Options

Google Chrome - Little Person next to Minimize button

Hi everyone :)

I would appreciate your help,please. I wonder if you have the following displayed in your Google Chrome browser as well.
I am using windows 7(64 bit), Google Chrome up to date. I am NOT signed in to Chrome.

I've just noticed on the top right hand side when I went to close my Google Chrome browser on my laptop a strange "clickable button with a person on it" next to "Minimize ,Maximize and Close buttons" . It sits next to Minimize button to be exact but not touching it.

**************************************************************************************************************
When I click on that person button, it opens up a little window and it shows a silhouette of a head and says "YOU" underneath it........
.....There are also following options listed:
-"Sign in to get your tabs, bookmarks, history,and other settings on all your devices."
- "Sign in to Chrome"
-" Switch Person"
- "Go Incognito"

I've checked the "Chrome Settings" and under "People" there used to be written "You are the only user" but now it doesn't say it anymore and shows the Silhouette of the Head ONLY and next to it is written "Person 1 ( current )".
***************************************************************************************************************

My questions are:
How come I suddenly have this button with the person sitting next to minimize button ? The location of this button seems strange to me. Or is that normal? I am worried.

When I click on it, it says "YOU" but is it really me? (as I mentioned above I am not signed in to Chrome and haven't signed in for about a year now)

Also because there was an alteration in the "Settings" under "People" and because it no longer says that "You are the only user" anymore as it used to and now it ONLY displays the HEAD "Person 1 (current)" there. I wonder whether "Person 1 (current) is really me? Is it? There are no other users listed. I wouldn't want to remove it by mistake and delete all my Chrome data.

P.S. I am the only user on my laptop and the only user of this browser and have been using Chrome for years but never seen this thing appear before.

Looking forward to your replies.
Thank you :)

Comments

• Options
    bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    looks exactly like that for me

I'm not signed into chrome and I'm on mac OS X
  • Options
    Lottie_loweLottie_lowe Posts: 474
    Forum Member
    bspace wrote: »
    looks exactly like that for me

I'm not signed into chrome and I'm on mac OS X

Do you remember when this "Person Button" installed on your Chrome?

Thank you:)
  • Options
    bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you remember when this "Person Button" installed on your Chrome?

Thank you:)

No, sorry. I never personalise such things so I'd never really pay it attention.

I've got chrome set to auto update so it could have happened anytime.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    bspace wrote: »
    No, sorry. I never personalise such things so I'd never really pay it attention.

I've got chrome set to auto update so it could have happened anytime.

Thank you very much for trying to help help, bspace ;-)
  • Options
    Helmut10Helmut10 Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is no problem, the feature was installed for "specially chosen users" ....

I'm the only user on this Laptop. In the Settings People Section both boxes were unticked. That section also seems to have appeared.

Seemed odd to me as well but I went to Google:

You can disable this, put "chrome://flags" (no quotes) in to the address bar.

Scroll two thirds down the list to "Enable new profile management system".

They changed the default, however you can disable it again.
  • Options
    fenlanderfenlander Posts: 2,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see no harm in this. It's just a minor functionality upgrade.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It suddenly appeared a couple of days ago. They want you to sign in so that they can spy on you. I ignore it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Helmut10 wrote: »
    There is no problem, the feature was installed for "specially chosen users" ....

I'm the only user on this Laptop. In the Settings People Section both boxes were unticked. That section also seems to have appeared.

Glad to hear this feature exists and it is nothing to worry about. I only wish I wasn't the so called specially chosen user because it made me go :o. The location of that button freaked me out even more.

Now I know the "person button" is legitimate so I can live with it and may even use this feature in the future.
    I had a look in "chrome://flags" "as you kindly suggested ("Enable new profile management system" was set to "Default") ... my first time in there but probably not suited for someone like me to be changing any settings. After all their warn you there about self combustion :D

Thanks for your help,Helmut ;-)
  • Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    If you do log in with it then log out, Chrome clears all bookmarks from the toolbar, presumably because it assumes that only a genuine logged in user could want Favourites, esp the Favourites that were there. < rolls eyes... >

Export your bookmarks so that you can easily reload them if you want to log out after logging in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »
    It suddenly appeared a couple of days ago. They want you to sign in so that they can spy on you. I ignore it.

Thank you for letting me know about your experience with it ;-).
    I guess I will ignore it for now too. I don't really have any need to be signed in to Chrome.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for letting me know about your experience with it ;-).
    I guess I will ignore it for now too. I don't really have any need to be signed in to Chrome.

I actually liked being signed into Chrome. It means my browsers are synchronised between my phone, laptop, tablet and desktop. If that means I'm being "spied on" then so be it. They are going to find my search history very boring.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Helmut10 wrote: »

I eventually found and disabled "Enable new profile management system" then duly clicked relaunch (Chrome) - but the drop down box on the menu bar, where you can select switch person or go incognito is still there :-(

I know it's not a huge problem but it does take up space on the menu bar and I just don't want it there because even though it shows that you are using chrome as a registered user, you still have to sign in to Google if you want to access your email, etc.. So as far as I can see there is absolutely no point in the thing being on my menu bar >:(
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I noticed on an experimental feature, that being web compression, I got asked if I wanted it.
  • Options
    BanziBabyBanziBaby Posts: 473
    Forum Member
    I eventually found and disabled "Enable new profile management system" then duly clicked relaunch (Chrome) - but the drop down box on the menu bar, where you can select switch person or go incognito is still there :-(

I know it's not a huge problem but it does take up space on the menu bar and I just don't want it there because even though it shows that you are using chrome as a registered user, you still have to sign in to Google if you want to access your email, etc.. So as far as I can see there is absolutely no point in the thing being on my menu bar >:(

The only way to hide it now is to add a command flag to the end of your chrome shortcut where it says Target.

C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe --disable-new-avatar-menu

Or if you have chrome installed in Program Files(x86) etc.

32bit version C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe --disable-new-avatar-menu

64bit version C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe --disable-new-avatar-menu

Doing that will make the user button hidden, you might see it again if chrome is launched from somewhere other than the shortcut, ie if you update chrome & & click the relaunch button.