The First Doctor

daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,397
Forum Member
✭✭
After writing about the Fifth Doctor, and putting a new spin on the 'what do you think of this Doctor and name his good and bad points.', I'm gonna try a thread on each Doctor and take it from a slightly different angle.....which will probably go back to those points anyway!

For the First Doctor, my topic is very similar as to before.

That is here we have another Doctor who seems to be as far as I can tell, not as popular as other Doctors but had some of the highest ratings of Classic Who, certainly higher than some of New Who as well but.......just never seems to get any appreciation or recognition, who seems unpopular because he was apparently old and grumpy and the complete opposite of David Tennant.

Whenever Hartnell is mentioned on this forum, it's like that scene from Shooting Stars where Vic Reeves tells a crap gag and silence really does fall and the old bale of straw sweeps across the floor.

No thread on him gets rarely past the first page(Really hoping this does!)

So what's the problem then with this Doctor on here? Too old? Not watched him? Too grumpy for you or is Black and White just not colourful enough for you?!!!!!:D

Does Hartnell not deserve more credit for the character he created that gave us the show we have today?

I like to be fair and say that watching the First Doctor for the well, first time is hard work. It took even me a while to get used to him and if you watch his stories in chronological order, you may think he was a bad-ass Doctor. But it only takes watching The Romans or The Time Meddler to see his more comedic side. It wasn't all grumpiness and sternly mannerisms.

Like I said on the Fifth Doctor thread, he's not for everyone. However, it's just getting to the bottom of why on this forum talking about him(I use the word talking in it's loosest possible sense here) is so.....non talkative.

Even if you haven't watched him, I'd like people to discuss what their views of him are, what their impressions are, however vague. Good or bad.

:)

Comments

• Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love the Hartell Doctor/era.

I grew up with Who as a kid in the Seventies, but I became a fan with a capital F in 1982. I had already seen and been fascinated by the shows past thanks to the 'Five Faces of Doctor Who' repeat series prior to Season 19, and then started buying Doctor Who Monthly from Issue 67 (the one with the first 3 Doctors on the cover.)

Met fellow fans in the Mid Eighties and started to slowly get to see more episodes, usually of very dubious quality, if you get my drift! And I didn't really bother much with Hartnell. Focused more on seeing as much of Tom as possible, I recall. There were delightful bootleg surprises like The Ark and The Gunfighters (the latter often dismissed by 'fandom' at the time as something of a nadir) that I thoroughly enjoyed. I liked this Doctor!

It's only really in the last decade that I began to appreciate Hartnell more and more, with The Beginings/Lost in Time boxsets. Yes, he could be a grumpy beggar, but so could a lot of the Doctors. He was also caring, mischevious, sly, funny, child-like and as old as the Universe. I've definitely spotted Peter C doing the Hartnell 'eye dart' a few times already, and I remember grinning like mad when he did the 'lapel clutch' when he was announced as the new Doctor.

Often hear people opine that with the Second Doctor we got the real 'template' for C21 Doctors. However great Patrick was (and my giddy Aunt he was) THE DOCTOR was created the moment William Hartnell appeared on screen. And *that* is why we're still discussing the programme 51 years later.

There have been so many great speeches over the years, and Matt in particular had some crackers recently, but that "Go forward in all your beliefs...." speech, and indeed the whole conclusion to 'The Dalek Invasion of Earth', slays me as much as anything that has come since.

So yeah, I love the Hartnell/Doctor era! :D
  • bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There would not be doctor who today without William hartnell. A real trooper. It was a constant treadmill in those days, about a 2 month break between series so they were filming nearly all year round. Shame much of his third year has been wiped but there is plenty from his first two years left to enjoy.
  • Ian K McIan K Mc Posts: 326
    Forum Member
    He was the first Doctor I saw as I have watched the series since the first episode. And while I do like the other Doctors he will always be for me THE Doctor. There is just so many sides to him - something Ian mentions in Edge of Destruction. You can really believe that the first Doctor is an alien. Unlike some of the other Doctors Bill Hartnell played a character...even the voice he used was not quite his usual one. While Patrick was good I am not sure if Who would have been the success it was if he had been the first one. After all I knew Patrick from his many other roles when he became the Doctor...I had liked him as Paul of Tarsus and Quilp and the Headmaster in Dr. Finlay...whereas when Bill Hartnell appeared to begin with I thought that he was the same actor who had played the Grandfather in The Old Curiosity Shop...of course he wasn't.
  • JethrykJethryk Posts: 1,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hartnell is under appreciated but that's not his fault that's just a sign of the times.

