Options

Travelling to work 'is work', European court rules

Comments

• Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You try and tell the job center that you can't travel too far and how much it will cost.

Last I heard, the Job Centre take both into consideration.
  • Options
    Skyler_WrightSkyler_Wright Posts: 1,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    Last I heard, the Job Centre take both into consideration.

Now you really do need to wake up.

With the amount of job center threads on this site I would have thought you would have learnt something.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now you really do need to wake up.

With the amount of job center threads on this site I would have thought you would have learnt something.

What gives you the monopoly? I was unemployed for over two years until 18 months ago, I been subjected to all sorts of bully boy tactics and hardship and I know that they don't expect you to travel more than 3 hrs per day nor do they expect you to take a job where the cost of travel takes more salary than you need to live.

Get over yourself!
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    Armi wrote: »
    It's true I'm afraid.

I know someone who is a carer on zero hours contract. She visits several clients in each day, and only gets paid for the time she is at the client's home - not for the travelling time - and she has to pay for the travel expense out of her own pocket.

Terrible.
  • Options
    bingbongbingbong Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any firm being put out of business by this would be an excellent result, the work will still be there and may end being done by a firm that does do better by its employees. Firms that tend to cheat their staff will cheat their customers as well and given a chance probably the tax office. They are no loss to the economy.
  • Options
    ArmiArmi Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »
    Terrible.

It is.

I think these zero hours arrangements have their place - especially in regard to getting a business up and running, and also offering part time work to people who for one reason or other can't commit to 37 hours.... but some firms are really milking it and taking the piss out of people.
  • Options
    Skyler_WrightSkyler_Wright Posts: 1,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    What gives you the monopoly? I was unemployed for over two years until 18 months ago, I been subjected to all sorts of bully boy tactics and hardship and I know that they don't expect you to travel more than 3 hrs per day nor do they expect you to take a job where the cost of travel takes more salary than you need to live.

Get over yourself!

The topic is about a fairer society and reducing disadvantage for all, that's all I'm saying.

Why don't you man up and assume responsibility for your nonsense?
  • Options
    Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    Armi wrote: »
    It is.

I think these zero hours arrangements have their place - especially in regard to getting a business up and running, and also offering part time work to people who for one reason or other can't commit to 37 hours.... but some firms are really milking it and taking the piss out of people.

One of the big issues with care firms is that they have people on zero hour contracts in perpetuity, yet working full time, often regular hours. In these cases it isn't an arrangement of mutual convenience but a way to dodge legislation and rights. There doesn't seem to be anything stopping employers hiring staff to work a 40 hour week, Monday to Friday, 9-5, on zero hour contracts. If the employee falls out of favour or has a grievance, goodbye hours.
  • Options
    ArmiArmi Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the big issues with care firms is that they have people on zero hour contracts in perpetuity, yet working full time, often regular hours. In these cases it isn't an arrangement of mutual convenience but a way to dodge legislation and rights. There doesn't seem to be anything stopping employers hiring staff to work a 40 hour week, Monday to Friday, 9-5, on zero hour contracts. If the employee falls out of favour or has a grievance, goodbye hours.

Yep.

Also no sick pay, no holiday pay - and worst of all for the person AND the treasury in the long term - no pension.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The topic is about a fairer society and reducing disadvantage for all, that's all I'm saying.

Why don't you man up and assume responsibility for your nonsense?

Eh? Is that the topic, is it really?? :D:D:D

Responsibility, for what, your huge Whoosh moment back up the thread, your massive brain fart that is ALL people should be paid to go to and from work!

Roger that, cant argue, carry on! :D:D
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very good news but should be available to all jobs.

I live the furthest in my work place, I spend £150 oyster a month to and from work plus I live alone while most of my work colleagues live walking distance and live with mum and dad.

Employers should consider all this.

It's not fair.>:(

It's called ordinary commuting. What's not particularly fair is that those who could potentially benefit from this new rule, -those currently without a permanent workplace and who go from home to their fist appointment and then straight home after their last job- may now faced with being allocated a permanent base where they will be required to attend before their first job and then after their last job of the day, making their journey to and from work an ordinary commute.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very good news but should be available to all jobs.

I live the furthest in my work place, I spend £150 oyster a month to and from work plus I live alone while most of my work colleagues live walking distance and live with mum and dad.

