Options

Teeth Whitening. What actually WORKS?!

JayPee86JayPee86 Posts: 3,565
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Tried whitening toothpaste (crap)
Tried 'crest white strips' noticed a very SMALL difference.
Tried the 'rapid white' blue light thing homekit thing - utter nonsense.
Tried 'rapid white dissolve strips' a 3 week course! utter crap!

Does 'laser surgery' work? Its £200 at local cosmetic clinic - is it poppycock?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JayPee86 wrote: »
    Tried whitening toothpaste (crap)
    Tried 'crest white strips' noticed a very SMALL difference.
    Tried the 'rapid white' blue light thing homekit thing - utter nonsense.
    Tried 'rapid white dissolve strips' a 3 week course! utter crap!

Does 'laser surgery' work? Its £200 at local cosmetic clinic - is it poppycock?

For a start you can get this nonsense that whitening toothpastes or home kits work out of your head. I too had also purchased some whitening toothpastes and they have very little if in-fact no effect.

Laser surgery would be the only way as it is professional, effective and legal! No other person such as a beautician or a beauty place that offers teeth whitening is allowed to whiten teeth, it is strictly illegal for them to do this and they are not properly qualified. I got my teeth whitened in Trim, Tone, Tan for £49.99 and the results were great for a month and then after a month they returned to their natural colour.

Zoom whitening is very on demand at the moment but it is £450 on average.
  • Options
    euphieeuphie Posts: 2,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It also depends on your teeth's 'natural' colour, some teeth will never been white, regardless of what you try
  • Options
    Barbarella81Barbarella81 Posts: 580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had zoom whitening done over a year ago & it worked a miracle. I still get comments on them looking white :) I'd tried all the home whitening kits previously and they never really worked that great. I will definitely go and have Zoom done again.
  • Options
    barrowgirlbarrowgirl Posts: 1,944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can only have your teeth whitened in a dentists if you don't have any crowns .I got told this week by my dentist .Shame.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been looking into this too. As bb addict says only a dentist can do it legally but I notice loads of beauty salons offering it. I wouldn't want anybody other than a qualified dentist putting any chemicals into my mouth or using precision instruments.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Laser whitening is an utter ripoff and doesn't give better results than £20 whitestrips (although it is faster). I've used the strongest crest ones before and gotten brilliant results - you probably want to use them twice a day over about 5-7 days.

I'll top-up once a year or so, but I'm not sure I really need to... it could be easy to get "rylan" teeth if you're not careful.

The "whitening" toothpaste you find in the shops is all a con by the way.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rubbing banana peels on your teeth works a bit for me. :o
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Advice to all. Just go to the dentist and have your teeth cleaned properly. For god sake don't use any do-it-yourself chemical compounds as they will damage your teeth long-term.
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    cosmetic veneers work
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you've worn off the enamel so your teeth are starting to go yellow them all the whitening products in the world won't do jack.

Go ask your dentist what to do.
  • Options
    Ray_SmithRay_Smith Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bicarbonate of soda - taken twice a day. Will whiten your teeth - 100 percent guaranteed. Instant results but you need to use it every day. It tastes awful, though, so use a nice mouthwash or anti-bad breath product afterward.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    Advice to all. Just go to the dentist and have your teeth cleaned properly. For god sake don't use any do-it-yourself chemical compounds as they will damage your teeth long-term.

That is indeed logical advice because, for some people, there might be risks and contraindications plus a dentist should be able to provide a professional whitening service.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »

A cleaning is completely different to whitening them. The bleach permeates the teeth and whitens the inside. I would definitely go for a cleaning before whitening though to have a clean base to work from, free of any tartar.
  • Options
    goldberry1goldberry1 Posts: 2,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have done this and it worked immediately - but I stress it is just an occasional remedy.Used a lot it would probably damage your teeth.

Sometimes I like my coffee black. One day I noticed my teeth, natural colour cream, were now becoming stained. On my kitchen window sill I had one of those plastic lemons with lemon juice you get for use in cooking. I had lint in my first aid kit but I expect you could use a tissue or cotton wool. I put a small amount of juice on the lint and rubbed my teeth taking care not to get it on my gums - if your teeth are sensitive or you have cracks etc or scratches in your gums or in your mouth DO NOT USE. I then rinsed with water and I used toothpaste - and voila! visibly lighter teeth. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,445
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread is making my teeth itch. Ouch!:o:D
    I have tried the crest white strips, and they made a big difference and really worked for me.
    Nonetheless, no teeth are the same, and what works for one, may not work for another.

I would exercise caution whatever you do. There are some products that will permanently damage your teeth. Anything that wears away your enamel, I would be wary of. Bicarbonate of soda sounds like one of those although I could be wrong.
    How does it really work, and how is it used?

Ultimately I think the health of your teeth is the most important thing. What's the point of having temporarily sparkling white teeth, but long term gum and dental issues caused by whitening agents? I know which I prefer.

I think as advised, the Dentist might be the lesser evil. At least teeth are their speciality even though they are expensive.

Another thing would be to invest in a decent toothbrush. I used to have problems with my teeth, and ended up investing in an electric sonic toothbrush. It's made so much difference to my teeth. I haven't had a clean from a dentist in years. Everytime I've gone for my 6 monthly check-up, my dentist has commented on this. My teeth generally feel great despite being sensitive.
  • Options
    PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The American version of Crest Whitestrips work (unlike the British ones).

You can find them on eBay,
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dulux :D
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would you want to look like an American? They might think that the British have poor teeth, but many of their public figures (yes, you, Jim Carey) look absolutely ridiculous.
  • Options
    PandakooPandakoo Posts: 5,429
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »
    Why would you want to look like an American? They might think that the British have poor teeth, but many of their public figures (yes, you, Jim Carey) look absolutely ridiculous.

British people have horrible teeth! Everyone should take care of their teeth and imo have perfect straight white teeth... It's something i love about america.

Anyway i use Crest Whitening strips and they work amazing, i always get comments on how white my teeth are. I use the strongest ones and i leave them on for double the length they recommend. Get the american ones as they are strongest, you can get them on ebay.
  • Options
    Maria_RobinsonMaria_Robinson Posts: 3,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had my teeth whitened a few years ago at my dentists. You get a mouth guard and some bleach gel and you have to put in it every night for about a week - you get slight sensitivity but that soon passes. A lot of people comment about my white teeth although they are a nice natural white not like some of these celebrity idiots that dazzle you with their almost blue white teeth DO NOT get stuff from the internet or go to a beauty salon for this. I know someone that did this and their teeth are so sensitive now they can only drink liquids with a straw. Do not cut corners on this - save up and have it done properly or not at all - its about £300.