Options

Grimmy back for a 2nd year tomorrow

Comments

• Options
    Black CrowBlack Crow Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chris983 wrote: »
    To be honest I am sure ppl like him but radio 1 is not for me anymore so I have tuned out and not listened since moyles left

Is that becasue he plays more music than Moyles did so PPL can recover more royalties.
    Hitmusic wrote:
    People over 30 shouldn't be listening to R1.....grow up! .

Don't so silly. If you enjoy the music and the presenters it doesn't matter how old you are. It also doesn't matter if Radio 1 don't want you. If you enjoy it - listen.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I listen to 6 music now who play more music than grimshaw so nowt to do with that! Grimshaw is as funny as paint drying absolutely fits the bill for R1's new audience hence why I no longer listen.
  • Options
    p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    It doesn't really matter what we think about Grimshaw. The barometers, as far as I see it (and the BBC will - rightly - have different ones) are:

* What is the total audience - losing anything less than a million will be a success, given the eight years Moyles was on air and the way the changeover was handled, even allowing for the fact nothing can compete with Radio 1's FM signal, and the lack of obvious choices for Moyles refugees to go to (Heart? Er ... maybe not) This was no Wogan getting the audience used to his successor - this was a clear cut 'alienate anyone over 30' plan.
    * What is the demographic of the audience - if it's under 30 that's a big success for Radio 1. It's the audience it should be targeting. If it's lost a million listeners and the age range is still over 30, there's a problem.
    * Can anyone do this better? I still have big reservations about Grimshaw's show. He's a great DJ, he's done it elsewhere, but he doesn't seem to have the nous or balls to tell management to piss off when necessary. The whole #teamgrimmy thing was always bound to backfire when he first started, and he admitted he wasn't behind it when he started. The amount of times he's said he would talk to people in the studio but he 'wasn't allowed'. The 'clique' video which seems to have a full-on Radio 1 management brand behind it. Authority ain't want the under 30s are after, believe me, I'm not far off that demographic.

I want Grimmy to do well and I love the Nickstape. And I know how much of a big job this is. I just wish Nick would act like he knows it as well. This is a big deal, you can't just stumble on and go 'well I don't quite know what I'm doing and I've been told to do this' when you're taking over from something who threw his heart and soul into the job for years. It's frankly disrespectful to the audience, intended or not.

The show has improved a lot since he started, and many (including myself, possibly) need to realise that we used to give breakfast shows years to build an audience. I hope he can sort it, because otherwise Radio 1 is going to be in a barren state until the next Moyles comes along.
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hitmusic wrote: »
    People over 30 shouldn't be listening to R1.....grow up!

Do you think your taste in music will change dramatically once you hit 30 or 35??

Or are you just trolling??

Im going to a Plan B gig in Feb & Im in my 40s...

I mainly listen to Radio 1 and 1xtra. Ive always liked dance music & rap, from the 80's & 90's. To me people like Skrillex are the heirs to the legacy of the Prodigy. Why should it be a surprise if I like music thats similar to artists that Ive liked in the past?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    boddism wrote: »
    Do you think your taste in music will change dramatically once you hit 30 or 35??

Or are you just trolling??

Im going to a Plan B gig in Feb & Im in my 40s...

I mainly listen to Radio 1 and 1xtra. Ive always liked dance music & rap, from the 80's & 90's. To me people like Skrillex are the heirs to the legacy of the Prodigy. Why should it be a surprise if I like music thats similar to artists that Ive liked in the past?

Unfortunately, Hitmusic isn't trolling. The bosses at R1 want their listeneres to be under 30. They aren't interested in the over 30s.

You might go to as many Plan B gigs as you want, but Ben Cooper still doesn't want you listening to the station. Sad, but true.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    Abraca wrote: »
    Unfortunately, Hitmusic isn't trolling. The bosses at R1 want their listeneres to be under 30. They aren't interested in the over 30s.

You might go to as many Plan B gigs as you want, but Ben Cooper still doesn't want you listening to the station. Sad, but true.

Indeed, I'm well within their target audience but their policies to drive over 30s away have made me abandon the station altogether.

A shame, as I had really got into Radio 1 over the past couple of years, listening to Moyles in the morning, Mills in the evening, Judge Jules on Friday nights, and occasionally Vernon Kay on Saturdays.

I still listen to the Scott Mills daily podcast now and then to enjoy Innuendo Bingo, but I absolutely refuse to listen to Radio 1 live anymore.
  • Options
    simonk243simonk243 Posts: 3,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has nick grimshaw had time off/been on holiday yet and if so who is his cover ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    simonk243 wrote: »
    Has nick grimshaw had time off/been on holiday yet and if so who is his cover ?

He's having some time off in a couple of weeks and Scott Mills is covering it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TR22 wrote: »

Yep, that was the arrangement when Moyles left and Mills took on his new contract - he would continue to cover breakfast.

Strikes me Radio 1 should instead be trying out new talent in that slot when Grimshaw's on - the likes of Matt Edmondson should definitely be getting a tryout for breakfast. Having said that, the station's probably wanting to steady the ship a bit after undergoing the second biggest revolution in its history.
  • Options
    abertomabertom Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You generally don't have the successor as cover especially for a high profile slot - see Grimmy only covering for Scott and Greg and Phil covering weekends before getting the 10pm slot. Moyles didn't even cover for Sara.

