Can rabbits catch hantavirus?

chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have two rabbits outside and there's a mouse close by that likes to try pinch their through the bars of their hutch. Can they catch hantavirus and get ill from this mouse?

Comments

• xdowxdow Posts: 2,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rabbits aren;t known to carry hantaviruses, but the mouse could be carrying other infections/parasites hazardous to your rabbits, most notably, mites, lice or fleas.

i wouldn't worry too much unless it's a new thing for this mouse to be around your rabbits, though.
    i've found mouse droppings in one of my rabbits hutches before how and she's suffered no ill health as a result.

i've also had to re-secure my hay storage shed a few times due to finding mice in it, i don;t mind them all that much though, as having mice around shows that there are few rats in the area, which are a bigger worry in my book as they can and will attack domestic pets.
  • chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you,just was worried as i know it can kill humans
  • NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't be worried about the occasional mouse - and let's face it, they would encounter plenty in the wild - but do make sure the rabbits are vaccinated at least annually against myxi and annually against VHD - both of which are far more likely to be a problem for an outdoor rabbit.