Beyonce VS Christina - who has the best voice?

Comments

• BoxfreshBoxfresh Posts: 2,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LiveFTW! wrote: »
    Well in my opinion I think Beyonce is better than Mary and Aretha.

Oh lawd!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boxfresh wrote: »
    Oh lawd!

LOL :D. Can't help it but I just like Beyonce's style of singing and her tone better than I do Aretha or Mary's. All three are great singers but Bey edges it for me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well in my opinion I think Beyonce is better than Mary and Aretha.

mary maybe, aretha never.
    Aretha Franklin is a "bad" technical singer, according to most standards people on these boards use. As is Mary J. Blige. They can sing buck wild and go for broke, because they haven't been trained to death not to take any risks, like Beyonce.

Lemme guess, Beyonce is better than them as well.

no, guess failed. risk taking can be good, if performed by a talented enough vocalist (aretha for example).
  • MikePJBMikePJB Posts: 5,514
    Forum Member
    Are these 'risks' belting notes or something? if so Christina shouldn't be taking them anymore because she can't really do them these days. Plus she dodges a lot of them now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MikePJB wrote: »
    Are these 'risks' belting notes or something? if so Christina shouldn't be taking them anymore because she can't really do them these days. Plus she dodges a lot of them now.

Christina takes risks in a variety of ways. She's never been interested in being the perfect robo-singer (even though her technical ability is vast).

An example...when she sang "It's A Man's Man's World" at
    the Grammy's, she punctuated her vocals with a lot of gutteral sounds, and a bit of genuine screaming...to those who know nothing about James Brown, it might seem strange, but she paid homage to the man's vocal style (that's what he did)....the vocal wasn't "perfect" in the technical sense, but it's the sort of freewheeling,throwing caution to the wind genius none of her peers (in the pop sphere) can come close to matching. She sang it with almost as much grit and gusto as one of the rawest, most unpredictable MALE soul singers who ever drew breath. I was shocked she pulled it off, and it put her on a totally different level.

It's notable that after that performance, Celine Dione started calling Aguilera the greatest singer in the world, and incorporated a version of Christina's rendition of "It's A Man's Man's World" into her tour.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very tough, but I'll say Beyonce. I think she's more versatile.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christina takes risks in a variety of ways. She's never been interested in being the perfect robo-singer.

An example...when she sang "It's A Man's Man's World" atthe Grammy's, she punctuated her vocals with a lot of gutteral sounds, and a bit of genuine screaming...to those who know nothing about James Brown, it might seem strange, but she paid homage to the man's vocal style (that's what he did)....the vocal wasn't "perfect" in the technical sense, but it's the sort of freewheeling,throwing caution to the wind genius none of her peers (in the pop sphere) can come close to matching

james brown sounds good being gutteral, christina sounds out of her depth. comparing the two is embarrasing.

and of course celine was copying christina, not the countless amounts of artists who have sung the song before, obviously.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow,i cant believe everyone is pretty much saying Beyonce:eek:,im a massive fan of both artists.I think if we where talking about whos the best performer out the 2 it would be Beyonce,but vocally she dosent hold a candle to Christina!And i agree with who ever said Joss Stone aswell.Shes up there on par with Christina imo

This is just a vocal masterclass:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBAY2Fx9PtU&p=BA5C6424C186217F&playnext=1&index=39

Goosebumps everytime!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beyonce=Tina Turner
    Xtina=Whitney
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow,i cant believe everyone is pretty much saying Beyonce:eek:,im a massive fan of both artists.I think if we where talking about whos the best performer out the 2 it would be Beyonce,but vocally she dosent hold a candle to Christina!And i agree with who ever said Joss Stone aswell.Shes up there on par with Christina imo

This is just a vocal masterclass:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBAY2Fx9PtU&p=BA5C6424C186217F&playnext=1&index=39

Goosebumps everytime!

This is a vocal masterclass aswell, in my opinion. :) Bey singing Listen. Get chills everytime.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4poK-jk2rE&feature=related
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    james brown sounds good being gutteral, christina sounds out of her depth. comparing the two is embarrasing.

Christina doesn't have much to be embarrased about though, does she?

She got rave reviews across the board for that performance. Some critics even took to nicknaming her the "Godmother of Soul" after the performance, in acknowledgement that she did justice to the Godfather of Soul, Mr Bown.

It was voted the 2nd greatest Grammy performance of all-time

Celine Dione started stanning hard for Christina after the performance in interviews. Celine only called her the best singer in the world after that performance, not before.

