Favourite Bad Girls characters?

Comments

• wallo mr slugwallo mr slug Posts: 9,734
    Forum Member
    I love bad Girls. I'm currently watching my boxsets through yet again. Just reached Series 6 and have relived the agony of Yvonne's death (everytime you watch it, you have a tiny sliver of hope she'll get out this time)
    Series 6 was weak but I adored Frances Myers. Could have done with her having a longer stint as Wing Guv!

Anyway...favourite characters must be Yvonne, Shell, Helen, Sylvia, Karen and I really found Neil Grayling and his facial expressions quite hilarious!
  • Mel1314Mel1314 Posts: 2,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lauren__ wrote: »
    One time that sticks in my head is the time after she drew a moustache on herself then when barbara got the blame "yeah she did this to me n'all" :D:D

I love that scene :D Always makes me laugh. And then when she's taken down the block for it, she's shouting, 'why would I do this to myself?' Lol. I agree about her comic timing, just the smallest little comments Shell makes are so funny.

I didn't really like Kris Yates much, I think they wanted her and Selena to be a bit like the new Helen and Nikki, but I wasn't really that interested in their storyline. Hated Neil Grayling when he first arrived, though he's more likeable in series 7. But when he first arrived, he's horrible!
  • lmcd08lmcd08 Posts: 1,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    favourite character ever has to be denny but i did also really like the characters shaz, yvonne, shell, nikki, zandra, kris yates, pat and al.

I also loved bad girls for its funny one liners which i really miss seeing such as:

Sylvia Hollamby: Zandra Plackett's got more junk in her than Steptoe's back yard

Sylvia Hollamby: All right, lets have you.
    Nikki Wade: In your dreams, love.

Darlene Cake: You scared I'm going to carve somebody wit dem Jammie Dodger

This thread has tempted me to go through my boxsets and what every series again :D
  • RadicalNatureRadicalNature Posts: 5,104
    Forum Member
    Zandra by far. Funny, tragic, (brilliant actress) sweet, bitchy.... wow her story was amazing and so raw and realistic. She depicted a heavy drug user to perfection - and she was so skinny! I cried my eyes out when she died and I feel terrible when I watch re-runs knowing what's coming. So sad when she got Robby taken off her.

Also to a lesser extent Buki, her story was similarly tragic - her being pimped and her love for children (Lennox & Baxter) but she got a happy ending - probably the best ending out of all of them.. which she deserved in the end.

Loved Crystal and the way Di tried to split her and Josh up.

Shell & Denny - Denny's story was almost as tragic as Zandra and would have been worse if she'd died but at least she got away.

Niki... Niki & Helen doesn't even need explaining, quality stuff. Wow.. the ep where Niki escaped and Shell stabbed Jim - one of the best television creations & Bad Girls at it's peak. So so good.

Body Bag, Fenner, Karen, Di and Helen were the best screws.
  • BakervichBakervich Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY - A bad girls discussion! I have been searching, searching, searching for other people to chat to about it!!!! ;):o:rolleyes:

Bad Girls the best show ever, until they killed off Yvonne in the worst way possible. It was never the same after that and the new characters they brought in after were no where near as exciting, watchable, funny or engaging as the earlier ones.

Yvonne Atkins is the best bad girls character ever. Brilliantly played by Dame Linda Henry. Years on it still annoys me what happened to her, so much in fact that I believe that she did escape and is living in Walford calling herself Shirley!

Zandra Plackett was another who I loved, again played by the amazing Lara Cazalet. Such a tragic story but she was also very funny. I loved it when she called the window in the 4 bed dorm a spastic because she could not open it!

Other prisoners I liked Crystal, Buki, Barbara, Nikki, The Julies,Denny, Shell, Maxi. Mainly the lot of them from the begining.

The P.O's I liked where Karen (Love Claire King), Helen, Di, Gina, Sylvia, Dom. I liked Fenner at first but after all his horrible deeds I ended up hating him!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bakervich wrote: »
    YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY - A bad girls discussion! I have been searching, searching, searching for other people to chat to about it!!!! ;):o:rolleyes:

Bad Girls the best show ever, until they killed off Yvonne in the worst way possible. It was never the same after that and the new characters they brought in after were no where near as exciting, watchable, funny or engaging as the earlier ones.

