For the good of Mankind - Should religion be wiped out?

OvertheUnderOvertheUnder Posts: 4,764
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Religion in it's many forms is toxic on a social, political and human level. Look at how many wars have been started and how many have been slaughtered in the name of some various all seeing entity controlling our every moment.

Just think why is there is so much war and death in the middle east? Just look at the various genocides perpetrated by men and women in the name of god?

Comments

• wampa1wampa1 Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For the good of mankind, mankind should be wiped out.
  • AliU2maniacAliU2maniac Posts: 1,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But I'd make one exception.
  • VulpesVulpes Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wars are about money, not religion.
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    Sure, but just let me finish my tea first.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. Extremism should be wiped out.....but, by doing so....well, that's kinda extreme, right?
  • tenofspadestenofspades Posts: 12,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure where I stand on this- sometimes religions have bonding traditions.
    But on the other hand some parts of religion is mental illness. For instance Jehovah's Witnesses and their no blood transfusions. That's being guided by a mental delusion.
    And the same with a previous Pope telling people to not wear condoms. More costly mental illness.
    And the worst of all when a person of a religion gets into conflict over this mental delusion.

I grew up with a religious upbringing- so I can see both sides. But I think it would be good if more and more people embraced reality. It's just not sane, to impose superstitions onto people.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    They should all be told Dude Love but they are just prickly like a Cactus Jack and think your taking the Mick.
  • DebrajoanDebrajoan Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Religion be wiped out?
    Good luck with that.
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Through rational debate, science and truth.
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is far more probable that religion will eventually wipe out the human race than the other way around.

It only takes one fanatic (of whatever sky-fairy) to get their finger on a nuclear button and mankind could be toast.
  • AnnieBakerAnnieBaker Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think we live in one of the most advanced societies in the world where religion is no longer required to live in harmony and peace. Humankind is evolving very rapidly and I do think we are the leaders in this regard.
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, but through secularising the education system and teaching things like evolution it will fade away organically.
  • Bar Bar JinksBar Bar Jinks Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    I would like to see it gone.

We could start by slapping an 18+ certificate on it so children don't get brainwashed by their parents or schools. Children should never be exposed to these backward "holy books" and the vile nastiness that their pages contain.
  • droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Religion in it's many forms is toxic on a social, political and human level. Look at how many wars have been started and how many have been slaughtered in the name of some various all seeing entity controlling our every moment.

Just think why is there is so much war and death in the middle east? Just look at the various genocides perpetrated by men and women in the name of god?

I'm struggling to think of any genocide perpetrated by a woman - religious or not. Can you give an example?
  • Bar Bar JinksBar Bar Jinks Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    I'm struggling to think of any genocide perpetrated by a woman - religious or not. Can you give an example?

Rwandan women and the SS Helferinnen in WWII.
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not right to deal with oppression and violence by your own oppression and violence

http://victimsofcommunism.org/the-war-on-religion/
  • droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rwandan women and the SS Helferinnen in WWII.

Two good examples:
    "We had to kill the enemy," says one of the women inmates, while another describes how some Tutsi women were sliced open and had their intestines removed by killers "looking for where the foundation of their beauty lay."

Tutsi women, "tall and soft-skinned", were accused of seducing the husbands of Hutu women, so they "grabbed the chance to take revenge," a prisoner said.

"People expect men to be the ones involved in those massacres," says Immaculee, admitting that she considered killing her half-Tutsi son Jerome to "practice".

She recalls participating in a live burial of Tutsi children lured into a hole in the ground with a cake, and killing an old woman after dragging her out of a hospital bed.

link

Lnk to book review about SS Helferinnen

..... and, in the context of this thread, interesting to note that neither would have been prevented by the eradication of religion.

I guess once Jews were exterminated then there would be less need for the Jewish genocide. Perhaps our OP would consider that a valid approach to the eradication of religion. The greater good and all that.
  • oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank unspecified deities, I'm an atheist.
  • GortGort Posts: 7,466
    Forum Member
    Wiping out seems a bit loaded a term, but I do think that the world would be a better place without it. Still, don't hold your breath for its demise.
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Presumably those who want it wiped out would be at the front of the queue to replace all the thousands of religion-based volunteers who man the Food Banks and other charities all over the UK.
    How would that happen, exactly?
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How would you wipe it out?

I agree that humankind would be better off without religion, but I'm not sure how you'd get rid of it, to be honest.
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    alan29 wrote: »
    Presumably those who want it wiped out would be at the front of the queue to replace all the thousands of religion-based volunteers who man the Food Banks and other charities all over the UK.
    How would that happen, exactly?

Get non-religion-based volunteers. Religion doesn't have the monopoly on human kindness you know.
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »
    Get non-religion-based volunteers. Religion doesn't have the monopoly on human kindness you know.

Thats not what I said. I asked how it would happen.
  • fastzombiefastzombie Posts: 10,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any combination of the words 'for the good of mankind' and 'wiped out' doesn't usually bode well.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fastzombie wrote: »
    Any combination of the words 'for the good of mankind' and 'wiped out' doesn't usually bode well.

^this^