Options

Trivial things that annoy you intensely. (Part 3)

Comments

• Options
    Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    Here's one. I decided to stop drinking alcohol last year - I don't particularly like it, I hate being drunk, I detest being hungover and my anxiety means I really worry about stuff that intoxicate you - and pretty much every single person apart from my OH that I've mentioned it to responded with "did you have a problem?" or "yeah, I knew someone else who was an alcoholic". When I explain that I have no problem with alcohol and just don't care for it, most people really struggle to process that. It somewhat frightens me that I know so many people who can't process the idea of happily turning your back on alcohol.

My OH is a vegan and so he totally understands this, having gone through a similar thing himself and facing a similar reaction of "why would you do that if you're not allergic?" from most people. It really does baffle us (and somewhat amuse us) that so many people struggle with these concepts. Sigh.
  • Options
    treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fact that women can never seem to walk in one direction when out in public. I always get them nearly walking into me after they have gone from walking in a straight line to veering off at a 45 degree angle.

No spacial awareness at all...

I thought it was just me that noticed this. I notice it more now than ever. I don't know if I'm walking through town centres more.
    That is something that really annoys me too and I think I've ranted about on here before! But it's definitely not just women.

See also: dawdlers and people who just stop dead, especially in shop doorways >:(

This happened to me the other day made worse by the fact that the fire alarm was ringing and we were being evacuated from Wilko - but a couple of old biddies still took the opportunity of stopping in the doorway for a natter.
  • Options
    wampa1wampa1 Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dr. Linus wrote: »
    Here's one. I decided to stop drinking alcohol last year - I don't particularly like it, I hate being drunk, I detest being hungover and my anxiety means I really worry about stuff that intoxicate you
    This is all very familiar to my own circumstance, especially the last part. Alcohol literally messing your brain is actually quite scary to me and being around drunk people puts me on edge.

I also lived with a vegan (and I'm vegetarian myself). The number of people who will bend over backwards to try to dig up some shred of hypocrisy on your part is mind bending (whilst those same people will say they could never hurt an animal, whilst tucking into a burger.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    wampa1 wrote: »
    This is all very familiar to my own circumstance, especially the last part. Alcohol literally messing your brain is actually quite scary to me and being around drunk people puts me on edge.

Yeah, I really hate the whole culture of drinking and I have a much better time if I'm sober. Some of the reactions I get to that are borderline offensive and imply that I'm boring. If you need other people to swallow a drug throughout the night for you to consider them interesting then it's probably you has issues, mate!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I really hate the whole culture of drinking and I have a much better time if I'm sober. Some of the reactions I get to that are borderline offensive and imply that I'm boring. If you need other people to swallow a drug throughout the night for you to consider them interesting then it's probably you has issues, mate!
    I just use 'I'm driving' (which I usually am) to avoid any probing. I'm bored of having to explain myself.
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

There was a thread on here about that very thing, not long ago. I couldn't agree with you more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I just use 'I'm driving' (which I usually am) to avoid any probing. I'm bored of having to explain myself.

My OH is the driver so he's got that one covered. It was actually that which led me to make the decision - he can't often drink due to driving, so I decided to not drink when he wasn't drinking so that he wouldn't feel isolated. I found it incredibly freeing and relaxing and I haven't touched a drop since, and OH has now done the same.

Veganism is harder to deal with. Some people have a nasty attitude about it that you're being childish or naive by doing it and as you say, will try and call you out by using nonsensical logic like "that plant was alive once too, where do you draw the line?". The only way to deal with that is to not rise to it. I'm not a vegan but I'm considering it.
  • Options
    Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 26,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pugamo wrote: »
    When you're on annual leave and turn into a lazy git, unwilling to get out of bed in the morning let alone leave the house and actually do stuff.

Or maybe that's just me.

Nope. A week and a half left and then it's our two week shutdown and I plan to hibernate on planet playstation for pretty much all of it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not a vegan but I'm considering it.
    Me too. I think I could easily cut out actual eggs and milk but where I would fall over are the things that have dairy in them as an ingredient.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Me too. I think I could easily cut out actual eggs and milk but where I would fall over are the things that have dairy in them as an ingredient.

For me it's weird, I don't eat dairy stuff at all (and I hate eggs) but I do eat a lot of meat, so making the jump from meat-eater to vegetarian is what scares me. If I could do that I might as well just be a vegan as I'd have no problem with that further step. I'm weird!
  • Options
    ParashootistParashootist Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    When you have been wronged, those 'tail between the leg' moments from the wrong-doers when they realize the error of their ways.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When you have been wronged, those 'tail between the leg' moments from the wrong-doers when they realize the error of their ways.
    Personally I'd be filing that one under things that please me intensely.
  • Options
    bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    Restless legs - urgh they stop me from sleeping at night
  • Options
    silversoxsilversox Posts: 5,204
    Forum Member
    Here's one. I decided to stop drinking alcohol last year - I don't particularly like it, I hate being drunk, I detest being hungover and my anxiety means I really worry about stuff that intoxicate you - and pretty much every single person apart from my OH that I've mentioned it to responded with "did you have a problem?" or "yeah, I knew someone else who was an alcoholic". When I explain that I have no problem with alcohol and just don't care for it, most people really struggle to process that. It somewhat frightens me that I know so many people who can't process the idea of happily turning your back on alcohol.