Brian Mcknight asked Christina "how does it feel to be the greatest singer in the world" after he saw her backstage after the James Brown performance.

Patti Smith (who incidentially, is widely regarded as the "Godmother Of Punk"), a music industry legend, said watching Christina riff on James Brown made her want to be a better performer and singer.

All in all, I think the general impression is that Christina compared very, very well to James Brown.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a vocal masterclass aswell, in my opinion. :) Bey singing Listen. Get chills everytime.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4poK-jk2rE&feature=related

I knew straight away that it would be the Oprah performance lol,i did get goosebumps when i first saw that,definately her best vocal performance ever pretty much
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After stumbling vocally at Clive Davis' pre-Grammy bash Saturday night, I was bracing myself from the moment I saw Christina Aguilera make her diva-like entrance to the stage during the Grammy telecast. I knew she was singing the James Brown classic "It's Man's Man's Man's World" from a Gold Derby tip-off, but was afraid it was going to be a strained mess.

Christina Aguilera took the stage, and it was over. Forget about Beyonce, Jessica Simpson, Britney Spears — this girl mopped the floor with all of their wigs, took names, and didn't stop to apologize. Not since Mary J. Blige's jaw-dropping performance of "No More Drama" back in 2002 have I been so moved by a live television performance. Everyone around me was speechless.

Entertainment Weekly raved "Everyone knows Aguilera's got pipes — but probably not even her most devoted fans could've imagined her channeling James Brown with the magnetic fervor she displayed tonight." They go on to say "Crouched on the floor, clutching the mic stand, and belting full-throttle from beginning to end, Xtina didn't so much sing 'It's a Man's Man's Man's World' as she did unleash it on her mesmerized audience. This is the 2007 Grammy performance to remember; the Godfather of Soul would be proud."

People magazine held a post-telecast poll in which people voted on the performance, and 90% of those that voted claimed there "ain't no other woman like Xtina". The official Grammy press release boasted "The mighty Aguilera delivered a memorable, perhaps legendary, performance of James Brown's 'It's A Man's World'." The Post-Gazette said "In a tribute to James Brown, Aguilera, in dazzling white suit, offered a scorching (and screaming) version of "It's a Man's Man's World."

I enjoyed most of the performances Sunday night, especially that of the laughing all the way to the Grammy press room Dixie Chicks, but the Philadelphia Inquirer was less than impressed than I — with the exception of one woman. "Unfortunately, few of the performers made the most of their time, with many of the production numbers rehashing hits of decades ago, as if the music industry's best prescription for a troubled future was to listlessly revive the past. Exceptions included a knockout performance by Christina Aguilera on James Brown's 'It's a Man's Man's Man's World'."

Read more: http://blogcritics.org/video/article/christina-aguilera-wows-at-the-grammys/#ixzz0wRikP8ep

She made history with that performance!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks for that link. When I think about it, it's probably the moment when the industry in general accepted that she was the greatest vocalist of her generation by a country mile. Those raves were no joke.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that link. When I think about it, it's probably the moment when the industry in general accepted that she was the greatest vocalist of her generation by a country mile. Those raves were no joke.

That was pure out right singing right there!The difference between her and Beyonce,is Christina doesnt need the choreography or props!Shes got soul and passion!Something most performers lack these days :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

if you're talking about christina's "man's world" video, i was not particularly impressed with that, although apparently that was when the entire world simultaneously agreed that this aguilera chick was the BEST VOCALIST EVER EVER EVER BAR NONE OMGZ XTINA IS DA QWEEN BITCH. i must have been on holiday during this period.

if grammy performances are the litmus paper of choice, here is joss stone and melissa etheridge's cover of janis joplin's cry baby. i've never even watched the grammy's but i'm (obviously) aware pf this masterpiece. it was my ringtone for a while FYI.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_j3TDhc8vY
  • MikePJBMikePJB Posts: 5,514
    Forum Member
    That was pure out right singing right there!The difference between her and Beyonce,is Christina doesnt need the choreography or props!Shes got soul and passion!Something most performers lack these days :(

You just showed a link to Bey singing 'Listen'. This shows she doesn't need props or choreography either.
  • umr3000umr3000 Posts: 1,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Beyonce is a really great singer and all round entertainer, but purely based on vocal talent and ability i'd have have to say Christina Aguilera is the better one out of the two.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im not denying Beyonces talent,i just think most of it seems a bit over rehearsed and shes doesnt have soul like Christina:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if you're talking about christina's "man's world" video, i was not particularly impressed with that, although apparently that was when the entire world simultaneously agreed that this aguilera chick was the BEST VOCALIST EVER EVER EVER BAR NONE OMGZ XTINA IS DA QWEEN BITCH. i must have been on holiday during this period.