Doctor Who was very different in those days and I can quite understand why the twenty-somethings who watch the show now have trouble watching it.

It's very serial based, one episode a week with each story running into the following one which didn't happen even in the Troughton years much after his first season.

It's slow and was shot 'as live' so you have to make allowances for the him and the programme. It annoys me when people go on about all his slip ups as a lot of that was not his fault but due to his workload and the production team being unable to offer him a second take. Just look what happens today when they film a single 'live' episode of a popular programme.

Hartnell was the first and played the character as he was originally designed, some of his stories remain amongst my all time favourites. Dalek Invasion of Earth, Time Meddler and War Machines in particular.

I think, like Troughton, his popularity is affected by missing episodes. It would be interesting to see how Hartnell was perceived if Marco Polo, Daleks Master Plan, The Massacre and The Smugglers etc suddenly turn up.

Hartnell's my 4th favourite Doctor for what it's worth.
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jethryk wrote: »
    Hartnell is under appreciated but that's not his fault that's just a sign of the times.

Doctor Who was very different in those days and I can quite understand why the twenty-somethings who watch the show now have trouble watching it.

It's very serial based, one episode a week with each story running into the following one which didn't happen even in the Troughton years much after his first season.

It's slow and was shot 'as live' so you have to make allowances for the him and the programme. It annoys me when people go on about all his slip ups as a lot of that was not his fault but due to his workload and the production team being unable to offer him a second take. Just look what happens today when they film a single 'live' episode of a popular programme.

Hartnell was the first and played the character as he was originally designed, some of his stories remain amongst my all time favourites. Dalek Invasion of Earth, Time Meddler and War Machines in particular.

I think, like Troughton, his popularity is affected by missing episodes. It would be interesting to see how Hartnell was perceived if Marco Polo, Daleks Master Plan, The Massacre and The Smugglers etc suddenly turn up.

Hartnell's my 4th favourite Doctor for what it's worth.

I understand that completely, but not all fans are surely that age.

I think it's weird that after the 50th Anniversary, which through the TV Docudrama, would have raised awareness of his Doctor more, even more so given the exposure his Doctor had on the Ultimate Doctor Who show around that time as well.

Agree about the slip ups as well. I actually think they add to his performances rather than detract from it. It's just one of those happy coincidences that since the First Doctor was quite eccentric and absent minded, the slip-ups naturally seem part of it and if you didn't know they were fluffs you would probably think it part of his character.

• doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,313
    Forum Member
    Speaking as one of the twenty-somethings, I can only say, for me, I respect that he was the first actor and on screen, was the first version of the character and was instrumental in making the show successful, but at the same time, it's like when you see a statue or picture of someone famous from history. You say 'look, there was a great man' and you respect them for all they achieved, but it dosen't make you exactly feel like they'd be your kind of person or someone you like to spend time with if you could.

As someone who started the show with new who, when I have delved into classic who, I never really tend to go further back than tom baker. As I tried to explain with my anecdote above, I respect the doctors that came before him, and all they brought to it's continued success, but at the same time, I get the impression that stories before his time tended be more dry in nature and slow going in storytelling. I go from the 4th onwards because they represent a time where, thanks to the input of the first three, the show had evolved to a point where it's more like the show I enjoy today with new who. For example I understand that during hartnell at least the word gallifrey was never uttered and that the master never even existed until the 3rd doctors time. I also get the impression that the early doctors were more about being respectable than eccentric. yet going from the 4th onwards you have fun eccentric doctors with the backstory in place, the stories paced closer to that which you would see today, and all the lore like gallifrey, the master etc already in place, so it just seems more accessible from that point on.

My views maybe be seen as completely wrong, and I'm sure there are some twenty-somethings out there who love the first doctor, but the thread asked for opinions from those who hadn't really watched the first doctor and these are mine.