Yvonne Atkins is the best bad girls character ever. Brilliantly played by Dame Linda Henry. Years on it still annoys me what happened to her, so much in fact that I believe that she did escape and is living in Walford calling herself Shirley!

Zandra Plackett was another who I loved, again played by the amazing Lara Cazalet. Such a tragic story but she was also very funny. I loved it when she called the window in the 4 bed dorm a spastic because she could not open it!

Other prisoners I liked Crystal, Buki, Barbara, Nikki, The Julies,Denny, Shell, Maxi. Mainly the lot of them from the begining.

The P.O's I liked where Karen (Love Claire King), Helen, Di, Gina, Sylvia, Dom. I liked Fenner at first but after all his horrible deeds I ended up hating him!

I honestly believe Yvonnes death is one of the most memorable deaths from a tv show/soap/drama ever. It was haunting first time round, her screaming help me and shouting for fenner :eek: I think what made it so terrible is that they did it to such a loved character, yes it would have stilll been hard to watch had it been a less popular character but it's the fact it was the last of the huge characters.

For me the show lost a little something after Helen and Nikki's final appearance, then there was Shell's awful end with her being carted off to a mental institute which also really upset me then then Yvonne was the final straw for me I think :(

The earlier series's produced THE best characters, the only character produced in the later series' even in the same league as them was Darlene I think and Bev and Phyl I've seen people mention Natalie Buxton but to me she wasn't a great character at all, she was like Shell mark two but with none of the depth, she never had a back story or any redeeming qualities, I mean shell was a total psychotic bitch and yet at the same time when you heard about her past or fenner beat her you could still feel for the character and want her to be okay. Buxton just left me cold and left me wanting to slap her she was so whinny and annoying and never had a backstory or any depth.

For me I think bad girls WAS those earlier series' Nikki, Shell, Yvonne, Fenner, Bodybag, Helen, Julies, Zandra, Crystal, Denny, Shaz, Dominic, I didn't even mind Kris Yates and I liked the costa cons.

Worst ever character? For me Snowball bloody merryman, she signaled a huge downward spiral for the show with me when she was so panto and the show focused on her attempt to blow up the prison then shoot yvonne's son
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I honestly believe Yvonnes death is one of the most memorable deaths from a tv show/soap/drama ever. It was haunting first time round, her screaming help me and shouting for fenner :eek: I think what made it so terrible is that they did it to such a loved character, yes it would have stilll been hard to watch had it been a less popular character but it's the fact it was the last of the huge characters.

For me the show lost a little something after Helen and Nikki's final appearance, then there was Shell's awful end with her being carted off to a mental institute which also really upset me then then Yvonne was the final straw for me I think :(

The earlier series's produced THE best characters, the only character produced in the later series' even in the same league as them was Darlene I think and Bev and Phyl I've seen people mention Natalie Buxton but to me she wasn't a great character at all, she was like Shell mark two but with none of the depth, she never had a back story or any redeeming qualities, I mean shell was a total psychotic bitch and yet at the same time when you heard about her past or fenner beat her you could still feel for the character and want her to be okay. Buxton just left me cold and left me wanting to slap her she was so whinny and annoying and never had a backstory or any depth.

For me I think bad girls WAS those earlier series' Nikki, Shell, Yvonne, Fenner, Bodybag, Helen, Julies, Zandra, Crystal, Denny, Shaz, Dominic, I didn't even mind Kris Yates and I liked the costa cons.

Worst ever character? For me Snowball bloody merryman, she signaled a huge downward spiral for the show with me when she was so panto and the show focused on her attempt to blow up the prison then shoot yvonne's son

I agree Yvonnes death is one of the memorable in TV land, years later I still have strong feelings about it. Since Yvonne was in the show you saw her fight against Fenner and for him to finally finish her off, in the worst way possible, was awful! In Yvonnes words - you bastard Fenner!

