Favourite Stephen King books

grazmangrazman Posts: 607
Forum Member
✭✭
I've just started reading Stephen King and really enjoying them. Cant believe i've never read anything of his until now, have seen a few film adaptations but not read any of the stories. Have started off right at the beginning with his first novel Carrie and i'm now upto the short story collection Night Shift and my favourites so far have to be The Shining, 'Salems Lot, The Ledge (short story), Quitters, Inc. (short story) and I Am The Doorway (short story).

Whats everyones favourite King books and have i got some classics to look forward to..

hide spoilers please...:D

Comments

• Yog101Yog101 Posts: 532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been really getting to Stephen King novels over the past year. Recently just finished the 4th book of The Dark Tower series, which has so far been excellent.
    Favourites probably include:

The Running Man
    Drawing of the Three
    The Waste Lands
    IT

I think I'm going to concentrate on finishing The Dark Tower series before I move on to some of the other classics.
  • jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    The Stand is my favourite book of all time

Other Stephen King favourites are

The Shining
    Carrie
    Different Seasons
    Salems Lot

The Dark Tower ones are next on my wishlist for my Kindle,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    The Stand and The Talisman with an honorable mention going to The Library Policeman novella.
  • Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hard to pick out just one.

But my favourites would be :

The Green Mile
    The Stand
    Under The Dome
    Misery
    Carrie
    Cujo

I tend to prefer the ones that have a grounding in reality. Some of his books are a bit fantastical and I find them hard to identify with. I don't much like ghost stories.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,403
    Forum Member
    Hmmm - it just has to be It for me in terms of scarifying stories :eek:. You will never like or trust clowns ever again :eek:.
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,158
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed 11.22.63, I was really sad when I finished that book.
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP do not start reading The Long Walk in the evening. You will stay up very late to finish it.

They are all great, before The Dark Half.
  • abigail1234abigail1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Misery - I loved it
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My favourite so far has probably been Under the Dome, but I read Carrie and The Shining years ago, and the JFK one (can't remember numbers right now!) recently which kick-started my interest.

I tried Lissey's Story and gave up after 100 pages.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    The Shining is definitely my favourite Stephen King novel. Misery, The Stand and IT are also great.
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have most of King's book. Built up quite the collection.

My personal favourites are IT, The Girl who Loved Tom Gordon and Needful Things.
    Of course I like most of his books. Find the more recent offerings less to my taste though. Cell for me was a very weak book.
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Stand and The Shining will always be the ones to beat for me. Also remember really enjoying Christine and IT. (Not good if you don't like clowns!) I read loads when I was younger, but fewer more recently, although I have read and enjoyed Duma Key and Under the Dome.

I think his next novel is a sequel to The Shining, due to be published next year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just noticed that Doctor Sleep is already available to pre-order on Amazon despite not being out until next September!
  • grazmangrazman Posts: 607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »
    The Stand and The Shining will always be the ones to beat for me. Also remember really enjoying Christine and IT. (Not good if you don't like clowns!) I read loads when I was younger, but fewer more recently, although I have read and enjoyed Duma Key and Under the Dome.

I think his next novel is a sequel to The Shining, due to be published next year.

Next one is JOYLAND which is out in June 2013, and then DOCTOR SLEEP (Shining 2) which is out in September 2013
  • purplelinuspurplelinus Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favourites in order are:

IT
    The Stand
    Green Mile
    Duma Key
    I think I'm the only person who loved Lissey's Story - really got into that one!

Haven't been too keen on Cell or Under the Dome, in fact I don't believe I even finished Under the Dome...I am looking forward to the new books mentioned above though!

Dark Tower - enjoyed that too, found the end a bit of a cheat though :(
  • goldberry1goldberry1 Posts: 2,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a big Stephen King fan and love most of his books (except the Dark Tower ones). But who knew that Mr King could help in other ways. Recently I faced a very dificult time - wont go into details - anyway I had to endure 31 hours of a bad situation - just happened to be reading the Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon about a litttle girl lost near the Appalachian Trail in New England - it was all about endurance and how to survive - believe me it helped a lot.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My favourites in order are:

IT
    The Stand
    Green Mile
    Duma Key
    I think I'm the only person who loved Lissey's Story - really got into that one!

Haven't been too keen on Cell or Under the Dome, in fact I don't believe I even finished Under the Dome...I am looking forward to the new books mentioned above though!

Dark Tower - enjoyed that too, found the end a bit of a cheat though :(

Lissey's Story is actually one I'd like to read - I've pretty much only read good things about it.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    IT
    The Talisman
    The Shining
    The Stand
    Misery
    Carrie
    Salems Lot
    Christine
    Dreamcatcher
    The Tommy Knockers
    The MIst
    The Dead Zone.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    My favourite so far has probably been Under the Dome, but I read Carrie and The Shining years ago, and the JFK one (can't remember numbers right now!) recently which kick-started my interest.

I tried Lissey's Story and gave up after 100 pages.

11/22/63
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I reallly liked Cell. I like Under the dome but I need to go back to reading it it's too long. Interestinly the concept is a bit like Michael grant's gone series.
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I reallly liked Cell. I like Under the dome but I need to go back to reading it it's too long. Interestinly the concept is a bit like Michael grant's gone series.

Yes, you're right, I hadn't spotted that. I liked that element about the Gone series, but lost interest towards the end of the first book when it went a bit genetically modified.
  • AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Misery - I loved it
    Agreed. It was so much better than the film and even the film was brilliant.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Just finished 11.22.63 - it's his best since Dark Half. I was gripped throughout.
  • lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Stand... epic I've read it about 10 times.
    Needful Things.
    Carrie.
    Misery.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good to hear so many liked 11.22.63. I thought it sounded great, but the only review of it I read seemed to suggest it was let down because you kind of knew throughout where the end was headed, and it took a long time to get there. Might have to get hold of it now.