My OH is a vegan and so he totally understands this, having gone through a similar thing himself and facing a similar reaction of "why would you do that if you're not allergic?" from most people. It really does baffle us (and somewhat amuse us) that so many people struggle with these concepts. Sigh.

I was quite shocked to find that two of my female friends with whom I have a drink with socially would find it impossible to go without alcohol for a week. One of them, suffering from a very bad cough for quite a while wouldn't visit her doctor because he might put her on anti-biotics which would mean she wouldn't be able to have a drink. I'm so glad I don't depend on it and could quite easily go without if I had to.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Things not starting on time.

Look, it said Obese, Autistic Latvians on Benefits would start on Channel 5 at 20.00hrs and here we are at 20.03 and no sign of it yet.
  • Options
    5hane5hane Posts: 2,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fully grown adults that count the number of sleeps remaining before an event.
  • Options
    big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    Really very trivial, but people who sign off emails like this -

Thanks
    Jane

really grind my gears for some reason.:blush: Whenever a female signs off like this I irrationally always envisage them as some embittered, middle-aged GP receptionist stereotype. :blush:

planets wrote: »
    i'm with you on this Granny!
    I too am under 5 foot and tall men especially seem to usurp my personal space....for example on a crowded tube they will lean over the top of me as if I am not standing there so i am now in some horrendous smelly sweat cave, a well of flesh, in danger of passing out as they have taken all the air in my vicinity. Together with using my arse as some kind of plug in charger point for their samsonite briefcase it makes it very unpleasant.

I sympathise. I'm a young, slim, not particularly small but not particularly tall guy, and whenever I stand on a train I always seem to attract some massive bloke who thinks it's perfectly acceptable to get in my grill and steal my personal space. Do they think that people smaller than them are less deserving of the air or something??:confused:
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    People who say "clean down" something like "clean down this table", surely its "clean up" or "wipe down" :confused:
  • Options
    ValentineValentine Posts: 3,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heard someone on the radio yesterday say 'normalcy' - what?!! You mean 'normality'?!! Take your head out of America's @rse!

And on that subject, people who say 'whatever normal is' and 'there's no such thing as normal' - yes, there is! We all know what the norm is, don't try and pretend, to be all pc, that we don't and it doesn't exist!

Also, people who add 'much' to the end of a verbal or written sentence e.g 'bitter, much'. Stop it, stop it now, you sound like a 13 year old girl!
  • Options
    ValentineValentine Posts: 3,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul_DNAP wrote: »
    There is a massive regional variation on how a small bread roll is referred to.

Being on the Lancashire/Yorkshire border I always though of them as "baps or tea cake", the term "Muffin" seems to be more into Lancashire.

This is interesting...
    http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/food/516026/British-regional-names-for-rolls
    .. their map puts Muffin into N.I. and not England.

And I think cupcake as being the iced small buns or fairy cakes, the muffin is never iced.

You might be right about the Lancashire thing - I was brought up in north Manchester and always called 'baps', or whatever people call them, muffins. Oven bottom muffins are things you can still buy and that name's on the packet.
  • Options
    silversoxsilversox Posts: 5,204
    Forum Member
    People who make a strong statement and end it with "period". I know it's yet another Americanism for "full stop" but to me it translates as "so shut up".
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    silversox wrote: »
    People who make a strong statement and end it with "period". I know it's yet another Americanism for "full stop" but to me it translates as "so shut up".

:D It does, which is why I like it. Sometimes people really do need to be told to STFU.
  • Options
    cas1977cas1977 Posts: 6,399
    Forum Member
    JulesF wrote: »
    :D It does, which is why I like it. Sometimes people really do need to be told to STFU.
    I knew someone who used to end their sentences with the word "end"......

They said it for emphasis on whatever they were saying, though it sounded quite good.
  • Options
    cas1977cas1977 Posts: 6,399
    Forum Member
    big dan wrote: »
    Really very trivial, but people who sign off emails like this -

Thanks
    Jane

really grind my gears for some reason.:blush: Whenever a female signs off like this I irrationally always envisage them as some embittered, middle-aged GP receptionist stereotype. :blush:

I sympathise. I'm a young, slim, not particularly small but not particularly tall guy, and whenever I stand on a train I always seem to attract some massive bloke who thinks it's perfectly acceptable to get in my grill and steal my personal space. Do they think that people smaller than them are less deserving of the air or something??:confused:
    I have to ask you......what is wrong with signing off by saying "thanks"?? :confused:

I was trying to find a clue in what you were saying, but so far nothing has come to light.....:confused:
  • Options
    cinnamon girlcinnamon girl Posts: 814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My mind goes blank. I stand there saying "um, er..." with no idea where the place is I'm being asked directions to, then someone buts in, and gives clear directions, and it turns out that I've walked past the place in question every day for 40 years, and never noticed it was there.

Same here! I also sometimes mix up left and right, which is even worse. Funny thing is, I can get myself around unfamiliar places pretty well. I don' t understand!
    Paul_DNAP wrote: »
    Just put on a fake Cornish accent and say "OI'm sorry my luvver, I'm not from round 'ere" and then walk away.

PS - does not work in Cornwall.

Not sure if I can pull off a Cornish accent, but a 'not from round here' could help! :)
This discussion has been closed.