I also think the producers set themselfs up for a failure doing it, series 5 was pretty much all Yvonne, (except for Shell and Karen's sad exits - again Fenner :mad::mad:) and there where no other strong enough characters for the show to continue on the same standard, So many characters left at the end of series 5, Barbara, Buki, Denny as well as Yvonne, Shell and Karen. At least Babs, Buki and Den all had a happy ending....:D

Agree with you also about Natalie,Hated her.
  • dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There were so many that i loved, I think the Nikki and Helen love story is still one of the best well written realtionships between women that i have ever seen on TV, lesbians dont usually work in dramas or soaps but Nikki and Helen was fantastic. Michelle Dockley had so much depth to her character, yes she was a bitch but during her time we got to see why the way she was and i think the first episode of Series 3 after she had held Fenner hostage after stabbing him and Nikki's escape is the best Bad Girls episode of all time. I did of course love Yvonne and her exit was one of the most powerful things i have seen, the Julies, Denny and Zandra were also all great.
    For me the show started to slowly lose its way in Series 4, Nikki and Helen had left,Neil Grailing was introduced and tried to sleep with Fenner and we had the awful Snowball Merriman character. Series 5 was probably where they should of ended it after Dockley's awful exit (we hadnt invested and watched Dockley's character for 5 series only for her to be put in a mental hospital at the end) Karen's exit and Yvonne's death were also final nails in the coffin. Once Series 6 started i see that as a different era of Bad Girls and to not take alot of it to seriously, I loved Frances but she was only in one series, and the only real memorable new characters were Darlene ''what do you think i'm gonna do, cut them wiv the jammy dodger'' and the costa cons, they carried the show through the show's final few series. The real problem with Series 6-onwards was the emphasis on the screws, yes we loved Sylvia but plots about the death of husband Bobby and a doctor trying to get hold of her money didnt sit right with Bad Girls. It all became very soap like and it lost its grittyness and realism. Natalie Buxton was a poor Dockley, the awful Kris Yates and Selina were a bad copy of Nikki and Helen and Janine was a bad Denny Blood. It's an awful shame ITV axed it as I heard that the producers were going to bring it back to its roots if they had another series but it wasnt to be. It will remain one of the best TV Dramas of all time, full of some brilliant characters and scenes/stories you will never forget.
  • Dan SDan S Posts: 1,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inmates:
    Shell
    Yvonne
    Costa Cons
    Crystal
    Maxi

Officers:
    Sylvia (hilarious!!!)
    Karen
    Frances
  • ForerroRocherForerroRocher Posts: 10,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Prisoner: Shell. Yvonne could easily give her a run for her money, but Shell clinched it purely because she was there at the start and throughout the best few series. Yvonne was a fantastic character though, and I would have *loved* to see her in the first few series, which were far grittier and dramatic than the later series, IMO.

Special Mentions: Yvonne (as above), Crystal, Denny, Zandra, the 2 Julies, Nikki, Barbara and Pat (Again, I'd have love to see her in the earlier series. For some reason, I always imagined she's have had a nice rapport with Barbara.)

Screw: I actually liked most of the screws... LOL. Jim (I know he was horrible and messed up, but he was such a twisted character, you couldn't help but pay attention), Karen, (I really adored her. I liked Lou, Joy and Frances as wing Governers, but I'd have preferred to see Karen fill in those roles, even if just for the nostalgia that the later wing Govs lacked.) Helen (though not with Nikki). Dominic and Josh were excellent as the "nice guy" screws. I'm still miffed at the crappy exit Dominic got. :rolleyes:

I agree with Lauren.... the earlier series was Bad Girls. From series 6, there was very little sparkle, since the majority of the characters that made the show had left. (I didn't realise just how different the show felt from series 6 onwards until I rewatched all the DVD's at once a few weeks ago) With the exceptions of Bodybag, Pat and the Julies, the last few series could easily have been a different show. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dazza89 wrote: »
    Michelle Dockley had so much depth to her character, yes she was a bitch but during her time we got to see why the way she was and i think the first episode of Series 3 after she had held Fenner hostage after stabbing him and Nikki's escape is the best Bad Girls episode of all time.
    Couldn't agree more. I think Shell was one of the best explored characters ever on bad girls, the first chunk of series two seemed to be largely devoted to her past, her confiding in Karen, her confronting her mum, her falling for Jim etc.