P.s. You'll notice I haven't mentioned the lack of colour as a negative. I notice often that there seems to be a myth among older people that younger people won't watch the older stuff because of the lack of colour, but it really dosen't factor for me. a good episode is a good episode colour or no colour. It's more just the points i've raised above.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All very fair points, doctor blue box. As I said in my post, it took years of fandom before I properly delved into Sixties Who. Up to you, but you could dip in when/if you want to anytime. Ahhh, the youngsters can buy or otherwise see a story so easily these days. Eeeh by by gum, it were all fuzzy bootlegs and very rare repeats back in my day. ;-)

Think Jon Pertwee fits the 'respectable' tag to a degree. Hartnell much less so, by his second season the rather stern patriarchal figure had all but gone and Troughton I'd say not at all. Quite an anarchic chap, the Second Doctor.
  • JethrykJethryk Posts: 1,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Speaking as one of the twenty-somethings, I can only say, for me, I respect that he was the first actor and on screen, was the first version of the character and was instrumental in making the show successful, but at the same time, it's like when you see a statue or picture of someone famous from history. You say 'look, there was a great man' and you respect them for all they achieved, but it dosen't make you exactly feel like they'd be your kind of person or someone you like to spend time with if you could.

As someone who started the show with new who, when I have delved into classic who, I never really tend to go further back than tom baker. As I tried to explain with my anecdote above, I respect the doctors that came before him, and all they brought to it's continued success, but at the same time, I get the impression that stories before his time tended be more dry in nature and slow going in storytelling. I go from the 4th onwards because they represent a time where, thanks to the input of the first three, the show had evolved to a point where it's more like the show I enjoy today with new who. For example I understand that during hartnell at least the word gallifrey was never uttered and that the master never even existed until the 3rd doctors time. I also get the impression that the early doctors were more about being respectable than eccentric. yet going from the 4th onwards you have fun eccentric doctors with the backstory in place, the stories paced closer to that which you would see today, and all the lore like gallifrey, the master etc already in place, so it just seems more accessible from that point on.

My views maybe be seen as completely wrong, and I'm sure there are some twenty-somethings out there who love the first doctor, but the thread asked for opinions from those who hadn't really watched the first doctor and these are mine.

BIB - Actually totally disagree with this point. Have you seen what they wear? :)

You really should give the earlier Doctor's a go. If you do find them hard going fair enough but at least they will be your own opinions and not just impressions you are getting, which in my view are wrong.. You are robbing your self of some of the best stories in the programmes history.

If I could recommend The Dalek Invasion of Earth or The Time Meddler for Hartnell, Tomb of the Cybermen or The Web of Fear for Troughton and Spearhead from Space and The Daemons for Pertwee. They're not necessarily the best but would give you a good feel for the earlier Doctors.
    Forum Member
    All very fair points, doctor blue box. As I said in my post, it took years of fandom before I properly delved into Sixties Who. Up to you, but you could dip in when/if you want to anytime. Ahhh, the youngsters can buy or otherwise see a story so easily these days. Eeeh by by gum, it were all fuzzy bootlegs and very rare repeats back in my day. ;-)

Think Jon Pertwee fits the 'respectable' tag to a degree. Hartnell much less so, by his second season the rather stern patriarchal figure had all but gone and Troughton I'd say not at all. Quite an anarchic chap, the Second Doctor.
    Thanks for the feedback. The thread asked for opinions and impressions even from those who hadn't watched, and I whilst I was a bit worried that I might get torn apart by some older fans and called ignorant for not watching those era's, I felt I would give my thoughts. Glad you took my post fairly as that was the nature in which I wrote it.

I have seen the first three in the 5 doctors (even though, yes I know, it wasn't actually Hartnell, but still the first doctor) and I've also seen troughton in the two doctors, so I've at least had a glimpse of those doctors.
    Forum Member
    BIB - Actually totally disagree with this point. Have you seen what they wear? :)

I was more thinking their attitude/demanour from clips and the odd parts here and there I have seen. I fully admitted it was more an impression than an actual fully fledged, researched opinion.

You really should give the earlier Doctor's a go. If you do find them hard going fair enough but at least they will be your own opinions and not just impressions you are getting, which in my view are wrong.. You are robbing your self of some of the best stories in the programmes history.

