Radio 2 DJ star guest on Radio 1 breakfast show next week

pjexpjex Posts: 9,352
Forum Member
At the end of Graham Norton's tv show tonight, BBC 1's continuity announcer confirmed Graham would be the guest on Radio 1's breakfast show next week.

Moyles would have had Graham as a guest but this will appeal too much to the over 30s, I'll tune in for starters.

Odd to have a Radio 2 DJ as a guest wouldn't a 1xtra DJ like Charlie Sloth be more relevant to the target audience?

Comments

• SteveBentleySteveBentley Posts: 2,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try swapping "Radio 2 DJ" for "Eurovision Song Contest Commentator and prime-time TV chat show host" and you'll see he's perfectly target.
  • dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing new of course - when Russell Brand was on Radio 2 he was a guest on Moyles show at least once. Think Jonathan Ross was a guest too.
  • pjexpjex Posts: 9,352
    Forum Member
    dpb wrote: »
    Nothing new of course - when Russell Brand was on Radio 2 he was a guest on Moyles show at least once. Think Jonathan Ross was a guest too.

But that was Moyles era Radio 1 with many older listeners.

Graham is an odd choice for the current teen focused Radio 1, Eurovision is popular with 25-45 who Radio 1 want to lose, under 25s couldn't care less and wouldn't have wasted a Saturday night on it.

Eurovision is what Saturday nights on Radio 2 is about, Radio 1 is all about R&B and rap on Saturday nights, not very Eurovision.
  • marflittsmarflitts Posts: 274
    Forum Member
    pjex wrote: »

Graham is an odd choice for the current teen focused Radio 1, Eurovision is popular with 25-45 who Radio 1 want to lose, under 25s couldn't care less and wouldn't have wasted a Saturday night on it.

Eurovision is what Saturday nights on Radio 2 is about, Radio 1 is all about R&B and rap on Saturday nights, not very Eurovision.

:confused::confused: Radio 2 is Dave Pearce Dance Years on Sat night
    Forum Member
    marflitts wrote: »
    :confused::confused: Radio 2 is Dave Pearce Dance Years on Sat night

Indeed which is a great show for 30/40 something's who went clubbing in the 80/90s and are now stuck at home with the kids on Saturday night a similar audience to those stuck at home watching Eurovision.

Graham is a great entertainer but Eurovision, his chatshow and radio show are primarily attracting over 30s so don't see his relevance to the teens Radio 1 has it's breakfast show focused on.
  • james_watersjames_waters Posts: 1,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the way people generalize the radio 1 audience is great. If you listen to radio 1 then you are a kid, with spots, you're drunk, on pills & don't understand there were years before you are born. If you listen to radio 2 then youare old with kids.

The End. Thanks DS.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Graham is an odd choice for the current teen focused Radio 1, Eurovision is popular with 25-45 who Radio 1 want to lose, under 25s couldn't care less and wouldn't have wasted a Saturday night on it.<snip>

Someone I know had a Eurovision party where she had people of various ages. The most keen for it to happen were her 17 and 21 year old nieces and their friends. I thought it was an irony thing but they were really passionate about it.

So much for "under 25s couldn't care less".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the way people generalize the radio 1 audience is great. If you listen to radio 1 then you are a kid, with spots, you're drunk, on pills & don't understand there were years before you are born. If you listen to radio 2 then youare old with kids.

The End. Thanks DS.

The OP seems to have a very worryingly complex that Radio 1 has outgrown him. Very unhealthy.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dpb wrote: »
    The OP seems to have a very worryingly complex that Radio 1 has outgrown him. Very unhealthy.

The OP seems incredibly ageist, which is hardly the right attitude for someone who constantly criticises the BBC for being ageist.
  • PassengersPassengers Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's releasing a duet with One Direction so it will be fine.
  • ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,840
    Forum Member
    John Humphrys once "DJ'd" The Wonder Years on Scott Mills show
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

When Graham hosted this year's contest, he gave several mentions throughout the evening to students who were holding Eurovision parties. Students are in Radio 1's target audience.
  • big macbig mac Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Graham hosted this year's contest, he gave several mentions throughout the evening to students who were holding Eurovision parties. Students are in Radio 1's target audience.

Do student hold Eurovision parties in a stereotypically ironic student way, or because they genuinely enjoy the competition?
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Dance anthems as well, that one has been revived after a couple of years.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    big mac wrote: »
    Do student hold Eurovision parties in a stereotypically ironic student way, or because they genuinely enjoy the competition?

They didn't say.
  • occyoccy Posts: 64,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is Graham Norton a DJ? I class him as a Tv & Radio personality. DJs line up the music, jingles etc. He only announcers the songs and talks to the guests.
  • big macbig mac Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    Is Graham Norton a DJ? I class him as a Tv & Radio personality. DJs line up the music, jingles etc. He only announcers the songs and talks to the guests.

Well, as you say he doesn't drive the desk. That seems to be used as the main criteria as to judging whether someone is a "proper DJ" or not. I thought radio was meant to be about whether a presenter is entertaining or not. If they are, that's the main thing, and if they can't do the technical stuff that's secondary if they can deliver a good programme.
  • Paul_HayesPaul_Hayes Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    big mac wrote: »

How does that Mitchell and Webb sketch go?

