Options

What are you reading at the moment? (Part 4)

Comments

• Options
    ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    Currently reading The City & The City by China Mieville. 100 pages in and enjoying it so far, although it is a bit of a mindbender and not easy to get into.
  • Options
    dymafidymafi Posts: 775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finished Brian McGillaway's Little Girl Lost .. not as good as his Inspector Devlin series. Characters here a bit one dimensional .. too many of them as well .. nothing much happens for first half then in the second half it really kicks off with deaths betrayals secrets, So with better character development and quicker plot development early on .. this could have been a corker.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    The hobbit
  • Options
    miaowmiaow Posts: 8,495
    Forum Member
    Just coming to the end of A Glastonbury Romance by J C Powys and just started Starlight by Stella Gibbons.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cold Granite - Stuart MacBride

I discovered him very recently. Very easy, amusing style to read.
  • Options
    Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    Elizabeth Haynes- Revenge of the Tide
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member
    Just finished reading Lottery: The fortunes and misfortunes of Perry L Crandall By Patricia Wood. An amazing read.
  • Options
    JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Darkness That Comes Before: The Prince of Nothing, Book One - R. Scott Bakker
  • Options
    Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    Lesley Glaister- Nina Todd has gone
  • Options
    GirlfromEireannGirlfromEireann Posts: 4,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finished 'Lone WOlf' by Jodi Picoult. Enjoyed it, although not her greatest, in my opinion.

Now starting 'The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out The Window and Disappeared'. OK so far, think it takes a little while to warm up!
  • Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    The IPCRESS File by Len Deighton
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finished Stuart Maconie's Hope and Glory .. A historic travelogue looking back at the last century through significant events of each decade. Some of the broad historic points are obvious but its the small little known details and stories associated with them that makes this book come to life and Maconie's descriptions of the places he visits associated with the historic facts.
  • Options
    doublefourdoublefour Posts: 6,022
    Forum Member
    Just Finished Heretic by Bernard Cornwell, the last in the Grail Quest trilogy. I can't recommend these books highly enough, a superb historical read. I am reading Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman next.
  • Options
    Terrence ChantTerrence Chant Posts: 1,334,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Family & Other Animals - Clare Balding
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thatcher's Britain: The Politics and Social Upheaval of the 1980s - Richard Vinen
  • Options
    MuzskiMuzski Posts: 809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Hit - David Baldacci

Bit disappointed and not entirely sure why he bothered with the characters fromt the previous book the Innocent, seemed a bit forced and unnecessary to include them.
  • Options
    Purple.Purple. Posts: 4,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A Gathering Storm by Rachel Hore.
  • Options
    billiesmithbilliesmith Posts: 11,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Into The Darkest Corner by Elizabeth Haynes - whilst she has an easy writing/reading style not enjoying it as much as Human Remains, which is the only other of hers I have read.
  • Options
    hornbeamhornbeam Posts: 9,483
    Forum Member
    Why Be Happy When You Can Be Normal - Jeanette Winterson
  • Options
    trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    House Rules - Chloe Neill. It's the 7th book in her highly enjoyable Chicagoland Vampires series.
  • Options
    Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've started on two new books.

I'm listening to Nostromo by Joseph Conrad. I studied this book for English A level many years ago and absolutely hated it. I thought that I'd give it another try to see whether my opinion has mellowed over the years. I've only listened to about 45 minutes so far. It sounds vaguely familiar but the memories aren't exactly coming flooding back. Only another 18 hours to listen to!

My Kindle book is She Rises by Kate Worsley. It's set in Harwich c.1740 and tells the stories of Louise and Luke. Louise is a former dairymaid who has been plucked from her old life on the farm and has been promoted to the dizzy heights of lady's maid.
    Luke wakes up onboard ship to discover that he's been press ganged into the navy.

It's the author's first book and has some good reviews. Apparently the two stories come together as the book goes on and there's an unexpected twist. I downloaded the free sample chapter and think that I may have spotted a clue, so am now reading the rest of the book to see if I'm right!
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    The Paperboy by Peter Dexter is my fiction. It's fabulous so far- very rooted in the traditions of Gothic Southern literature but with a modern twist.

My non-fiction is Notes From A Big Country by Bill Bryson- essentially a collection of (very funny) essays about the nuances of American life.

I've just purchased Midnight In The Garden of Good & Evil and can't wait to get started on that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tinished Hanif Kureishi's "The Buddah of Suburbia". I wanted to read this for a long time and it was good, Funny,surreal and larger than life. The only gripe I have is that the parts of the book dealing with the family members were much more engaging than the parts relating to the protagonist and his theatrical chums.
  • Options
    eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Girl Missing by Tess Gerritsen
  • Options
    Cellar_DoorCellar_Door Posts: 2,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm just about to start 'the hundred year old man who climbed out of the window'. Some mixed reviews that I've seen, but I'm hopeful.