Options

Foxie Corbyn's First Policy - Withdraw from the EU

DotheboyshallDotheboyshall Posts: 40,583
Forum Member
Well as everyone else is making up policies...

...his second is the compulsory eating of hamsters and guinea pigs on Thursdays

Comments

• Options
    OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I the only one beginning to feel slightly uneasy by Tory party mouth pieces who seem to be constantly repeating "Labour now represents a very serious threat to the security of this nation" scaremongering BS, and see it as a thinly veiled threat?

I mean, how far away from "in the interests of national security we have had no choice other than to suspend democracy, and please don't be too alarmed by the tanks on the streets" are we, when government ministers start accusing the DEMOCRATIC opposition of being "a serious threat to national security"?

anyone else getting a slight 'puckering' feeling?
  • Options
    FruityLoopyFruityLoopy Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am I the only one beginning to feel slightly uneasy by Tory party mouth pieces who seem to be constantly repeating "Labour now represents a very serious threat to the security of this nation" scaremongering BS, and see it as a thinly veiled threat?

I mean, how far away from "in the interests of national security we have had no choice other than to suspend democracy, and please don't be too alarmed by the tanks on the streets" are we, when government ministers start accusing the DEMOCRATIC opposition of being "a serious threat to national security"?

It will be the same message for the next five years if Corbyn managed to last that long.

People will be sick of hearing it by then so will be taking no notice. Even more so when Corbyn actually proves he is no threat. He has five years to win the public over. That's a long time. All these Tory attacks have come too early. They will be exhausted out come 2020.
  • Options
    NoughtiesMusicNoughtiesMusic Posts: 15,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It will be the same message for the next five years if Corbyn managed to last that long.

People will be sick of hearing it by then so will be taking no notice. Even more so when Corbyn actually proves he is no threat. He has five years to win the public over. That's a long time. All these Tory attacks have come too early. They will be exhausted out come 2020.

But all those comments on Labour's economic record stuck with the voters.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Once a sitting government starts accusing the opposition of "posing a very serious threat to national security" then it opens the door to all sorts of possibilities, and I would put absolutely NOTHING past the Tories, absolutely nothing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But all those comments on Labour's economic record stuck with the voters.

And why was that?

Because Miliband didn't defend it. Burnham said it best, if anyone brought up the economy on the doorstep they were told to shut the conversation down.

Corbyn on the other hand will explain his stance and his reasons for it. That's why people like him. He will not avoid a question no matter how difficult so the Tories can throw all this at him and he will answer back. Not run away.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Once a sitting government starts accusing the opposition of "posing a very serious threat to national security" then it opens the door to all sorts of possibilities, and I would put absolutely NOTHING past the Tories, absolutely nothing.

If the Tories start peaching too loud about security it will be them who end up looking loony. People might actually start to then see past their bullshit.
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The Tory response today has been a mistake imo. Fallons statement of doom lacks any creativity and for some reason is just echoed over and over (Priti Patel came across ridiculously robotic earlier just saying the same thing three times). Poor.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    The Tory response today has been a mistake imo. Fallons statement of doom lacks any creativity and for some reason is just echoed over and over (Priti Patel came across ridiculously robotic earlier just saying the same thing three times). Poor.

I understand what you are saying and agree, but it's the CONSTANT use over and over again by several members of the government of the line,
    "Labour now represents a very serious threat to the security of this nation"
    that is making me feel very uncomfortable indeed and is setting off the faintest of alarm bells, how many tin pot dictatorships start with almost identical comments being used?
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And why was that?

Because Miliband didn't defend it. Burnham said it best, if anyone brought up the economy on the doorstep they were told to shut the conversation down.

Corbyn on the other hand will explain his stance and his reasons for it. That's why people like him. He will not avoid a question no matter how difficult so the Tories can throw all this at him and he will answer back. Not run away.

Well there is some doubt he will turn up at PMQ's, if he doesn't that will be truly be avoiding the question.

Its a curious day though. I am transported in my mind back to the early eighties watching the Labour conferences(brilliant viewing). Endless leftish activists coming up to the microphone, passionately banging on about the Tories and "getting them out" which they never did until a virtual Tory, Tony Blair got them in. In fact Foot, Kinnock, Smith and Blair(in their differing ways) spent 15 years driving out sections of the party, some of whom no doubt will have re-joined(ok cant be totally certain of that I guess) and be jumping up and down with glee today.
  • Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well as everyone else is making up policies...

