Options

Corbyn: Part time attendance at PMQs?

TimCypherTimCypher Posts: 9,052
Forum Member
Rumours going around that Corbyn is only going to be participating in PMQ's 'every few weeks', the rest of the time delegating his role out to his deputies. The Mail & The Independent both have pieces on this.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jeremy-corbyn-is-going-to-completely-change-the-way-pmqs-works-10498068.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3232204/Red-buried-Poll-says-labour-lose-two-elections-Corbyn-sensationally-crowned-new-leader.html

Surely that can't be right?

Say what you like about PMQs, but it is an opportunity for the opposition to be heard and keep the government in check on key issues. And I would have said that the Leader Of The Opposition plays the most critical role in that.

I can't see the logic in this, myself...does this not send a message that you're not taking opposition seriously?

Regards,

Cypher

Comments

• Options
    clinchclinch Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TimCypher wrote: »
    Rumours going around that Corbyn is only going to be participating in PMQ's 'every few weeks', the rest of the time delegating his role out to his deputies. The Mail & The Independent both have pieces on this.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jeremy-corbyn-is-going-to-completely-change-the-way-pmqs-works-10498068.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3232204/Red-buried-Poll-says-labour-lose-two-elections-Corbyn-sensationally-crowned-new-leader.html

Say what you like about PMQs, but it is an opportunity for the opposition to be heard and keep the government in check on key issues. And I would have said that the Leader Of The Opposition plays the most critical role in that.

I can't see the logic in this, myself...does this not send a message that you're not taking opposition seriously?

Regards,

Cypher

Prime Ministers never answer questions at PMQs, anyway.
  • Options
    Mark_Jones9Mark_Jones9 Posts: 12,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Regards,

Cypher
    It appears to be part of Corbyn's stance on increasing democracy in the party, rather than it being simply follow the leader. Also it maybe a good thing as far as expertise in the subject which you want to ask about as being able to come back quickly is aided by having a comprehensive knowledge of the subject at hand. It also increases the profile of and possibly gains the favour of the Labour MPs given opportunity. And having the PM being grilled by an MP might undermine the prestige of the PM. It also becomes less about the personality of the leader of the opposition and personal snide remarks, and more about the subject under discussion.
  • Options
    Tom2023Tom2023 Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corbyn is a campaigner not a politician. While he can probably speak for days about refugees and Hamas I doubt he could tell you very much about the tax system or the NHS or transport policy.

Of course the Opposition leader has 6 questions. The SNP get 2 or 3 and all other MPs get 1. Why would he want to forgo 5 questions?
  • Options
    LandisLandis Posts: 14,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think it is just the opposite. He is talking to the Speaker about dealing with a problem. The problem he perceives is that Cameron thinks it is some sort of amusing game to dodge questions about Food Banks.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure how you get "part-time attendance" from "obviously I'll be there"...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Landis wrote: »
    I think it is just the opposite. He is talking to the Speaker about dealing with a problem. The problem he perceives is that Cameron thinks it is some sort of amusing game to dodge questions about Food Banks.

But Cameron dodging and ducking questions of national importance only benefits the opposition as Cameron is seen as a man without answers.

Regards,

Cypher
  • Options
    Tom2023Tom2023 Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Landis wrote: »

There have been foodbanks for over 50 years.

The last government overturned Labour's ban on foodbanks advertising in jobcentres. That doesn't sound like a man trying to sweep foodbanks under the carpet does it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    stoatie wrote: »
    Not sure how you get "part-time attendance" from "obviously I'll be there"...

I meant in terms of him not being the one fielding the Leader Of The Opposition's six questions. Sorry if that was unclear.

Regards,

Cypher
  • Options
    gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Regards,

Cypher

BIB Not sure how many of the people who took part in this...

"Tuned in or Turned off? Public attitudes to Prime Minister’s Questions"

...survey would agree with you

http://www.hansardsociety.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Tuned-in-or-Turned-off-Public-attitudes-to-PMQs.pdf
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BIB Not sure how many of the people who took part in this...

"Tuned in or Turned off? Public attitudes to Prime Minister’s Questions"

...survey would agree with you

http://www.hansardsociety.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Tuned-in-or-Turned-off-Public-attitudes-to-PMQs.pdf

I can't see anything in that document that goes against the BIB.

That PMQs provides the opposition with an opportunity to be heard and hold the government to account, I'd say, were manifestly obvious facts..