If I could recommend The Dalek Invasion of Earth or The Time Meddler for Hartnell, Tomb of the Cybermen or The Web of Fear for Troughton and Spearhead from Space and The Daemons for Pertwee. They're not necessarily the best but would give you a good feel for the earlier Doctors.

The Op did actually suggest that those who hadn't watched give their impressions presumably as to give insight into why, which is why I did, and I feel I did so in a fair manor, without disrespecting those era's in any way.

I don't feel anyone should pressure someone else to watch a particular era. I may give those early stories ago some time, I may not, but the point of my post was just to give that point of view angle of someone who hadn't yet ventured into early doctor territory and my reasons why.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

P.s. You'll notice I haven't mentioned the lack of colour as a negative. I notice often that there seems to be a myth among older people that younger people won't watch the older stuff because of the lack of colour, but it really dosen't factor for me. a good episode is a good episode colour or no colour. It's more just the points i've raised above.
    I was more thinking their attitude/demanour from clips and the odd parts here and there I have seen. I fully admitted it was more an impression than an actual fully fledged, researched opinion.

The Op did actually suggest that those who hadn't watched give their impressions presumably as to give insight into why, which is why I did, and I feel I did so in a fair manor, without disrespecting those era's in any way.

I don't feel anyone should pressure someone else to watch a particular era. I may give those early stories ago some time, I may not, but the point of my post was just to give that point of view angle of someone who hadn't yet ventured into early doctor territory and my reasons why.

Hi DBB, thank you for your post, that was indeed exactly what I asked for and I hope it will encourage others to post. The point of this thread is to get to the bottom of why exactly the First Doctor just seems so under-discussed and on the face of it unpopular on this forum and your post has given me some insight into that.

Just a few points to comment on. Firstly, I have never suggested every 20 something avoids classic who because of the effects. However, there have been some posters over the last five years I've been on here that have explicitly stated that is the case but I know there are some people in that age group and even younger who have sought to watch this particular Doctor. Not everyone is the same.

Following on from that, it was never my suggestion that anyone should feel pressured to watch the First Doctor because of this thread and from my point of view, I would rather people feel free to discuss this topic without feeling they were being bullied into watching him. As I said, that wasn't the point of the thread and if I'd asked people to state their good and bad points only, this thread would die very quickly. That's why I wanted people who haven't watched him to comment.

Now the other point of the thread was to maybe challenge any misconceptions people had of Hartnell's Doctor who hadn't seen him without making people feel like they were being criticised. I think like anything else, you can misjudge something you haven't seen, but that's again that's not a criticism, that's life.

Your point about the First Doctor not being eccentric is one such misconception. I know where Jethryk was going with his post and to a degree he is right The First Doctor was eccentric in a lot of episodes, I could name a few but that's not my point either. The point is that you have rather neatly told us that's what your impression is, it explains a lot to me what I have thought all along, that people see him as a grumpy old git whereas I can tell you it isn't 100% true.

Whether you choose to follow up that info and watch him is your choice. All I want to do is to raise awareness and address any misconceptions where they arise. I hope it will encourage others to post.

Forum Member
    Hi DBB, thank you for your post, that was indeed exactly what I asked for and I hope it will encourage others to post. The point of this thread is to get to the bottom of why exactly the First Doctor just seems so under-discussed and on the face of it unpopular on this forum and your post has given me some insight into that.

Just a few points to comment on. Firstly, I have never suggested every 20 something avoids classic who because of the effects. However, there have been some posters over the last five years I've been on here that have explicitly stated that is the case but I know there are some people in that age group and even younger who have sought to watch this particular Doctor. Not everyone is the same.

Following on from that, it was never my suggestion that anyone should feel pressured to watch the First Doctor because of this thread and from my point of view, I would rather people feel free to discuss this topic without feeling they were being bullied into watching him. As I said, that wasn't the point of the thread and if I'd asked people to state their good and bad points only, this thread would die very quickly. That's why I wanted people who haven't watched him to comment.

Now the other point of the thread was to maybe challenge any misconceptions people had of Hartnell's Doctor who hadn't seen him without making people feel like they were being criticised. I think like anything else, you can misjudge something you haven't seen, but that's again that's not a criticism, that's life.