Matt Edmondson did cover for Vernon a few times but even then Vernons slot tended to go to Dev/Sara towards the end
  • Options
    Black LabelBlack Label Posts: 4,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2nd year? But he only started in September.:confused:

Well it's the second individual calander year the show has been on air, i.e. 2112 was the first and now 2013 is the second.
  • Options
    GenesysGenesys Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    He hasn't been on air for 1 year yet?!?!?!?? It was 4 months and you start this thread for what reason?!?!??

Fool.
  • Options
    pjexpjex Posts: 9,408
    Forum Member
    Any reason why people need to come onto forums and call other posters fools, if the discussion doesn't interest them keep quiet.
  • Options
    simonk243simonk243 Posts: 3,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TR22 wrote: »

I'm surprised scott is doing it why replace moyles with grimshaw to get a younger audience then have mills as cover.
    Edmondson would probably he the obvious choice but I guess they want someone more familiar to cover but I'd if thought Greg James would be mych more appropriate than mills ?
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking forward to Scott filling in. It'll be such a change compared to Grimmy though, they'll actually be able to fill the trailer with features rather than just a parade of guests like they usually do.

Presumably they don't want Greg to fill in and do a really bad bland job, as that would rule him out being the successor in a few years.
  • Options
    smurfs5smurfs5 Posts: 580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »
    Looking forward to Scott filling in. It'll be such a change compared to Grimmy though, they'll actually be able to fill the trailer with features rather than just a parade of guests like they usually do.

Presumably they don't want Greg to fill in and do a really bad bland job, as that would rule him out being the successor in a few years.

Completely agree. I don't listen to Grimmy but I'm definitely listening to Scott. As for those bemused at Scott's continued role as breakfast cover, I'm in the younger end of R1's target audience and Scott's show is the only one I purposely tune in for and love. His podcast is brilliant whenever I can't listen live. He is still quite in touch with the audience so he is still able to connect with Grimmy's audience.

Greg is probably going to be the next Breakfast show host so as pointed out by abertom, he won't cover. Greg can be quite funny and him and Chris Smith are brilliant together but he can be a bit bland by himself and his features are pretty boring.

Whenever I hear the trailer for Grimmy's show, I never find any of it funny and it certainly doesn't encourage me to download his podcast. Can't wait for Scott and Chris on Breakfast.
  • Options
    RedunitedRedunited Posts: 1,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you don't like grimmy blame the worst BBC radio 1 controller ever ben cooper.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    abertom wrote: »
    You generally don't have the successor as cover especially for a high profile slot - see Grimmy only covering for Scott and Greg and Phil covering weekends before getting the 10pm slot. Moyles didn't even cover for Sara.

Matt Edmondson did cover for Vernon a few times but even then Vernons slot tended to go to Dev/Sara towards the end

Mark and Lard covered for Evans (yeah, I know how that went), Kevin Greening covered for Mark and Lard, Moyles did cover before (it was called the Breakfast Bit, think it may have been for Zoe Ball). It has been known.

It's possible though they don't think they've got a finished article yet and don't want to expose them to trial by breakfast.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    When someone else has covered the Breakfast Show in the past, do they usually do all the same features??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sams83 wrote: »
    When someone else has covered the Breakfast Show in the past, do they usually do all the same features??

It varies.

Scott Mills generally used his Moyles stand-ins as a promotion for his show and brought his features over, despite it being "The Chris Moyles Show with Scott Mills 'cos Chris is on holiday." (as the jingles put it)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    p_c_u_k wrote: »
    It varies.

Scott Mills generally used his Moyles stand-ins as a promotion for his show and brought his features over, despite it being "The Chris Moyles Show with Scott Mills 'cos Chris is on holiday." (as the jingles put it)

Thanks! I don't get to listen to a lot of Scott as I'm usually at work then, but I do love his Innuendo Bingo (particularly the very wet one with Chris and Grimmy the other week). I don't really know the other features he does. I'd love him to meet Showbot though, although I think Matt Fincham might be off at the same time as Nick and she's never as funny done by someone else.
  • Options
    jonjonsjonjons Posts: 4,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    p_c_u_k wrote: »
    It varies.

It depends who is absent. For example. last week Huw was in for Scott but with Scotts team so the features were kept with a couple of changes to have Huws features

Chris Moyles -If the team was there eg with Vernon/Sara the format was kept. If Scott was covering it would all change. Don't forget Chris has a very special show where it needed a lot of work and didn't rely on the music
  • Options
    the teddy bearthe teddy bear Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well it's the second individual calander year the show has been on air, i.e. 2112 was the first and now 2013 is the second.

Bloody hell, that's some time machine he must own! Do you think he knows Doctor Who? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bloody hell, that's some time machine he must own! Do you think he knows Doctor Who? :D

Funny you should say that... Pretty sure he and Matt Smith are good friends. :eek:
  • Options
    pjexpjex Posts: 9,408
    Forum Member
    Big show this morning with a huge guest, Rick Waller. Good to see Radio 1 really getting the big names onto their flagship show.

Do many of the teens they cater for even know who Rick Waller is, wasn't he on TV about 10 years ago?