Shows where a secondary character has become more popular than the Star???

Comments

• Pistol WhipPistol Whip Posts: 9,677
    Forum Member
    the most obvious that springs to mind for me is Dawsons Creek, I think it was once said it should have been rechristened Paceys Creek.

Pacey was supposed to be the best friend to the protagonist who was a bit of a joker, insted just about everyone (including Dawnsons love interest lol) fell in love with him and could care less about Dawson :D

Pacey Whitter = legend
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUCzWrvlxcg

That's very true. He was meant to be Dawson's "sidekick", the devil on his shoulder and a reminder of what such a nice guy Dawson is because Pacey would make all the wrong decisions and do the wrong thing, but Pacey turned out to be more liked than the title character!
  • StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with a couple of the comments above.

In The Big Bang Theory, Sheldon is definitely becoming the star of the show.

HIMYM Barney especially, but all the other characters have more dimensions than drippy dull Ted.
  • Loop o' SoupLoop o' Soup Posts: 417
    Forum Member
    qwerty282 wrote: »
    The Big Bang Theory- i always thought Leonard was supposed to be the main character but Season 3 was very Sheldon centric.

Gossip Girl- Serena was supposed to be the main character but now it is Blair (and Chuck).

HIMYM Barney seems much more popular than Ted.

Sheldon gets on my wick BUT i love his interaction with Penny, so i'd agree he is far more popular than Leonard and i'm pleased because we get to see more of his Sheldonisms. :D

Can i add Ted from HIMYM really bores me. :)
  • Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dynasty - I think Blake Carrington was supposed to be the central character but Alexis (Joan Collins) stole every scene she was in. Even though she was never in every episode I found myself looking forward to her appearances.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Buffy - Angel, the original male lead, was so upstaged by Spike!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Patsy in Absolutely Fabulous stole the show.
  • dudiusdudius Posts: 469
    Forum Member
    marvola45 wrote: »
    Buffy - Angel, the original male lead, was so upstaged by Spike!

And then in Angel, he was upstaged again ... By Spike!! :cool:
  • Pistol WhipPistol Whip Posts: 9,677
    Forum Member
    I suppose in some ways the new Doctor Who in 2005. Rose become extremely popular, more so than Eccleston (as much as he was loved).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Avengers. It was designed as a vehicle for Ian Hendry and Patrick Macnee's John Steed was very much a secondary character. But Steed was a hit and when Ian Hendry left after one series, the show was built round Steed and his succession of female accomplices.

In the movies, a famous example is The Pink Panther, of course, as the original movie starred David Niven with Peter Sellers' Inspector Clouseau very much a supporting player. But it was Clouseau who got the series...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    dudius wrote: »
    And then in Angel, he was upstaged again ... By Spike!! :cool:

Wasn't it one of the problems towards the end of the show that Spike was even more popular than Miss Gellar herself? :)
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In Seinfield, I seem to feel Kramer was usually more fondly remembered than Jerry, I could be wrong there though?

Yes, but I think that was the idea from the start. The supporting members always had the best lines, most laughs. Actually Jerry was quite dull, almost playing the straight man ?
  • nate1970nate1970 Posts: 1,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wish i could read your post but theres a great big advert covering your post

This used to happen for me on my home PC. I complained to DS about this for literally YEARS (I sent them screenshots from various browsers), but in the end I had to install ad-blocking software!
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with everyone else about HIMYM.

I find Lily, Marshall, Robyn and Barney far more interesting than lame and stupid Ted (to quote Ms Spears).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,428
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now this might sound stupid and may well be , but Friends

It seemed to change every series, I think it started to promote Monica, but ended up for Rachel, but all along my favourite was Joey.

Contentious I know, would be nice to hear other views :)
  • IC89IC89 Posts: 1,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    West Wing A show originally written around Sam Seaborn (Rob Lowe) but after the pilot and resulting focus group it became clear it was better to have President Bartlet as the main character.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tony Hancock became convinced that Sid James - who was basically his feed - was more popular than he was and eventually had James ousted from his show.Hancock's career went downhill subsequently (he also fell out with his writers) and ended up in Australia where he died.
  • systemcvsystemcv Posts: 260
    Forum Member
    Family Ties: created as a starring show for Meredith Baxter, but soon became centered around the hitherto little known Michael J Fox
  • Sara WebbSara Webb Posts: 7,885
    Forum Member
    b1zzer wrote: »
    Now this might sound stupid and may well be , but Friends

It seemed to change every series, I think it started to promote Monica, but ended up for Rachel, but all along my favourite was Joey.

Contentious I know, would be nice to hear other views :)

Doesn't sound stupid at all - I thought of exactly the same thing when I saw this thread title.
  • c0boc0bo Posts: 6,468
    Forum Member
    Mighty Morphing Power Rangers Tommy was supposed to be a secondary character but I just feel like he became more popular than the main stars.
  • gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dad's Army - Even though Mainwaring (Arthur Lowe) was the main character.I always felt that Lance-Corporal Jones (Clive Dunn) was really the star of the show.He always got the funny lines & was involved in most of the mishaps.

Are You Being Served? - I don't know if Mr Humphries (John Inman) was meant to be the star of the show.But i thought between series 1 -7 Mr Lucas (Trevor Bannister) stole the show.
  • tomvoxxtomvoxx Posts: 2,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dangermouse - Count Duckula managed 3 successful series. Not bad for a bit part character.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    In Seinfield, I seem to feel Kramer was usually more fondly remembered than Jerry, I could be wrong there though?

Both were outshone by George Constanza in my opinion. So many brilliant moments. Kramer could feel a bit forced at times. George's bits were grounded in realism for me.
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    treefr0g wrote: »
    Everybody was good in 'The Day Today' but imo Alan Partridge was the star of the show.

I disagree.

I thought the Partridge section was by some way the weakest through the series.

IC89 wrote: »
    West Wing A show originally written around Sam Seaborn (Rob Lowe) but after the pilot and resulting focus group it became clear it was better to have President Bartlet as the main character.

The quality of the other actors and their characters (especially, I think, Bradley Whitford) rapidly took it away from being Rob Lowe's show.

Initially Bartlett was going to be a very, very minor role, only being seen, and the briefly, in the odd episode.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,428
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sara Webb wrote: »
    Doesn't sound stupid at all - I thought of exactly the same thing when I saw this thread title.

aww thanks sara
  • katkimkatkim Posts: 10,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glee - Rachel, Finn and Mr Schue as the leads, but there's a lot of love out there for Sue Slyvester, Britney and Kurt.

I agree with Fraiser, Niles is possibly one of my all time favourite characters.

ER started out as an ensemble cast, but then in the later years it lost it's way and became the Abby Show and Maura almost had to carry the show.