Your point about the First Doctor not being eccentric is one such misconception. I know where Jethryk was going with his post and to a degree he is right The First Doctor was eccentric in a lot of episodes, I could name a few but that's not my point either. The point is that you have rather neatly told us that's what your impression is, it explains a lot to me what I have thought all along, that people see him as a grumpy old git whereas I can tell you it isn't 100% true.

Whether you choose to follow up that info and watch him is your choice. All I want to do is to raise awareness and address any misconceptions where they arise. I hope it will encourage others to post.

I appreciate the understanding of my point of view,. As I say I was a bit worried about possible backlash, but as the replies to my feedback to your original query have been as pleasant and fair as I hoped my post was, I actually feel I'm more likely now to give one of those stories a go, so I can come back at some point and answer those of you who respected my opinion when I have the beginnings of an actual researched opinion. :)

P.s page is looking pretty full, I think you may make your second page after all :)
  • ocoxocox Posts: 2,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I grew up with Tom Baker as my "Doctor" but also having watched some JP.

With the arrival of DVD and the release of WH stories, I started to buy and watch his stories and boy was I surprised, as to how much I really liked the First Doctor ( I mourn the missing episodes).

As for the lack of colour, it has no effect on my enjoyment. I have many films/tv series in black and white (to many to mention) in my BR/DVD collection.
  • nattoyakinattoyaki Posts: 7,080
    Forum Member
    I grew up with Tom and Peter (who wasn't often a 'fun' doctor for me) and I haven't seen much of 1-3 (2 especially) but I adore William's Doctor.
  • HestiaHestia Posts: 380
    Forum Member
    Mr Hestia had "Terror of the Autons" on whilst doing the ironing yesterday (I keep him well trained) and having nothing better to do than file my nails, sat and watched a couple of episodes. It was a bit of a coincidence seeing this thread because I was commenting to him that I felt that Pertwee's Doctor was consistently more rude, unappealing, by turns insulting and patronising than Hartnell's - and said so, much to his annoyance as Pertwee is his favourite. Just shows.

Personally I'd favour a Hartnell episode almost any time over a Pertwee, Davison, McCoy and (puts on tin hat) Smith. Dodo aside (although she had by far the most interesting exit of all companions ;-)), the companions are more rounded and appear to be there for the stories rather than demographics or eye candy (and by demographics I mean the need to tick a 'yoof' box, like Ace, or any other social grouping). In the early Sixties, any elderly man would have been born/formed during the Victorian and Edwardian ages and the stern, remote persona would not have been so unrecognisable to children. What was important, as Hartnell used to say himself, was not the authority of the character but the twinkle behind the eyes that was there to those who knew him.

I think that Hartnell's multi-layered approach to the character outshines many of his successors who have tried to imitate this without the luxury of a story in which to develop it, the stories increasingly being focused on the action and threat-resolution. I believe Capaldi is bringing some of that back, to the confusion of many viewers, but to the delight of others who are being drawn in to discover how he will react to a new situation. There is comfort in knowing how Tennant's Doctor will respond (much less appreciation of his unpredictability in the 'Specials'), which I say without criticism as Tennant features way, way 'up there' in my favourites.

Final point: someone above mentioned it was less interesting an era because there was no Gallifrey lore, etc. For me, that means that the focus is on the story and the characters. Hartnell was interesting for that reason. RTD (my opinion, granted) did a favour to the return of Doctor Who by removing the baggage of the Time Lord society to focus back on the character and the 'something in the past' (exactly as Hartnell). The 50th stuffed that completely in all ways.

Final, final point (!), where would I introduce someone to Hartnell? Apart from the first episode, maybe "The Aztecs". Still early days but here you see a whole range of the Doctor's personality as well as him setting out the nature of time travel.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I appreciate the understanding of my point of view,. As I say I was a bit worried about possible backlash, but as the replies to my feedback to your original query have been as pleasant and fair as I hoped my post was, I actually feel I'm more likely now to give one of those stories a go, so I can come back at some point and answer those of you who respected my opinion when I have the beginnings of an actual researched opinion. :)

P.s page is looking pretty full, I think you may make your second page after all :)
    Hestia wrote: »
    Mr Hestia had "Terror of the Autons" on whilst doing the ironing yesterday (I keep him well trained) and having nothing better to do than file my nails, sat and watched a couple of episodes. It was a bit of a coincidence seeing this thread because I was commenting to him that I felt that Pertwee's Doctor was consistently more rude, unappealing, by turns insulting and patronising than Hartnell's - and said so, much to his annoyance as Pertwee is his favourite. Just shows.

