James May's Man Fix

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
Forum Member
If ‘Man Lab’ is the answer to restoring the inventive scientific, cultural, and artistic genius of a lost generation of British men, we may as well all switch on our badly wired televisions and watch Gok Wan’s Fashion Fix.

You can read my full article at AberGabber
:)

Comments

• tony le mesmertony le mesmer Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AberGabber wrote: »
    If ‘Man Lab’ is the answer to restoring the inventive scientific, cultural, and artistic genius of a lost generation of British men, we may as well all switch on our badly wired televisions and watch Gok Wan’s Fashion Fix.

You can read my full article at AberGabber
    :)

So you signed up to promote your blog rather than to discuss on the forum?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Er, no.

I wrote a blog of about 6-7 hundred words and obviously couldn't reproduce them here. I was rather hoping that people might read the blog and comment here. And it might go on...

No?
  • DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do quite like James but i must admit I found this show puzzling, it kind of didn't know what it wanted to be. The start had James ranting about how sissy modern men were and how they don't know how to wire a plug. This was fair enough, but then why did it cut to a bit with him teaching how to serenade women with Medieval folk songs; then why did the show cut from that to him doing WW2 bomb disposal (???). If James takes so much offence at the state of current manhood how come he struggled to wire a plug, and had to have a soldier half his age tell him how to shine his shoes properly.
    Forum Member
    Absolutely! It was ridiculous. It's as though the show was advertised and introduced as one thing, then James just said 'right, enough of that, let's just mess about for an hour'
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw his comments dismissing "new" men as "parmesan shavers" about ten minutes after I'd been - er - shaving parmesan.
  • tony le mesmertony le mesmer Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AberGabber wrote: »
    Er, no.

I wrote a blog of about 6-7 hundred words and obviously couldn't reproduce them here. I was rather hoping that people might read the blog and comment here. And it might go on...

No?

Fair enough, I just get annoyed when people come on here purely to promote their own sites. it might be worth putting a link into your profile to it though if you're sticking around.
    Forum Member
    I do hope to be sticking around. This seems to be the best of the TV forums, though I've had some laughs and very interesting debates on TVChat.
    I didn't realise I could put a link in my profile. Will investigate forthwith...
  • breppobreppo Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always liked his programmes, but this one has been given the Top Gear treatment with contrived jokes, the obligatory dig at the political left (the left wing colander), etc.
    It's drunken pub talk brought to television.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 274
    Forum Member
    Being a girl, I'm probably not one of the target audience :) but I really enjoyed it, it was a perfectly bit of Sunday night fluff
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can wire a plug brown right blue left & the wire that is left in the middle bit :D

You never know when you need to defuse a bomb though.

Personally I'd cut the green wire!

Aw shite it's the red!

Grab the cat!!!! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's face it; May, Hammond and their oafish mate Clarkson have lucked into appearing on television.

They have polished their "The Boys just arsing around around, having a bit of a laugh" schtick until it is paper thin.

They seem to have no discernible talent other than reading puerile scripts to camera and they think that's enough to get by on.

Stop watching them and their various programmes and perhaps they'll fade away to a life of 'celebrity' appearances at Butlins which is much more suited to their skill set.
  • Banana RamaBanana Rama Posts: 3,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This show is great, I really enjoyed it, James May is great, I look forward to next weeks episode.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An odd programme and it’s enoyability is wholly dependant on whether or not you find May’s retro-patriotic style of humour funny or not. I do and so watched bemusedly and happliy but I can easily see why people would hate it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Marine summed up James May and the show when he simply told him "You're weak".
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Prontopro wrote: »
    The Marine summed up James May and the show when he simply told him "You're weak".

Aww c’mon....That was very funny.
  • stu0rtstu0rt Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't like it. James May is the best of the three Top Gear folk and has done some great stuff in the past. The Toy Stories and the series last year where he did giant Lego, Airfix, etc. Oh, and the one where he went almost into space.

But this was poor stuff. His rhyme for wiring a plug didn't even work! I rushed up the M1 so I could be home in time to watch it, but I won't go out of my way to catch the next episode.
  • newda898newda898 Posts: 5,465
    Forum Member
    stu0rt wrote: »
    I didn't like it. James May is the best of the three Top Gear folk and has done some great stuff in the past. The Toy Stories and the series last year where he did giant Lego, Airfix, etc. Oh, and the one where he went almost into space.

But this was poor stuff. His rhyme for wiring a plug didn't even work! I rushed up the M1 so I could be home in time to watch it, but I won't go out of my way to catch the next episode.

I agree. I was expecting something along those lines too, was a bit disappointed with it.

I like the idea, but I was expecting more along the lines of "how do they do it" rather than the light hearted messing around.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was ok silly man things not to be taken & irritated the wife with all the daft man things going on. That
    works for me.
    Forum Member
    It's a real shame. That's my feeling about the show. The Toy series James made was fun, informative, constructive and well structured.

This show is what it is (obviously!) but it COULD have been so much more. Of course I don't have to watch, and I don't think I'll bother again. But that doesn't stop me being disappointed that the space it occupies isn't being filled with the show it actually promised to be.

If I could speak to the guy I'd have to say, 'Come on James, you're better than this.'
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I kind of liked it and will continue to watch, but I agree that it sort of had an identity crisis. The trails suggested that it was about encouraging men to be like our forefathers who were, if myth is to be believed, able to make or repair anything out of bits and bobs found in their shed.

Instead it was May and his mates ****ing about using their time and skills unproductively. I mean, a train set that delivers a banana! Fun idea but hardly useful. The segment with the boy wooing his one true love ... hardly useful. Defusing a bomb (and effectively failing) ... hardly useful.

Yeah, there's a pattern emerging. :) Unless things change, I doubt it will see a second series?
  • SentenzaSentenza Posts: 12,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even I can wire a plug and I'm colourblind :D

I did once put in a car radio though and it started smoking.
    Forum Member
    The car or the radio?:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Aww c’mon....That was very funny.

Yes it was funny but on reflection it also summarised the show for me.

The piece when he fried 5 fishfingers and put it a butty - rubbish

The seduction piece - rubbish

The concrete worktop - rubbish

The bomb disposal - rubbish

The railway set carrying a banana - rubbish.

The island worktop only had an electrical connection, there was no pipework to the sink nor the taps.

The individual parts of the show were all weak and the sum of the parts was even weaker.

James May can do much much better IMO.
  • swillsswills Posts: 4,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can wire a plug brown right blue left & the wire that is left in the middle bit :D

You never know when you need to defuse a bomb though.

Personally I'd cut the green wire!

Aw shite it's the red!

Grab the cat!!!! :D

Why all the problems with wiring a plug?

BLUE: left. BROWN: right, simples, even for James !
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought this would be good , practical etc. but stuff like deffusing a bomb -- ??

and a concrete kitchen surface - how the hell would you clean it ? it's full of bumps and holes !