I also agree that episode is possibly my favourite bad girls episode of all time. Such amazing contrast with the hell breaking out in the prison compared to Nikki and Helen calmly laying in bed together then Helen trying to sneak Nikki back into the prison. Meanwhile Debra played an absolute blinder in that episode, she was hilarious throughout and yet at the same time she always had this way of putting a real evil psychotic glint in shell's eyes that was just brilliant to watch! The line that always stands out for me in that ep is Yvonne hearing the screaming, grinning and "she's got him". Just brilliant, edge of the seat gritty drama.
    Series 5 was probably where they should of ended it after Dockley's awful exit (we hadnt invested and watched Dockley's character for 5 series only for her to be put in a mental hospital at the end) Karen's exit and Yvonne's death were also final nails in the coffin.
    Again agree, for me there was a string of characters leaving which just began to signal the end of bad girls for me. Yes Denny, Nikki and Helen got happy endings but Karen, Shell and Yvonne, three HUGE characters got absolutely heartbreaking exits. I'm glad Karen came back a few series later to clear up her fate though. It's a small consolation though to watch Shell and Yvonne's fate.
    Once Series 6 started i see that as a different era of Bad Girls and to not take alot of it to seriously, I loved Frances but she was only in one series, and the only real memorable new characters were Darlene ''what do you think i'm gonna do, cut them wiv the jammy dodger'' and the costa cons, they carried the show through the show's final few series.
    Me too! When I think of bad girls I automatically think of the earlier series. I also find if I rewatch my boxset unfortunately I ten to stop around series 5/6 as although the later series' were "okay" I can't seem to class them as the same show.
    Natalie Buxton was a poor Dockley, the awful Kris Yates and Selina were a bad copy of Nikki and Helen and Janine was a bad Denny Blood.
    Natalie was a poor mans Shell as I said in my post above. I also think they tried to recreate nikki and helen in Kris and Selina. I actually quite liked Kris but I think the show was loosing it's sparkle around that time really, along with Snowball merryman, Yvonne's son and Rosin & Cassie it was quite bleak so maybe I just liked the Kris storyline because it was the best of a not so amazing bunch.
    It will remain one of the best TV Dramas of all time, full of some brilliant characters and scenes/stories you will never forget.

Agreed! Still my favourite TV show to date. Legendary!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Prisoner: Shell. Yvonne could easily give her a run for her money, but Shell clinched it purely because she was there at the start and throughout the best few series. Yvonne was a fantastic character though, and I would have *loved* to see her in the first few series, which were far grittier and dramatic than the later series, IMO. (

Just to point out that Yvonne did appear in series 1! Her first episode was episode 9 but that was towards the end of the episode if I remember correctly, so she was there at the beginning.... Kind of! Ahh! Classic Yvonne moment where she sets up the Larkhall choir, complete with guitars, just to annoy Bodybag!
  • edduk1981edduk1981 Posts: 2,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh so close for me to call its between Yvonne and Nikki

I would say Yvonne by 1% lol

Loved Bad Girls
  • Mel1314Mel1314 Posts: 2,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I think of bad girls I automatically think of the earlier series. I also find if I rewatch my boxset unfortunately I ten to stop around series 5/6 as although the later series' were "okay" I can't seem to class them as the same show.

Me too. I like Series 7, but in a different way. Sort of like, how you said, as if it's a different programme. Series 1 and 2 are my favourites. Series 5 has a lot of my favourite characters still, but as previously mentioned, it went downhill because of the bigger characters leaving. Hated Yvonne's exit. They should have had her escape :mad: And Shell's was awful too. I liked Karen as well, didn't want her to go although I'm glad she appeared again briefly to clear her name.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved some of the Costa Cons one liners, one that i remember is when Pat arrives and holds that nun at knifepoint and then Neil Grayling arrives and Phyl says to Bev ''If thats all the help then the poor dear's had it'' and when they escaped and were onn Sylvia's honeymoon.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bakervich wrote: »
    Just to point out that Yvonne did appear in series 1! Her first episode was episode 9 but that was towards the end of the episode if I remember correctly, so she was there at the beginning.... Kind of! Ahh! Classic Yvonne moment where she sets up the Larkhall choir, complete with guitars, just to annoy Bodybag!

