Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shingle my arse
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah, I did earlier, I hope that we keep it up for many more decades to come!
  • FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    That match and the Blackburn at home match were the two that meant that we gave the title to them.

Martin just needs to be put out to pasture really quickly.

I always blame the Blackburn game rather than the Everton one. Losing at home 2-3 to the team that had been bottom of the league all season up to then - New Year's eve - was, to me, worse than drawing with Everton at home.

And of course a 3-0 defeat to Newcastle followed the Blackburn game, so, dropping 6 points in 2 games was disasterous. And it's where I always say the title was lost.

Imagine getting 6 points in those games - or even 4 - and all the other games followed on as they did.
    There's no way a 14 (or a 12) point gap would have been lost with 6 games to go! It's still hard to believe an 8 points gap was, so close to the end of the season.

So it's why I always think the title was lost over Christmas. But I spose an April game when there's only 3 left after that, is easier to blame! :)
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The unveiling of Fergie stand didn't help. I'm sure everyone would have preferred that be announced at the end of the season, apart from the Glazer's who sniffed a popularity stunt.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flukie wrote: »
    I always blame the Blackburn game rather than the Everton one. Losing at home 2-3 to the team that had been bottom of the league all season up to then - New Year's eve - was, to me, worse than drawing with Everton at home.

And of course a 3-0 defeat to Newcastle followed the Blackburn game, so, dropping 6 points in 2 games was disasterous. And it's where I always say the title was lost.

Imagine getting 6 points in those games - or even 4 - and all the other games followed on as they did.
    There's no way a 14 (or a 12) point gap would have been lost with 6 games to go! It's still hard to believe an 8 points gap was, so close to the end of the season.

So it's why I always think the title was lost over Christmas. But I spose an April game when there's only 3 left after that, is easier to blame! :)

Last season, Newcastle were a good team, on a good run of form, so getting beat by them at their place, wasn't exactly unexpected, yes it was a bad defeat, (and it was indeed compunded by the Blackburn result), but it wasn't the reason we handed the league title to our rivals, (I still say they never won it, we just gave it to them), it was the two results mentioned previously, which had a far more damaging effect on the destiny of the league title.
  • skimminstonesskimminstones Posts: 8,403
    Forum Member
    have i just heard that right on sky.....Watford have 9 udinese loan players in their squad because there is a limit on home loans but not foreign?

Thats a rubbish rule, clubs should be promoting through their youth system not just taking some european clubs youth on loan
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    have i just heard that right on sky.....Watford have 9 udinese loan players in their squad because there is a limit on home loans but not foreign?

Thats a rubbish rule, clubs should be promoting through their youth system not just taking some european clubs youth on loan

Did you hear Ian Holloway's interview beofre the game? He was mightly uphappy with that rule, and for Watford for doing such a thing.

It is a shame as Watford used to have a very good academy (our own Ashely Young came from thre amonst others), and doing such a thing, is such a step back really, as if they manage to get promotion with this group of players, well, they are screwed really, as they will just have to get another bunch for the Premier League season, so there will be no consistancy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just in case anyone wants a bit of Euro nostalgia, the Bayern 99 match is on ESPN Classic at 10pm.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zaha hat trick coming up to win the game!
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,369
    Forum Member

I can see the plus side to it.

Udinese's players get English league experience, and Watford get Serie A players.
  • kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Palace have only won 2 of theirs last 10 games but could have went 2nd in the table lol Cardiff show what consistency can bring :)
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    kendoguk wrote: »
    Palace have only won 2 of theirs last 10 games but could have went 2nd in the table lol Cardiff show what consistency can bring :)

I hope they sink like a stone under that bloody idiot. The last thing we need is him back in the PL with his press conferences taking over SSN for hours at a time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The loan system is so open to abuse even the Wall Street mugs are amazed by it.
    Forum Member
    have to say i never saw anything of zaha before we signed him. Since then ive watched him in an england u21 game and a game and half in palace games and ive yet to see anything that is impressive frankly. At least he is young so can learn and maybe he is the sort of player that will look better with better players around him but at the moment the jury is firmly still out for me
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    have to say i never saw anything of zaha before we signed him. Since then ive watched him in an england u21 game and a game and half in palace games and ive yet to see anything that is impressive frankly. At least he is young so can learn and maybe he is the sort of player that will look better with better players around him but at the moment the jury is firmly still out for me

The only reason i havent said more about what i think of the signing is because it will inevitably come back to haunt me this time next season when he is the leading candidate for the Young Player of the Year Award! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't know Almunia was still playing
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dmuk wrote: »
    Didn't know Almunia was still playing

barely :)
    Forum Member
    didnt P.I.G go to watford? Is he no longer there then?

Im aware i could probably google the answer but frankly its quicker to type all this out than it is to work out how to spell his name
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And Kevin Philips and Peter Ramage, the premier league's finest now in the championship.

2-2 now, Zaha plays a small part with a nice run, but gets a bit lucky
  • JoTaylorJoTaylor Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    Just in case anyone wants a bit of Euro nostalgia, the Bayern 99 match is on ESPN Classic at 10pm.

Thank you! I've popped it on record :D
  • zielerzieler Posts: 8,038
    Forum Member
    didnt P.I.G go to watford? Is he no longer there then?

Im aware i could probably google the answer but frankly its quicker to type all this out than it is to work out how to spell his name

He's at Brighton.

More to the point, Kevin Phillips is still playing? :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tbf, Good ol' Fergie has touched on a good point here; http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21391842

Should there be Premier League games on Friday's?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    Tbf, Good ol' Fergie has touched on a good point here; http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21391842

Should there be Premier League games on Friday's?

I think the Bundesliga have games on a friday especially if they have a european match the following week.
  • kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yea there should be ive often wondered why there isn't they have them near enough every other day )
This discussion has been closed.