F1 Coverage - The Verdict: 2015 Season

Comments

• stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,395
    Forum Member
    Here's the 2005 DTM race of legends which featured Nigel Mansell, Emmerson Fittipaldi, Jody Scheckter, Mick Doohan, Johnny Cecotto & Alain Prost in a time trial event at the Norisring in year old DTM cars.
    https://youtu.be/8cfXc0MICdI

I've got a lot of stuff i hope to be uploading, There's some F1 stuff but a lot of it lower category stuff like Star Mazda, Champcar Atlantics, Formula BMW, F3, Indy Lights & theres a bit of Champcar & Touring cars as well.
  • EchtiEchti Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    alexj2002 wrote: »
    To be fair, they've used that head on view angle before, so it's not necessarily for ad-placement reasons - here's a pretty much identical example from 11 years ago: http://imgur.com/a/cAmL2

Bear in mind that 11 years ago a host broadcaster was in charge there and they basically only had this one camera angle to cover the main straight.
  • FOMFanFOMFan Posts: 5,466
    Forum Member
    dansus wrote: »
    I quite liked the wire cam once it caught up with the cars, you could see how they are progressing relative to each other. When it cut to that low head on shot, you had no idea what was going on.

FF, you do yourself no favours defending the indefendable. Or put in other words..
    Give it a rest you muppet
    To be fair I did say that the head-on shot was too low to begin with.
  • alexj2002alexj2002 Posts: 3,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Echti wrote: »
    Bear in mind that 11 years ago a host broadcaster was in charge there and they basically only had this one camera angle to cover the main straight.

True, and I think it's probably the same reason that FOM have resorted to using it as well, as it means less cameras are needed. I don't think it's being used to deliberately cram more ads onto the screen, as some suggested.

That said, go back a little further and even the host broadcaster was using a dedicated camera roughly in line with the end of the pit exit for the initial start, switching to the long shot once the cars were over the top of the hill, which is how it should be done: http://i.imgur.com/M1F0rcW.png
  • EchtiEchti Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    FOM made it perfectly in the past: they had a low shot very close to the start/finish line for the lights and once they went out the director switched to a high crane camera down at turn 1 which gave a perfect overview. But fancy angles and numerous of cuts during the start seems to be the new way to go for them nowadays.
    I don't know who there at FOM makes these decisions but making the most interesting and dramatic part of a race difficult to follow isn't the best decision you can make.
    Forum Member
    I seriously think most of you are overthinking it here. Yes it may be too low for all of about 2 seconds, but the same shot has been used before (as others have pointed out above) for 10+ years, and only now you've all just noticed it? Personally i don't mind it as it builds up tension, it's a nice image to see the cars bursting over the horizon, not immediately knowing who's gained places. It's hardly on the scale of the cut to the crowd when Hamilton was passing Rosberg (or vice versa) in Canada last year. And as for the pitlane wire-cam at the start? Again it's only for like 2 seconds, and you still saw the pack breaking away. People have been complaining before that FOM don't use enough variety in the camera angles, they're still in the same old places and the same shots, yet when they do try and mix things up, to try and offer a fresh perspective on things, they get criticised. You're putting them between a rock & a hard place. Whatever they do won't be right for the anal "fans" who are leap down on them like a tonne of bricks whenever a single shot is slightly too low for 1 or 2 piddly seconds.

/Rant over
  • stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,079
    Forum Member
    FOM Fan wrote: »
    I seriously think most of you are overthinking it here. Yes it may be too low for all of about 2 seconds, but the same shot has been used before (as others have pointed out above) for 10+ years, and only now you've all just noticed it? Personally i don't mind it as it builds up tension, it's a nice image to see the cars bursting over the horizon, not immediately knowing who's gained places. It's hardly on the scale of the cut to the crowd when Hamilton was passing Rosberg (or vice versa) in Canada last year. And as for the pitlane wire-cam at the start? Again it's only for like 2 seconds, and you still saw the pack breaking away. People have been complaining before that FOM don't use enough variety in the camera angles, they're still in the same old places and the same shots, yet when they do try and mix things up, to try and offer a fresh perspective on things, they get criticised. You're putting them between a rock & a hard place. Whatever they do won't be right for the anal "fans" who are leap down on them like a tonne of bricks whenever a single shot is slightly too low for 1 or 2 piddly seconds.

