Options

Meatloaf In Concert - Sheffield Arena

coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Did anyone go the Sheffield concert last night ?

What did you think ?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    I did. I was watching TV when a friend of mine turned up, told me to get changed because we were going. She was supposed to have gone with her mum who let her down, so I went instead.

It was good and it was disappointing at the same time to be honest. I last saw him in concert around 10 years ago, and it was superb back then. Last night I felt he was a shadow of his former self, and I actually felt quite sad about it. He most definitely struggled, but occasionally there were the flashes of the old Meat Loaf that came through such as during Bat Out Of Hell, but overall it was quite sad to see him the way he is today.
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this should be in the music forum
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did. I was watching TV when a friend of mine turned up, told me to get changed because we were going. She was supposed to have gone with her mum who let her down, so I went instead.

It was good and it was disappointing at the same time to be honest. I last saw him in concert around 10 years ago, and it was superb back then. Last night I felt he was a shadow of his former self, and I actually felt quite sad about it. He most definitely struggled, but occasionally there were the flashes of the old Meat Loaf that came through such as during Bat Out Of Hell, but overall it was quite sad to see him the way he is today.

He has been quite unwell for the last few years, hasn't he?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I also last saw him 10 years ago ish ( at Sheffield) and went last night

It was painful to see such a mighty man, a shadow of his former self,hopefully his mobility problems is due to his recent knee surgery,but his general health seems bad

I think someone close to him should say the time to quit as come

There were people around saying he was fantastic whilst others,myself included where left thinking we were watching a different set
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this should be in the music forum

Fantastic input
  • Options
    Forum Member
    He has been quite unwell for the last few years, hasn't he?

He has indeed. He's also been ill more recently too and cancelled the concerts before this one. He's had a cyst on his vocal chords, major knee surgery and has to have more knee surgery. Given all of that it was quite impressive that he even made it to stage, never mind a nearly three hour concert.

It was just a bit sad, as a lifelong Meat Loaf fan who has seen him in concert several times, to see him the way he is now. But as this is his farewell tour, I couldn't say no when asked to go.
  • Options
    Forum Member

It was painful to see such a mighty man, a shadow of his former self

There were people around saying he was fantastic whilst others,myself included where left thinking we were watching a different set

To be fair he is quitting. This is his last tour, and a few weeks ago I read an article where he was saying this was his farewell to the fans and he felt he had to do it despite his health, to say goodbye.
  • Options
    getzlsgetzls Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I last seen him two years ago.

O.K. not great any more, but no one can force his voice the way he does and expect it to sound as good as it was say, 30 years ago.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair he is quitting. This is his last tour, and a few weeks ago I read an article where he was saying this was his farewell to the fans and he felt he had to do it despite his health, to say goodbye.

I guess you don't recall he had his farewell tour in 2005,he obviously said goodbye then but he has decided to have "Another" farewell tour
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess you don't recall he had his farewell tour in 2005,he obviously said goodbye then but he has decided to have "Another" farewell tour

Must be short on funds. :p I used to love Meatloaf back in the day. Never went to a concert though, but I bet they were great.
  • Options
    pinkyponk34pinkyponk34 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've heard even at his peak his shows were hit and miss depending on his voice and his mood.

But to be fair most of the Classic Meatloaf songs are real throat rippers and a lot seem to be in a key that he struggles to reach nowadays.
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw him on the Bat 2 tour, and he was brilliant. I've seen a few shows on tv from recent tours, and realised it was not worth spending money on going to see a pale imitation of his former self.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member

It was painful to see such a mighty man, a shadow of his former self,hopefully his mobility problems is due to his recent knee surgery,but his general health seems bad

He was interviewed a few weeks back and pretty much said he could hardly walk
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like Meatloaf, sad to hear his health isn't great these days.

Some of his songs are great, I love a good old singalong to Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    getzls wrote: »
    I last seen him two years ago.

O.K. not great any more, but no one can force his voice the way he does and expect it to sound as good as it was say, 30 years ago.

True.

I saw Bruce Springsteen a couple of years ago, and I actually thought he had gotten better over the years. But I guess the type of songs Bruce sings don't take as much out of his voice as Meat Loaf's do.
  • Options
    yoyo_ninja_girlyoyo_ninja_girl Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    I went to his Farewell Tour in either 2001 or 2002 again in Sheffield, and it was the best concert I had ever been to, he had just come out of hospital after a heart scare and had to cancel some shows and this was the first night he had back on tour, he came out on a hospital trolley to poke fun at it and he turned the hour and a half show into 3 hours of pure entertainment.

I wanted to see him this time round but after seeing a few of his recent performances I didnt want to have a disapointed feeling, not that it would be his fault, but I wanted to remember that one night of amazing songs :)

I just hope for the sake of his health, that this tour really is his Farewell tour and he can sit back and enjoy the money he has made with his family :)
  • Options
    jrmswfcjrmswfc Posts: 5,644
    Forum Member
    Meat Loaf was the first proper gig that I ever went to, at Sheffield (City Hall) in 1987. He was brilliant that night, played for about 4 hours. Seen him several times since then, and every time he got that little bit worse, so much so that I didn't even bother with his last couple of tours. Sadly, he really should have retired when he said he would instead of pushing himself through another farewell tour and tarnishing his legend a bit further, it's like a former top footballer forcing his aged body to try and get through a Conference North season.