Personally I'd favour a Hartnell episode almost any time over a Pertwee, Davison, McCoy and (puts on tin hat) Smith. Dodo aside (although she had by far the most interesting exit of all companions ;-)), the companions are more rounded and appear to be there for the stories rather than demographics or eye candy (and by demographics I mean the need to tick a 'yoof' box, like Ace, or any other social grouping). In the early Sixties, any elderly man would have been born/formed during the Victorian and Edwardian ages and the stern, remote persona would not have been so unrecognisable to children. What was important, as Hartnell used to say himself, was not the authority of the character but the twinkle behind the eyes that was there to those who knew him.

I think that Hartnell's multi-layered approach to the character outshines many of his successors who have tried to imitate this without the luxury of a story in which to develop it, the stories increasingly being focused on the action and threat-resolution. I believe Capaldi is bringing some of that back, to the confusion of many viewers, but to the delight of others who are being drawn in to discover how he will react to a new situation. There is comfort in knowing how Tennant's Doctor will respond (much less appreciation of his unpredictability in the 'Specials'), which I say without criticism as Tennant features way, way 'up there' in my favourites.

Final point: someone above mentioned it was less interesting an era because there was no Gallifrey lore, etc. For me, that means that the focus is on the story and the characters. Hartnell was interesting for that reason. RTD (my opinion, granted) did a favour to the return of Doctor Who by removing the baggage of the Time Lord society to focus back on the character and the 'something in the past' (exactly as Hartnell). The 50th stuffed that completely in all ways.

Final, final point (!), where would I introduce someone to Hartnell? Apart from the first episode, maybe "The Aztecs". Still early days but here you see a whole range of the Doctor's personality as well as him setting out the nature of time travel.

I sort of agree and disagree about The Hartnell Companions. They were less eye candy for certain(Aside Sara Kingdom if you choose to classify her as a companion). I find some of them, particularly Vicki, very childish and annoying and goes back to what I said in the other thread about Hartnell's Humour being a bit old-fashioned and that comes across in his companions as well. However, as I also said, the Hartnell Era does cater more for the kids rather than the adults which Hartnell himself thought the show should be more for.

To answer your other question, and this for DBB as well, if you were going to start watching Hartnell, or introduce someone to him who's more used to the New series or later Classic Doctors, then starting right from the beginning maybe not so wise. In these initial three stories he was a bit more fierce and aggressive and not really the typical Hartnell Interpretation of the First Doctor.

I would recommend perhaps The Rescue, as a short two parter in case you don't want to sit through four episodes. In this he is at his eccentric best and it's also the first story he confronts a villain solo. If you like that, then try the following story The Romans where he was at his comedic best. I think these two stories show all side of Hartnell's Doctor but certainly The Aztecs and the Time Meddler does this as well.

Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I sort of agree and disagree about The Hartnell Companions. They were less eye candy for certain(Aside Sara Kingdom if you choose to classify her as a companion). I find some of them, particularly Vicki, very childish and annoying and goes back to what I said in the other thread about Hartnell's Humour being a bit old-fashioned and that comes across in his companions as well. However, as I also said, the Hartnell Era does cater more for the kids rather than the adults which Hartnell himself thought the show should be more for.

To answer your other question, and this for DBB as well, if you were going to start watching Hartnell, or introduce someone to him who's more used to the New series or later Classic Doctors, then starting right from the beginning maybe not so wise. In these initial three stories he was a bit more fierce and aggressive and not really the typical Hartnell Interpretation of the First Doctor.

I would recommend perhaps The Rescue, as a short two parter in case you don't want to sit through four episodes. In this he is at his eccentric best and it's also the first story he confronts a villain solo. If you like that, then try the following story The Romans where he was at his comedic best. I think these two stories show all side of Hartnell's Doctor but certainly The Aztecs and the Time Meddler does this as well.

Great choices. Said before on DS, Hartnell's performance in The Rescue is my favourite of the lot. He does endearingly befuddled, sad, funny, inquisitive, kindly,gentle, shrewd and heroic in those two episodes. Quintessential Doctor. I think The Gunfighters is another story where he's at his funniest, and from the later stories, he's in great form in the proto-UNIT 'The War Machine'.

