Options

Britain First on facebook, vile ratbags

BinCatBinCat Posts: 2,125
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I keep getting shares and similar for this awful site on fb. had a look and it's basically just a hub of hate filled BNP style racist morons.

The disturbing thing is it seems to be people who I used to think of as quite normal, rational human beings sharing these posts around. It's quite depressing:(

Comments

• Options
    SHAFTSHAFT Posts: 4,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my FB friends shared one of their disgusting posts over the weekend and I immediaitely unfriended her. It was pretty shocking and very out of character for her. I understand they are fielding candidates in the upcoming elections. Total scumbags.
  • Options
    venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't go on Facebook any more, one of many reasons being because of people sharing vile, right wing, racist claptrap like I presume this is.

One person kept sharing things from 'the daily patriot' which might as well have been called 'the daily racist'. I despise this sort of thing and Facebook gives people a platform to share it.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't go on Facebook any more, one of many reasons being because of people sharing vile, right wing, racist claptrap like I presume this is.

No offence meant at all, but if this is true of your Facebook experiece, it says more about the people you're friends with than it does about Facebook itself.
  • Options
    BinCatBinCat Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SHAFT wrote: »
    One of my FB friends shared one of their disgusting posts over the weekend and I immediaitely unfriended her. It was pretty shocking and very out of character for her. I understand they are fielding candidates in the upcoming elections. Total scumbags.

That's what I mean, it seems to be perfectly normal people sharing these posts. I've unfriended a few people over the last week, and clicked on the don't send posts from Britain First thing, but still got another this morning>:(
  • Options
    venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No offence meant at all, but if this is true of your Facebook experiece, it says more about the people you're friends with than it does about Facebook itself.

There were two of them sharing things like that and one of them was more a case of 'keeping your enemies close'. We are not friends, used to be years ago but not now.

The other was just a bit of an idiot to be honest, and the sister of a friend so not my friend as such.

There are lots of reasons why I don't use Facebook any more, this is just one of them.
  • Options
    TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only post from that group that I've seen was one condemning dog fighting, with a picture of a badly-bitten dog. A case of the post going viral with people not checking its origins, I suspect.
  • Options
    3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's the issue with Facebook though isn't it, a lot people are 'friends' with people they barely even know.

I'm not on it (never have been) but this desire to have as many contacts on there as possible means something like this is bound to happen.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's the issue with Facebook though isn't it, a lot people are 'friends' with people they barely even know.

Well that's their own fault then. You aren't forced to accept anyone as a friend and the "unfriend" button is freely and easily accessible if you regret "friending" someone in the first place. The person you unfriend isn't even sent a notification that you've done it.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm not on it (never have been) but this desire to have as many contacts on there as possible means something like this is bound to happen.

No, that's the issue with some Facebook users. Nobody is required to add strangers to their friends list.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well that's their own fault then. You aren't forced to accept anyone as a friend and the "unfriend" button is freely and easily accessible if you regret "friending" someone in the first place. The person you unfriend isn't even sent a notification that you've done it.

Don't shoot the messenger :)

I agree with you, but this seems to happen a lot judging by posts I see on here.

If I was on Facebook and this happened to me, I think I would quietly delete that person and leave it at that.

I wouldn't post on here about it and draw attention to the fact.
    epicurian wrote: »
    No, that's the issue with some Facebook users. Nobody is required to add strangers to their friends list.

I agree with you as well.
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    SHAFT wrote: »

4 candidates in Wales, none of whom actually live in Wales.

http://www.europarl.org.uk/resource/static/files/european_elections/wales.pdf
  • Options
    FooxFoox Posts: 1,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the more they post and are posted about the more you see their real beliefs which is a good thing, i would want to know if one of my friends was a rampant racist.
  • Options
    The FinisherThe Finisher Posts: 10,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If someone isn't fussed about who their 'friends' are, are they going to be that fussed about what these so called friends then go on to share?

I presume this unknown friend adding stuff is about measuring self worth and virtual fame. Perhaps with this mindset they think that unfriending someone that has shared something offensive detracts something from themselves rather than from the offensive 'friend'.

I would imagine many play on this mindset in order to spread this rubbish.
  • Options
    FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I had two friends share posts over the weekend, one from this Britain First thing and one shared something from another site which appears to be similar, a patriot type site.

Incidentally I had two friends share and post stuff that was the opposite, one sharing an anti-UKIP campaign and another a general anti-racism one.

It's easy to say that it says a lot about the people you are friends with, but I had no idea that either of the two women who shared the patriot stuff had those feelings and am dissapointed to learn that they do.

I don't know whether I will defriend them over it, I will one as I don't know her well, the other is an old friend and I'm actually really dissapointed, I thought more of her... but it has certainly changed my opinion of them a lot.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've seen and hate this page! Like you I keep un friending people that constantly share this crap!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to them, it's do-gooders like me that are ruining this country.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lexii-Mae wrote: »
    According to them, it's do-gooders like me that are ruining this country.

In all seriousness, it is a bit of both.

The 'do-gooders' are in some cases just as bad and just as intolerant as the knuckle-draggers.
  • Options
    Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BinCat wrote: »
    I keep getting shares and similar for this awful site on fb. had a look and it's basically just a hub of hate filled BNP style racist morons.

The disturbing thing is it seems to be people who I used to think of as quite normal, rational human beings sharing these posts around. It's quite depressing:(
    I got the winston Churchill Islam one on mine >:(:(
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    I got the winston Churchill Islam one on mine >:(:(

I did too. I just hid the site on my feed.
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just looked at their page and one of my friends "likes" them and to be honest she fits the stereotype. Thick as pig shit, underclass with bad tattoos. I wouldn't worry about them too much, clearly an amateur party run by idiots.
  • Options
    Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just looked at their page and one of my friends "likes" them and to be honest she fits the stereotype. Thick as pig shit, underclass with bad tattoos. I wouldn't worry about them too much, clearly an amateur party run by idiots.
    And how they exploited the Lee Rigby murder on their election forms was disgusting
  • Options
    bookaddictbookaddict Posts: 2,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree. I've not seen any of my friends sharing/posting this kind of claptrap. I can't imagine I'd be friends with them in the first place to be honest.
  • Options
    DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought the video were they went and protested outside anjhem choudrays house was pretty funny.
  • Options
    WellHiddenMarkWellHiddenMark Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the video were they went and protested outside anjhem choudrays house was pretty funny.

These little groups are as bad and as sad as each other. Tragic misfits that nobody could give a toss about. I watched the BBC Three documentary by Richard Dart's step-brother last night. Fascinating and revealing.
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On my old facebook account (it's a long story), I had an old school friend who I'd always thought of as alright, but then she started sharing posts from the BNP. I didn't unfriend her as I don't really go in for hand-wringing hysterics, but it certainly lowered my opinion to think she was, so to speak, "one of them".