...his second is the compulsory eating of hamsters and guinea pigs on Thursdays

:D:D:D

Hang on...what about the gerbils :confused:
  • Options
    Cheetah666Cheetah666 Posts: 16,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's quite a sinister little phrase to use about the opposition.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They came across just like Burnham, Cooper & what's her name - no individuality, identikit people spouting mindless platitudes
  • Options
    Forum Member
    :D:D:D

Hang on...what about the gerbils :confused:
    What do you have against gerbils?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well there is some doubt he will turn up at PMQ's, if he doesn't that will be truly be avoiding the question.

Its a curious day though. I am transported in my mind back to the early eighties watching the Labour conferences(brilliant viewing). Endless leftish activists coming up to the microphone, passionately banging on about the Tories and "getting them out" which they never did until a virtual Tory, Tony Blair got them in. In fact Foot, Kinnock, Smith and Blair(in their differing ways) spent 15 years driving out sections of the party, some of whom no doubt will have re-joined(ok cant be totally certain of that I guess) and be jumping up and down with glee today.

The PMQs thing is an odd one but and I say this through gritted teeth, Thatcher was a superb politician who was able to make mincemeat of Labour. No one in the Tories right now has that. So its a waste of time comparing. We are in a new age.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I understand what you are saying and agree, but it's the CONSTANT use over and over again by several members of the government of the line,
    "Labour now represents a very serious threat to the security of this nation"
    that is making me feel very uncomfortable indeed and is setting off the faintest of alarm bells, how many tin pot dictatorships start with almost identical comments being used?

Yeah, it's not the kind of wording that has... well, let's just say it doesn't have a good history.
  • Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It won't appeal to the left but it's a key issue for a right leaning person. Tories are only interested in these folks. Keeps folks who care about this within their camp or UKIP.
  • Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheetah666 wrote: »
    That's quite a sinister little phrase to use about the opposition.

Their leader has probably seen the security service files ;-) As will Tony and Gordon hence their reaction to Corbyn.
  • Options
    Cheetah666Cheetah666 Posts: 16,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aurora13 wrote: »
    Their leader has probably seen the security service files ;-) As will Tony and Gordon hence their reaction to Corbyn.

Then I guess it would be wise for Corbyn not to take up hill walking. He might have a "heart attack."
  • Options
    NoughtiesMusicNoughtiesMusic Posts: 15,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I still don't understand how Priti Patel became a minister. There is so much more talent in the 2010 Tory intake than her. Her Question Time appearance in 2011 was a disaster, her subsequent media appearance have been crap and she drones on and on like a robot. She's like a throwback of the late 90s/early 00s Tory party during its years in the wilderness.

Even her predecessor as Employment Minister, Esther McVey, was more engaging.
  • Options
    JayyKJayyK Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    I still don't understand how Priti Patel became a minister. There is so much more talent in the 2010 Tory intake than her. Her Question Time appearances in 2011 was a disaster, her subsequent media appearance have been crap and she drones on and on like a robot. She's like a throwback of the late 90s/early 00s Tory party during its years in the wilderness.

Even her predecessor as Employment Minister, Esther McVey, was more engaging.

She is window dressing in the same way McVey was.

Its really sexiest tbh but that's all she is there for.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Then I guess it would be wise for Corbyn not to take up hill walking. He might have a "heart attack."

He cycles in London, a lorry accident is more likely
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    Yeah, it's not the kind of wording that has... well, let's just say it doesn't have a good history.

It certainly got my attention, and not in a good way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

i already strongly advised against any late night drives through underpasses a couple of day ago,
    ;-)
  • Options
    BlairdennonBlairdennon Posts: 14,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

THis may surprise you but I have to agree. The same arguments were used in 1964 and to a lesser extent during Tony Benn's deputy leadership attempt and Michael Foot's election to leader.
    Democracy is routinely for better or worse and most often compromise.
  • Options
    ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They've already started - I received an email from The Ministry of Trut...I mean Tory central office earlier saying "Labour's new leader is a threat to Our National Security, Our Economic Security and Your Family's Security". I'm no Corbyn fan or Labour supporter, but the Tories are obviously running scared and worried, why else would they keep telling us bad Corbyn is?