/Rant over

So basically the long and short of it in your view is that those who criticise FOM are anal "fans". Nice to know where I stand then, I'm little more than an anal "fan". I'll be sure to remind myself of that whenever I criticise FOM.

Unfortunately you seem completely incapable of accepting any sort of criticism of them (no surprise given your name) even when it's perfectly reasonable and the reasons are explained. You remind me of a former poster (not aware if he's still an active user or not) who basically seemed to be there just to get on peoples nerves for no reason.

So, just remember everyone, if you criticise FOM for any reason over any issue then you're an anal "fan".
  • dansusdansus Posts: 2,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Again it's only for like 2 seconds, and you still saw the pack breaking away.

/Rant over

A lot can happen in 2 seconds, and that shot lasts for 11.24s
  • BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    This has been a great thread but I can't put up with this troll anymore, I'm out.
  • pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This has been a great thread but I can't put up with this troll anymore, I'm out.

Ignore button?
    Forum Member
    stevvy1986 wrote: »
    So basically the long and short of it in your view is that those who criticise FOM are anal "fans". Nice to know where I stand then, I'm little more than an anal "fan". I'll be sure to remind myself of that whenever I criticise FOM.

Unfortunately you seem completely incapable of accepting any sort of criticism of them (no surprise given your name) even when it's perfectly reasonable and the reasons are explained. You remind me of a former poster (not aware if he's still an active user or not) who basically seemed to be there just to get on peoples nerves for no reason.

So, just remember everyone, if you criticise FOM for any reason over any issue then you're an anal "fan".
    No, not any reason. Only Inconsequential & pointlessly pedantic reasons.
    dansus wrote: »
    A lot can happen in 2 seconds, and that shot lasts for 11.24s
    Yes but within a couple of seconds of that shot the cars had gone over the crest of the hill so you could see them clearly anyway.
  • dansusdansus Posts: 2,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes but within a couple of seconds of that shot the cars had gone over the crest of the hill so you could see them clearly anyway.

You can see the cars but not how they are moving around relatively or their 'attitude' so to speak. So much goes on at the start, usually in a split of a second, only certain angles will capture whats going on.
  • JonpollakJonpollak Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey... I'm an anal fan.
    HotKinkyJo is my favorite.
    Jp
  • Gordie10Gordie10 Posts: 2,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At the start of a race, the action speaks for itself (as long as you can see it, that is). In any sport, when the action is at its peak, just keep it simple - no broadcaster needs to be getting creative with its coverage. Save that sort of thing for the duller moments, when the viewer needs his/her interest piqued.
  • BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    Ignore button?

There is no other talk in this thread anymore, if everyone used the ignore button and stopped quoting obvious trolling comments then maybe we would have a decent thread back.

I can't be the only one who has noticed how many long time users have disappeared from this thread.
  • wal28wal28 Posts: 1,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quick question for regular readers of the thread: what has happened to Will Buxton.

Having watched the first two GP2 races I note it sounds like a new voice.

I always quite like Will's mixture of random off topic musings and excitement for the racing an enjoyable combination
  • stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,079
    Forum Member
    wal28 wrote: »
    Quick question for regular readers of the thread: what has happened to Will Buxton.

Having watched the first two GP2 races I note it sounds like a new voice.

I always quite like Will's mixture of random off topic musings and excitement for the racing an enjoyable combination

He left the job (can't remember if he was pushed or went of his own accord but he no longer does it, which is a shame in my view). I think the new main commentator is someone called Alex Jacques, but I'm not 100% certain on that as, put simply, I can't remember for sure.
  • callmedivacallmediva Posts: 1,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He left the job (can't remember if he was pushed or went of his own accord but he no longer does it, which is a shame in my view). I think the new main commentator is someone called Alex Jacques, but I'm not 100% certain on that as, put simply, I can't remember for sure.