Ha I also loved her setting up the sex line, Brilliant stuff.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree with what people have said about series 3, episode 1 being the best! I'm currently re-watching the series and I'm half way through series 2 - already looking forward to that episode!

It's good to see people still love Bad Girls :)
  • celebmaniacelebmania Posts: 537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have been rewatching the whole boxset of Bad Girls really.............still as good today as it was ten years ago.

But what really annoys me is that lack of continuation between series, like for example we never find out what happened with Kris and Selina after they were on the monument protesting at the end of series 6, and Kevin Spiers, Arun and Di are not even mentioned in Series 8............

Series 8 was also really random, and the whole Lou Stoke/Rowan Dunlop storyline seemed rushed and wrapped up too prematurely.
  • Gene HackmanGene Hackman Posts: 174
    Forum Member
    Jim Fenner- Best baddie invented on tv at the time and lasted an amazing 10 years.

Slyvia 'BodyBag' Hollumby- The more I rewatch the show the more I appriciate what a great asset she was to the show and lasted 10 years.

Di Barker- I loved how she literally moved on from a break up to a new man by the next episode.. just as twisted a sFenner and lasted an amazing 8 years!

The TWO Julies (Julie J and Julie S)- Giving these 2 a mention because they were orginal characters that gave a great impression of normality.

I find it ironic that The TWO Julies appeared on screen the first episode and Fenner was teh FIRST one to talk... then it ends with Slyvia and The TWO Julies...

Jim Fenner laughing into the camera as a ghost is my final episode... I refuse to watch the last series!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they wanted to carry Bad Girls on once Fenner left then they had to make Series 8 like Series 1-gritty, shocking and realism and do away with some of the over top stories. I always thought it would be good if Yvonne's daughter ended up in prison then Yvonne's memory would of carried on through her daughter.
  • Kyle123Kyle123 Posts: 25,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went through a massive Bad Girls reunion spell a few months ago. :p I would have to vote for Shell. She stole every scene she was in.

I also had a real soft spot for Zandra. Knowing her death episode was getting ever closer was such a draining experience. :(

If I had to pick a worst (and not including the completely forgettable characters from the last series) then I'd have to say the Peckham Boot Gang.

I loved the idea of them going in and raising hell, and their appearances in Series 3 were promising, but after that, their stories just really started to make no sense.

I think the whole Maxi/Fenner storyline sort of spiraled out of control, to the point where I just had no idea what was going on at all, and then bang, Maxi's dead, and the other two linger around with little purpose for a few years. (Maxi's death was great though)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kyle123 wrote: »
    I went through a massive Bad Girls reunion spell a few months ago. :p I would have to vote for Shell. She stole every scene she was in.

I also had a real soft spot for Zandra. Knowing her death episode was getting ever closer was such a draining experience. :(

I agree, the whole build up of watching her health get worse and worse was heartbreaking. Even though it was inevitable that she was going to die you were still hoping for some kind of miracle. It was so upsetting seeing such a great character suffer, poor Zandra :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I couldnt stand Al, awful character. I cheered when she died.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was it Al who Yvonne kicked the shit out of in a cell?
    She thought Tina she'd been bullying her was going to be in there, I believe, but Yvonne was waiting for her:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kerry1681 wrote: »
    Was it Al who Yvonne kicked the shit out of in a cell?
    She thought Tina she'd been bullying her was going to be in there, I believe, but Yvonne was waiting for her:D

Al & Maxi had been bullying Shaz and they got Buki to tell Shaz there was a party in the laundry room. Yvonne overheard and knew they were all setting Shaz up so she got in there first and kicked the crap out of Al when she arrived :D