We've had plenty of 'hero shots' of the Doctor over the decades, but that cliffhanger zoom-in to the First Doctor in his cape, standing between the enemy and the humans with that look of utter defiance and conviction in the latter story gives me goosebumps every time.

Right. Definitely hitting a Hartnell DVD today!
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    I grew up watching most of Hartnell's stories in the sixties - I was hooked from the first time I saw that magic police box and those daleks.
    He was such a clever grandad figure to me.
    Now, 50+ years later - I still love to travel back via DVD and re-live those days again. Not so exciting,,,,,but uncannily still very intriguing! I can spot the gaffs now (which never happened when I was a kid!?), and that swirly beginning and music still gives me goosebumps.
    My best mate (in his 30's) cannot see beyond Tennant! And he wont tolerate anything in black and white - which infuriates me!
  • HestiaHestia Posts: 380
    Forum Member
    My best mate (in his 30's) cannot see beyond Tennant! And he wont tolerate anything in black and white - which infuriates me!

Reminds me: not so long ago all old films used to be played at a faster speed so that WWI looked like a Charlie Chaplin film. I remember my sister once asking my nan "in the olden days, did everyone walk like that?" Sister Hestia also thought the world itself was in black and white in those same olden days...

Back on topic: I wonder how they would look colourised and would it be heresy to do so? Would it make the stories more accessible? The colour stills from Aztecs, for example, look amazing. Is the current expectation of realistic effects as standard insurmountable when the inevitable time comes that "The Web Planet" is the only one that you have yet to watch?

Daveyboy: I'd deleted Vicki, but she does remind me of the typically over-worked character for children's television that we still see. Right from her first appearance: you evil witch, you killed my pet and only friend! Oh, alright then, never mind... (paraphrased, of course).
    Forum Member
    Hestia - NOO I wouldn't want them colourised at all! That would be Blasphemy!
    B&W deserves to remain as it is/was/whatever!
    I remember getting a DVD set of Laurel & Hardy, with the option of watching it in colour. I chose B&W without a second thought!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With you, Face of Jack. Silly pet hate of mine, maybe but anything that's been shot and lit for B & W being tampered with....No. No.... No. No. No. No....No.

It's quite interesting to see some clips on youtube where it's been done with Sixties Who out of curiosity, but yeah, heresy, blasphemy, messing around with the original makers intentions and artistic choices....Um, No.

Bit pretentious there, but you might've guessed it's a negative from me too. ;-)
    Forum Member
    With you, Face of Jack. Silly pet hate of mine, maybe but anything that's been shot and lit for B & W being tampered with....No. No.... No. No. No. No....No.

It's quite interesting to see some clips on youtube where it's been done with Sixties Who out of curiosity, but yeah, heresy, blasphemy, messing around with the original makers intentions and artistic choices....Um, No.

Bit pretentious there, but you might've guessed it's a negative from me too. ;-)

Pretentious, MOI ? I agree all the way Michael-Eve old boy!! Got it in one!
  • Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,935
    Forum Member
    Colourisation would make no difference at all to the way that the first and second Doctor's stories were perceived, except on a very superficial level.
    Colourising classic movies that were made in black and white is bad enough, and they were at least made with cinematic production values.
    You could colourise them and remix the sound to 5.1 surround, but those early Doctor Who episodes will still be of their era, 1960s studio-bound television.
    They are still classics of television as it was then, and should remain so.
  • FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
    Forum Member
    I love the Hartnell era, mainly because it was so bad that it's good. For some reason, despite the Daleks looking like toys and having 0 fear factor, I was always gripped and entertained! An episode like "The Edge of Destruction" or "Planet of Giants" would get absolutely slated nowadays, but it's awfulness is somewhat intriguing to me and I carry on watching.

Hartnell is a fabulous man, and he was clearly devoted to the show. If only he could see the legacy he has helped to create!
  • Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,935
    Forum Member
    Younger viewers do sometimes have the "it's so bad it's good" attitude to early Doctor Who, and indeed other things from that era, but remember that when they were new they were considered to be innovative and ground-breaking television, and that's what counts IMO.
    Hey daveyboy, we made it to a second page!
    :D