C'mon...don't hate. Innovate;):D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C'mon...don't hate. Innovate;):D

hey, like i said i think christina's ok, nee good.

having only very recently downloaded the (critically destroyed) bionic i'm still enjoying some of the tracks on it, but this voice-of-a-generation shite is just ridiculous - give me joss or beyonce anyday.
  • BedlemBedlem Posts: 2,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

if grammy performances are the litmus paper of choice, here is joss stone and melissa etheridge's cover of janis joplin's cry baby. i've never even watched the grammy's but i'm (obviously) aware pf this masterpiece. it was my ringtone for a while FYI.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_j3TDhc8vY

Me too! I'm a huge fan of soul/funk music and I really can't see any apeal to that performance, she just butchered it hardcore in my opinion. People diss backing singers (dunno why) but give me James Brown's backing sigers over Xtina any day of the week! Look up Marva Whitney or Lyn Collins, they sh*t all over Xtreme screamulera

That "voice of a generation" shite is ascribed to a new female every other year, I just laugh when people ascribe that title to artists, it's nothing more than a soundbite blurted out to satisfy the ego's of fans. Didnt you know, Leona Lewis has taken that title from Xtina since appearing on "we've got no talent factor" ;)

Erykah Badu
    Ledisi
    Mary J Blige
    Fantasia
    Beverley Knight

And similar artists all piss on Xtina, you want proper soul music then they're your women; if you want pop-lite hollering psuedo soul tripe - but technicaly perfect, Xtina's your woman.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bedlem wrote: »
    Me too! I'm a huge fan of soul/funk music and I really can't see any apeal to that performance, she just butchered it hardcore in my opinion. People diss backing singers (dunno why) but give me James Brown's backing sigers over Xtina any day of the week! Look up Marva Whitney or Lyn Collins, they sh*t all over Xtreme screamulera

That "voice of a generation" shite is ascribed to a new female every other year, I just laugh when people ascribe that title to artists, it's nothing more than a soundbite blurted out to satisfy the ego's of fans. Didnt you know, Leona Lewis has taken that title from Xtina since appearing on "we've got no talent factor" ;)

Erykah Badu
    Ledisi
    Mary J Blige
    Fantasia
    Beverley Knight

And similar artists all piss on Xtina, you want proper soul music then they're your women; if you want pop-lite hollering psuedo soul tripe - but technicaly perfect, Xtina's your woman.

The main difference between X-Tina and all these other random chicks who might get the "best blahblah of the generation" appelation thrown their way when they are flavour of the month (Joss Stone actually fits that description perfectly) is that her peer group, pretty much by general consensus, regard her as the best. Nobody else has that sort of widespread consensus from the people that actually matter most in these judgements...their peers.

It's not a just "fan" thing. Other singers, generally rate Aguilera as the best singer today, and I think that's what really gets under some skins. She commands more respect as a vocalist from her peers, than anyone from her generation. Aguilera was the only singer under 30 to make Rolling Stone magazine's List of the 100 greatest singers of the rock age in 2008 (Aretha Franklin was #1, and Ray Charles #2 by the way....so these singers and critics know the deal). It was a list voted on by muscians and critics. The voting trended towards older artists, so the fact that Christina actually had enough peer respect to make that list is astonishing in itself. No fan-wanking there. Even Mary J. Blige barely made the cut (coming in at #100). Other singers had the chance to vote for the likes Erykah Badu, Joss Stone, Leona, Beyonce or Fantasia or any other artist from this era. Of this generation, Christina was the only one that they "deemed" worthy of inclusion with legends from decades past and old fogies. If your favorites were as respected by their peers, they'd have made the cut as well. Maybe next time.

According to a comprehensive, industry wide voted poll of music professionals by a major music bible, Christina (who landed at #55 on the list) is actually the greatest vocalist of her generation, with nobody else being particularly close.

X-Tina's music is too diverse and genre crossing to be described as "soul music". But you don't need to be bound and gagged by genre to have soul. People who actually sing for a living and work in the buisness, know that she's the real deal.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Christina.
  • stargirl1stargirl1 Posts: 5,573
    Forum Member
    Very tough, but I'll say Beyonce. I think she's more versatile.

Christina is not versatile?:confused:

She sings soul, pop, blues, jazz, up-tempos, ballads to name a few. You can argue who is the best vocalist between the two but it's a fact that Christina's back catalogue is in a different league to Beyonce's in terms of being versatile.