Options

It's A Wonderful Life

Seagull259Seagull259 Posts: 1,519
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Due to be shown by More 4 today but "in a change to our published schedule".........instead Jamie Oliver?! Why?

Comments

• Options
    Ben_Fisher1Ben_Fisher1 Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't tell you. But can say that I loathe that film. it is one of the most slushy movies ever, the only good thing in it is Stewart's performance.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's on next Saturday on More 4 at 4.15. Maybe you got the dates wrong.
  • Options
    Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,198
    Forum Member
    Can't tell you. But can say that I loathe that film. it is one of the most slushy movies ever, the only good thing in it is Stewart's performance.

I agree, for me one of the mot overrated films ever, and a deserved flop when it was first released, I remember, because I was around then. ;-)
  • Options
    Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A great movie classic. A true tearjerker and outstanding acting.

11/10
  • Options
    Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great film, but my favorite of the Capra/Stewart collaborations is Mr Smith Goes To Washington.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Slushy? I'd go for 'depressing'. I don't hate this film at all, but it does have a tendency to make me want to slash my wrists while the end credits roll. :D
  • Options
    vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yet another overhyped American 'phenomenon' (like Thanksgiving) we are all supposedly meant to find essential. The overacting is almost painful to watch and the concept is cribbed from Dickens' Christmas Carol. Give me a version of that any day.
  • Options
    LaineyTLaineyT Posts: 6,392
    Forum Member
    O M G :o
    Heres me thinking IM the only person on the earth who cant see what all the fuss is over this film.

Over the years people have said its a brilliant film. So I finally got to watch it one Sunday. I turned it off after 45 mins. Now dont get me wrong I love a good xmas film. Even the ones with Dolly Parton in :D.. But this one leaves me cold.
  • Options
    Seagull259Seagull259 Posts: 1,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's on next Saturday on More 4 at 4.15. Maybe you got the dates wrong.

Thanks for that. Seems to have been scheduled for 2 Saturdays running - yesterday was supposed to be 3.50pm.

Seems this film rather divides opinion to say the least!!
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like most old films, its not so good.

Yankee doodle dandy is worth a watch.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seagull259 wrote: »

For sure. My mum absolutely won't allow me say a bad word about this film in her house. Not even on my birthday. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Like most old films, its not so good.

You must be very young to make such a sweeping statement. ;-)

I would rather watch a 60 year old Classic film than any current release, but then I am very old. :D
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seagull259 wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Seems to have been scheduled for 2 Saturdays running - yesterday was supposed to be 3.50pm.

Well, I like it. :p This thread's reminded me to watch it again next week.
  • Options
    nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched this film for the first time recently and I was very disappointed with it. I hadn't realised it was all about money.

Having said that, James Stewart was very good, as always.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You must be very young to make such a sweeping statement. ;-)

I would rather watch a 60 year old Classic film than any current release, but then I am very old. :D

Au contraire mon brave. I am not very young. In most fields of human endeavour modern stuff is better than old stuff (although painters and composers especially, and one playwright get away with being old.) Modern movies are pound for pound far better than old movies. ,in particular the production valus and special effects are nothing like as good in old stuff.

Some are watchable, but most arent. I like many of the old english kitchen sink dramas. Spring and port wine, a kind of loving and so on, but if they had made many of the old films nowadays, they would have a completely different look and feel.

I know film is different to tv, because film lasts better. Most old tv is hardly watchable. I watched a couple of episodes of day of the triffids on bbc4, and gave up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Au contraire mon brave. I am not very young. In most fields of human endeavour modern stuff is better than old stuff (although painters and composers especially, and one playwright get away with being old.) Modern movies are pound for pound far better than old movies. ,in particular the production valus and special effects are nothing like as good in old stuff.

Some are watchable, but most arent. I like many of the old english kitchen sink dramas. Spring and port wine, a kind of loving and so on, but if they had made many of the old films nowadays, they would have a completely different look and feel.

I know film is different to tv, because film lasts better. Most old tv is hardly watchable. I watched a couple of episodes of day of the triffids on bbc4, and gave up.

Personally, I couldn't care less about special effects, what I want is a good story, and there were some brilliant screenplays in the 1930's and '40's, often from great writers like Raymond Chandler, James M Cain, and F. Scott Fitzgerald, which is why they have remade so many of the Classics, and they are never as good as the original.

I used to go to my local cinema's at least four times a week in the 1950's. I haven't been for the last two years and have no wish to, especially as I have enough of my favourite films on tape and DVD to last me for the rest of my life. :)
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's a beautiful film. Pretty dark for a lot of the time, and it's one of my favourite performances by a favourite actor. Stewart absolutely acts his socks off in it.
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't like this film & feel like a pariah when I say it as this film is apparently untouchable.
  • Options
    JayDee279JayDee279 Posts: 3,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was great, the first time I saw it. Sat down in eager anticipation the next time it was on and after about 30 mins was shouting at the TV "Get on with it!"
    It's a bit like Hitchcock's "The Birds"; I forgot just how long it is before the action starts :-)
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    JayDee279 wrote: »
    I thought it was great, the first time I saw it. Sat down in eager anticipation the next time it was on and after about 30 mins was shouting at the TV "Get on with it!"
    It's a bit like Hitchcock's "The Birds"; I forgot just how long it is before the action starts :-)

Action? Oh, that's right; the bit where George
    strips to his vest, gets tooled up with loads of guns and goes blazing into Old Man Potter's bank to get his money back.

And the bit where Clarence
    arrives on earth, beats up a gang of bikers before taking a biker's clothes and Harley and tells George "come with me if you want to live".
  • Options
    SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,247
    Forum Member
    I find all 'themed' films rather heavy going, this one included. I'm not one for themes as they remove the realism and believability.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Overlong shite. I just can't see why so many people rate this as a "classic".
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To this day I have never seen this film. Only the end scene where he runs down the street. It was funny when The Simpsons parodied it.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was rather surprised when I finally saw it to find the bit with George and Clarence, which I thought was the main story, occurs quite late in the film, as does Sophie's Choice.
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only the last 15 minutes of the film are good.