Employers should consider all this.

It's not fair.>:(

So you think people should get paid for the time they spend commuting to the office? That would be good news if your train breaks down or there is a traffic jam.

I live a 20 minute drive from work but I have colleagues who travel for 2 or 3 hours each way. I don't see why they should be paid more than me for doing the same job. They knew what the commute would be when then accepted the job offer.

I don't really have a problem with this judgement as I'd be annoyed if I was in their situation but extending it to all jobs would be ludicrous.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,925
    Forum Member
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    Its £7.20 not £12. Companies will survive. It's just a smokescreen they use to try to stop paying higher wages.

If you think that then you really have no idea about how the economy works.
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    It's called ordinary commuting. What's not particularly fair is that those who could potentially benefit from this new rule, -those currently without a permanent workplace and who go from home to their fist appointment and then straight home after their last job- may now faced with being allocated a permanent base where they will be required to attend before their first job and then after their last job of the day, making their journey to and from work an ordinary commute.

But a lot of the businesses that will be impacted by this (including the Spanish company this judgment was about) got rid of their permanent bases to save money. I can't see organisations buying/renting/building sites (all around the country in some cases) for workers to 'touch base' just to get around having to pay a relatively small amount of travel time.
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you think that then you really have no idea about how the economy works.
    So you would be quite happy for business to keep paying crap wages, while taxpayers subside companies by paying for tax credits.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Evo102 wrote: »
    But a lot of the businesses that will be impacted by this (including the Spanish company this judgment was about) got rid of their permanent bases to save money. I can't see organisations buying/renting/building sites (all around the country in some cases) for workers to 'touch base' just to get around having to pay a relatively small amount of travel time.

Most UK employers do have at least one permanent base though. I can certainly understand small to mid size businesses possibly going along with the new rules if they can absorb the additional cost - although not necessarily; a small business on a tight budget covering a smallish local area might now require employees to report to the permanent base. For large employers with locations nationwide and hundreds of regular mobile employees the extra cost could be fairly significant. It may be more convenient for them to introduce new processes. Ultimately it will depend on several factors such as geography, staff numbers, the size of the business, etc. what may be right for one employer may not be right for another.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    So you would be quite happy for business to keep paying crap wages, while taxpayers subside companies by paying for tax credits.

Yes I would.
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Yes I would.

Why ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tim59 wrote: »
    Why ?

Because it won't force employers out of business. Haven't we been through this already?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Because it won't force employers out of business. Haven't we been through this already?

But who says it will force employers out of buisness, we had all these scare stories when the NMW was being brought in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tim59 wrote: »
    But who says it will force employers out of buisness, we had all these scare stories when the NMW was being brought in.

Plenty of examples given this week, including the social care company whose payroll will increase by £5m next year and every year after that. Maybe it won't put them out of business, but we can look forward to increased inflation and then increased interest rates to control the inflation, leaving a lot of people back where they started.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Why stop at wages? If a business can't afford it, let's get the taxpayer to pay for stock, maybe even the utility bills the office runs up, some equipment here and there. I mean, if you can't afford to run your business you just get somebody else to pay, right?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why stop at wages? If a business can't afford it, let's get the taxpayer to pay for stock, maybe even the utility bills the office runs up, some equipment here and there. I mean, if you can't afford to run your business you just get somebody else to pay, right?

Now you're just being ridiculous.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Plenty of examples given this week, including the social care company whose payroll will increase by £5m next year and every year after that. Maybe it won't put them out of business, but we can look forward to increased inflation and then increased interest rates to control the inflation, leaving a lot of people back where they started.

You mean the same soical care companies that have been under paying the NMW. The same sector that has the highest turn over of staff because of poor wages and bad working conditions, which has a knock negitive knock on effect for people recieving and needing the care. https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=9&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CFwQFjAIahUKEwisy8aLk_HHAhWD2xoKHQB3AOg&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.independent.co.uk%2Flife-style%2Fhealth-and-families%2Fmihomecare-one-of-uks-biggest-care-agencies-being-sued-for-paying-below-minimum-wage-10450780.html&usg=AFQjCNHeYQpNB1FA7iHL9NxNjLJuAyPGMg
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Now you're just being ridiculous.

As ridiculous as the taxpayer paying staff wages because a business can't afford it.