Regards,

Cypher
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Regards,

Cypher

The Speaker controls parliamentary procedures not Corbyn. Until the members of the chamber decide to change the timing and frequency the rules will be upheld.
  • Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It may just be a canny enough idea that gives greater exposure to whoever is in his shadow cabinet. I think that people who are 'into' politics overrate the relevance of PMQs anyway. Cameron dodges the questions, the same old faces wheel out their sound bytes and they all holler like baying brutes. It's the sort of thing that turns people off Westminster politics.
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Spot on. Leaders on both sides under the microscope. Corbyn will need to establish his leadership credentials - this move won't help one bit. And I'm far from certain that the electorate will take to a party being led by committee - which is what Corbyn is already suggesting and this is exemplifying.

I'm also questioning what Bercow will make of all of this.
  • Options
    FruityLoopyFruityLoopy Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure Corbyn will be the one there asking the questions each week but I love his idea of letting the public submit questions and he will choose the best.

For too long people felt left out of the Westminster bubble. This is a great way to make them feel involved.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »
    Spot on. Leaders on both sides under the microscope. Corbyn will need to establish his leadership credentials - this move won't help one bit. And I'm far from certain that the electorate will take to a party being led by committee - which is what Corbyn is already suggesting and this is exemplifying.

I'm also questioning what Bercow will make of all of this.

He will apply the rules laid down.

If Corbyn hasn't got the courage to face the PM once a week then he will look like a total coward.
  • Options
    bozzimacoobozzimacoo Posts: 1,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It appears to be part of Corbyn's stance on increasing democracy in the party, rather than it being simply follow the leader. Also it maybe a good thing as far as expertise in the subject which you want to ask about as being able to come back quickly is aided by having a comprehensive knowledge of the subject at hand. It also increases the profile of and possibly gains the favour of the Labour MPs given opportunity. And having the PM being grilled by an MP might undermine the prestige of the PM. It also becomes less about the personality of the leader of the opposition and personal snide remarks, and more about the subject under discussion.

I believe JC has put a lot of thought into this as you have so eloquently put. I doubt it is for no reason, but a well thought out alternative instead of rabble rousing, swerving and mud-slinging. He's seen it all before.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,992
    Forum Member
    Labour will still be heard at PMQ's. It's not like he's saying Labour will withdraw from PMQ's altogether. Everything that Corbyn can do stood there, another senior member of the Labour Party can do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    bozzimacoo wrote: »
    I believe JC has put a lot of thought into this as you have so eloquently put. I doubt it is for no reason, but a well thought out alternative instead of rabble rousing, swerving and mud-slinging. He's seen it all before.

He has also said that he will have to consult the Speaker about his ideas.

The procedure behind PMQs has come under review 12 times in 1965, 1970, 1972, 1976, 1990, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1997, 2002, 2007 and 2009. While some changes to its format have been notable, testament to its political value, the practice of PMQs, remains, in essence, the same as it was in 1961.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Labour will still be heard at PMQ's. It's not like he's saying Labour will withdraw from PMQ's altogether. Everything that Corbyn can do stood there, another senior member of the Labour Party can do.

Leaders are meant to lead not deputise.
  • Options
    gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't see anything in that document that goes against the BIB.

That PMQs provides the opposition with an opportunity to be heard and hold the government to account, I'd say, were manifestly obvious facts..

Regards,

Cypher

It shows that by and large people are not interested in what is said by the government or the opposition during PMQ's mainly because of the behaviour of MPs on all sides of the house.
  • Options
    bozzimacoobozzimacoo Posts: 1,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    He has also said that he will have to consult the Speaker about his ideas.

It's a start, fine if it ain't the westminster way, but if there are no objections.... aye ok
  • Options
    FruityLoopyFruityLoopy Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a start, fine if it ain't the westminster way, but if there are no objections.... aye ok

Bercow is reasonable. He may even like the idea. Everyone knows PMQs is a farce, its time to make it serious again. If that means letting the public submit questions and letting Labour MPs share the questioning its a bold move but also an interesting one.

I would back it. UK politics is so outdated. I find it embarrassing.
  • Options
    mark e amark e a Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the PM or LOTO are absent don't both the Tories field a deputy? So if Corbyn isn't present doesn't Osborne take PMQs???
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

But there will be objections and Corby will be expected to observe the rules. He is not very good at this having voted against his own party over five hundred times. He isn't a serious politician he is just an overgrown student protester.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    mark e a wrote: »
    If the PM or LOTO are absent don't both the Tories field a deputy? So if Corbyn isn't present doesn't Osborne take PMQs???

In the PM's absence a deputy is given the task. In the past it was Clegg more recently, in June, it was Osborne doing it for the first time ever.