"Remind me, how do these ironic viewers show up in the ratings?"
    "Exactly the same."
  • BMRBMR Posts: 4,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Radio One's target audience still goes up to about 30 or so?
    Forum Member
    So listening into Grimmy's show this week I get the feeling they have now realised they need to keep many of the over 30s left listening to avoid another big audience drop this quarter.

This week all of the celebraties I've heard either in the studio or on the phone have been over 35 so will appeal to the over 30s whilst still being relevant to the younger audience, the following over 35s have all featured on the show this week; Graham Norton, Leigh Francis (aka Keith Lemon), Kate Moss, Robin Thick and Noel Gallagher.

The only under 30 year old guest was Drivetime presenter Greg James.

And best of all, in the continuing feature of having guests who are Radio DJs on stations targetting the over 30s following Graham Norton this week next week Heart's Mark Wright is a guest.

I'm predicting future guests of Grimmy will be Frank Skinner, Emma Bunton, Dermot O'Leary and Pat Sharp.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    <snip>

I'm predicting future guests of Grimmy will be Frank Skinner, Emma Bunton, Dermot O'Leary and Pat Sharp.

Dermot's already been a guest.

I doubt the others will appear.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    So listening into Grimmy's show this week I get the feeling they have now realised they need to keep many of the over 30s left listening to avoid another big audience drop this quarter.

This week all of the celebraties I've heard either in the studio or on the phone have been over 35 so will appeal to the over 30s whilst still being relevant to the younger audience, the following over 35s have all featured on the show this week; Graham Norton, Leigh Francis (aka Keith Lemon), Kate Moss, Robin Thick and Noel Gallagher.

The only under 30 year old guest was Drivetime presenter Greg James.

And best of all, in the continuing feature of having guests who are Radio DJs on stations targetting the over 30s following Graham Norton this week next week Heart's Mark Wright is a guest.

Keith Lemon is on itv2 which is targeted at 16-34 year olds. Graham Norton will have been on for his tv show that is aimed at everyone and will be popular with the target audience. Kate Moss is a friend of Grimmy's and only came up a prank call. Robin Thicke is the current number 1.

Out of that whole list only Noel Gallagher would be one more targeted at the upper end of the age range.

From what you've suggested Mark Wright was on TOWIE one of the most popular young shows in the country, Dermot O'Leary hosts another of them in the X Factor.

The only way Frank Skinner or Pat Sharp will be on will be charity related or if they end up hosting a Saturday general entertainment show (maybe "I love my country" in Skinners case) or for Emma Bunton a reality show or a spice girls reunion type thing.

It's not the age of the guests that matter, it's the audience they appeal to that does. Which is why Sir David Attenborough, despite being 87 was a good guest.
  • p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    The problem Radio 1 has is that a lot of youth culture out there is also making an attempt to appeal to the exact audience it wants to get rid of - 30-35 - which still sees itself as young, still wants to have nights out and still wants to be in with pop music, and is hugely commercially viable (these people have kids and have to spend money). Of course, that's why Radio 1 is being told to leave these people alone.

So you've got Robbie Williams - who should be past the Radio 1 demographic - teaming up with Dizzee Rascal, you've got 35-year-old Robin Thicke teaming up with 40-year-old Pharrell Williams to produce the hit of the summer, you've got The Saturdays singing (somewhat strangely) about wanting a guy from 1999.

I don't think the guests are a deliberate attempt to keep us older ones. I think they're unavoidable because, while appealing to those aged 25-35, they inconveniently also happen to be producing the big songs out there at the moment.

There is going to come a rather uncomfortable transition point very soon where Radio 2 somehow has to try and keep happy those who like songs from the shows at one end and ultra-modern dance music at the other happy, while catering for those who like Britpop-style bands. 30-35 is not target for any BBC music network radio station as the BBC likes to try and leave some audience for commercial radio, but in years to come those who are 30-35 now will expect Radio 2 to cater for them as well.

As for me, I'm still listening to Radio 1 because no other station is closer to what i like to hear, and because I suspect we're into the final year of DJs I like - Scott Mills and Sara Cox - still being on the station. After that, I suspect the game's up, as it probably should be, unfortunately. But I can't see any music station I'd immediately move over to. Commercial radio is necessarily repetitive to build an audience but I don't want that. I want to be continually challenged in all forms of music, not just the narrow 'cool' music on 6. I suspect YouTube/Spotify will then become my friend.
  • p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    BMR wrote: »
    I think Radio One's target audience still goes up to about 30 or so?

Officially, yes. But in practice I suspect the BBC are aiming at 25 and under.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    Did anyone hear Graham Norton's interview on there? It was very funny (he didn't seem to be promoting anything, he just came in for a chat) but at one point he admitted that he listened to the Radio 1 breakfast show even though he knew he shouldn't and Grimmy jokingly said "you're making Matt Fincham's life very difficult".

I feel sorry for the team, they've been given this v difficult task that's just giving people an excuse to dislike them - and I don't think they're all that keen on it either.