you at a clearer channel you can use.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to clarify

I normally use the wireless Sky router to connect my laptop to the WWW, I start up my laptop and it automatically connects to the Sky Router

But in the last week, when I power up my laptop , it does not automatically connect to the www via the Sky wireless router,when I look at the list of available wireless connections my Sky connection does not appear,leaving me without internet access

Now I also have a Three Mifi , which is effectively doing the same job as the Sky router,it takes a mobile sim card and you connect laptops,mobiles etc wirelessly to the Mifi to get internet access when away from home or a land line

When I could not get internet access via sky I fired up my MIFI and quickly my laptop connected automatically via wireless using the MIFI and appeared in the wireless list,but then as if by magic after connecting the MIFI the Sky connection appears in the list,I disconnect from the MIFI and connect via Sky with no problems,until I close my laptop down then I have to power up the MIFI and connect to allow the Sky to become visible.

Is it a Firewall problem I am thinking , I use Zonealarm

Something makes the Sky connection invisible until I start up my Mifi then it becomes viewable

checking on inSSIDER

My Mifi operates on Channel 6 and my Sky router operates on Channel 13

Some of my neighbours use Ch 11 or other use Ch 1 which seems ok as you should leave 2 channels apart from other users to stop clashing,which I am on both set ups ?
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    try deleting the sky wifi from the list of preferred networks, and then adding it again from scratch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    try deleting the sky wifi from the list of preferred networks, and then adding it again from scratch.

Thanks I have deleted Zonealrm for now and I am using the Wimdows fiewall,if this doesn't help I will give your comment a try
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks I have deleted Zonealrm for now and I am using the Wimdows fiewall,if this doesn't help I will give your comment a try

also, are you letting windows manage wifi connections or the tool from the wifi card manufacturer?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    also, are you letting windows manage wifi connections or the tool from the wifi card manufacturer?

Yes.I am

I just rebooted my laptop and again it could not see the Sky router when I restarted it

I deleted the Sky Wifi I noticed it was security type WPA2-PSK and when I have re-added it,it shows as WPA-PSK

I am going to re-start my laptop and see if it will now see the Sky connection
    Deleting Zonealarm did diddly squat
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes.I am

I just rebooted my laptop and again it could not see the Sky router when I restarted it

I deleted the Sky Wifi I noticed it was security type WPA2-PSK and when I have re-added it,it shows as WPA-PSK

I am going to re-start my laptop and see if it will now see the Sky connection
    Deleting Zonealarm did diddly squat

check your router to see which encryption it is set to.
    you want it to be WPA2.... WPA is not advised any more (and WEP is even worse).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have reset the router to factory settings and it seems to have cured it

We did have disconnection problems caused by the recent software update released by Sky then cured by rolling it back,maybe something got corrupt in the rollback

details of the SW rollback here

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband-Setup-Connection-WiFi/Evening-Disconnects-Sagem-Router-Sort-of-Fix/td-p/879966

Fingers crossed I am cured , I have re-started my laptop 10 times and its automatically found and connected to the Sky wireless network

And I am on WPA2 - PSK
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Glad it's sorted!
    Fingers crossed that it stays that way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes all sorted , thanks for the input,it is appreciated