I know he's new and you need to give people a chance, which I'm willing to do, but I'm really missing Wills commentary
    Forum Member
    https://willthef1journo.wordpress.com/2014/11/10/a-very-warm-goodbye/
    Just as every GP2 and GP3 driver hopes that his or her exploits in the championships will lead to a full-time ride in F1, so my commentary in the feeder series led to my being picked up as a Formula 1 pit reporter, first for SPEED in the USA and now with NBCSN. My work in America has increased over the years to the point where I feel I am no longer able to divide my time effectively between three championships. By concentrating solely on Formula 1, I hope that I will be able to improve the quality of the content I bring to the burgeoning American audience, and help to grow the sport Stateside.

It is a decision with which I have toiled and has been one of the hardest of my professional career to make.

But all things must pass, and I feel that now is the right time to move on.

I also got the impression with what he was saying leading upto that announcement that he wasn't thrilled with what was going on with GP2, Such as the way they were letting driving standards decline by not handing out penalty's to drivers who were constantly doing stupid stuff & then by backtracking on a 2011 promise that GP2 would never have DRS (Something Will spoke about been very disappointed about when they announced DRS).
  • wal28wal28 Posts: 1,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well good luck to Will - I hope he prospers over in the US - I thought he was very good at times a bit erratic. I supopse much like an exciting GP2 talent, so he perfectly matched the series he was commentating on!

THanks for the advice!
  • RedSnapperRedSnapper Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is no other talk in this thread anymore, if everyone used the ignore button and stopped quoting obvious trolling comments then maybe we would have a decent thread back.

I can't be the only one who has noticed how many long time users have disappeared from this thread.

I agree.

I tried putting him on ignore but of course everyone quotes his ridiculous posts so its all pointless.

This thread is now just a platform for pro-FOM propaganda - as if anyone else actually gave a passing wotsit about FOM anyway.
    Forum Member
    Here's what the teams got paid in prize money for 2014:
    http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/118955
    1431517175.jpg

That $249m 'premium' payout should be cut & used to give more to the smaller teams. I'd also raise the split the teams get to at least 75% as I'm sure Bernie, FOM, CVC & whoever else gets a slice can survive on the millions they would get from the remaining 25%.

With an estimated $1.650Bn flowing into the sport its unacceptable to have teams struggling like we do & its about time those at the top of the sport wake up before we reach a point where its too late for the smaller teams.
    Forum Member
    Jonpollak wrote: »
    Hey... I'm an anal fan.
    HotKinkyJo is my favorite.
    Jp
    I'm gay so it did make me giggle writing that tbh.
    Forum Member
    1431517175.jpg

That $249m 'premium' payout should be cut & used to give more to the smaller teams. I'd also raise the split the teams get to at least 75% as I'm sure Bernie, FOM, CVC & whoever else gets a slice can survive on the millions they would get from the remaining 25%.

With an estimated $1.650Bn flowing into the sport its unacceptable to have teams struggling like we do & its about time those at the top of the sport wake up before we reach a point where its too late for the smaller teams.
    What they could do actually is just reverse how the payments in the "Premium" column are divvied up. So that it's the bottom 5 that get given that money, rather than the top five.
  • _SpeedRacer__SpeedRacer_ Posts: 6,724
    Forum Member
    1431517175.jpg

Unfortunately the idiots at FOM allowed the big teams to dictate whatever terms they liked so it will always be unfair to the smaller teams. If Sauber won the championship and Ferrari didn't score a point Ferrari would probably still get more money.

But in reality even then the smaller teams would still overspend.

Look at football - Premiership income has gone up extraordinarily over the last 20 years, yet so has debt. Nobody forced them to spend that money but they did.
This discussion has been closed.