Options

Would you share with others during food shortages?

AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
Forum Member
http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2108137

In this thread the idea of rationing is raised and someone said about if things were bad we'd all have a responsibility to share and make sure no one goes without. Assuming you maybe had enough to last you several months, would you share with others who had run out of essential things like food? Would you have a different answer if it was a short term shortage like a week or if no one knew how long it was going to last for?

Comments

• Options
    cas1977cas1977 Posts: 6,399
    Forum Member
    That is a very good topic! Although I imagine that what ever answer everyone gives, is invalid, because until the time when one is so hungry, you could sell your body for a slice of bread, then I doubt anyone of us could truly know what we'd do in that situation..

However.....in the spirit of rambling anonymously......

It depends on your personal circumstances, and it depends on if your neighbour has children or not. Esp babies.

The most vulnerable would have to be helped first. I'd prefer to help another woman carrying children than I would, if it were a young strong man only having to fend for himself.

I think people would be more willing to help in the short term, but if it were to go long term, then I think that realistically, you'd have to pull the shutters up and look after your own first.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It depends how serious the shortage was. I'd always share with friends/family if I could and would for example look out for a vulnerable elderly neighbour. If it were a serious lasting life or death famine situation, I'd do anything it took to protect my loved ones.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only if they shared with me first.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they were pretty I would share, if they were fat they can live off that.
  • Options
    David_HillDavid_Hill Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd share with neighbours and friends and little kids or babies but at some point you'd have to fend for yourself or die.
  • Options
    SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, but I would be insanely careful with what food I had to ensure my son had enough.
  • Options
    MargMckMargMck Posts: 24,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Axtol wrote: »
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2108137

In this thread the idea of rationing is raised and someone said about if things were bad we'd all have a responsibility to share and make sure no one goes without. Assuming you maybe had enough to last you several months, would you share with others who had run out of essential things like food? Would you have a different answer if it was a short term shortage like a week or if no one knew how long it was going to last for?

Good question. A lot would depend on the nature of the emergency, and how long. but I know I would get cross with people who were wasteful with food, finicky or greedy.
    It would make sense to share in small communities, pooling food, but a couple of weeks in to a long term shortage I would find it hard to admit extra members who had quickly eaten their supply and now had nothing.
    A wise group would put two nannas who grew up in or just after the 2nd world war in charge of the food.
    They know what needs to be eaten first, what will last and how to make things stretch while filling you up. If I could find a group where my big bags of potatoes, rice and pasta could be pooled this way I'd be happy to share. A group containing a dedicated forager who knows what can be eaten from the wild would be ideal.
    Then there might well be more than enough to also feed some waifs and strays (particularly children) who had been less sensible with their own food.
  • Options
    Aslan52Aslan52 Posts: 2,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would depend on the situation.

In a "mundane" emergency such as a flood or power-cut I'd assume that help was due to arrive and I'd do whatever I could to help as many people as I could.
    In a more extreme (end-of-the-world) situation I'm afraid I'd be very selective about helping only people who I thought might be capable of returning the favour.
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would depend entirely on whether sharing would put myself at risk.
  • Options
    Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 26,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No.

If I had been careful and rationed myself so that what I did have was planned to last several months. Then along comes some waster who has not been so careful and got themselves out of food too quickly and demands that I give up my planned store so they can continue their binge? No, move on, sorry, you can't expect to be able to eat all your own food and then eat all of everybody else's food too.
  • Options
    wampa1wampa1 Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cas1977 wrote: »
    It depends on your personal circumstances, and it depends on if your neighbour has children or not. Esp babies.
    Eat the kids, good idea.
  • Options
    OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,510
    Forum Member
    If anyone comes near my food when I'm eating, they get my fork in the back of their hand.
    So, no.
  • Options
    housegirlhousegirl Posts: 6,017
    Forum Member
    Yes I would we do grow some of our own, and some times there is more than we need so do give it to an older lady, thing like potatoes, beetroot, lettuce I also make her some soup in winter
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    yes of course.
  • Options
    NodgerNodger Posts: 6,668
    Forum Member
    cas1977 wrote: »
    That is a very good topic! Although I imagine that what ever answer everyone gives, is invalid, because until the time when one is so hungry, you could sell your body for a slice of bread, then I doubt anyone of us could truly know what we'd do in that situation.

This^^

Totally depends on the nature of the shortage and likely duration. There's also the issue of 'trusting in the faith' of others intentions. You've only got to look at a situation such as the New Orleans flooding to see how quickly many will descend into anarchy and me, me, me, me, me mentality.
  • Options
    SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wampa1 wrote: »
    Eat the kids, good idea.

Apparently babies do taste the best.
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Schmiznurf wrote: »
    Apparently babies do taste the best.

Well they'd be the most tender like veal or lamb but I'd expect them to lack flavour like veal versus beef or lamb versus mutton.

Far better to give them a few years to mature then cook slowly :D

Of course this is assuming a zombie apocalypse scenario rather than say delivery driver stike
  • Options
    AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    Nodger wrote: »
    This^^

Totally depends on the nature of the shortage and likely duration. There's also the issue of 'trusting in the faith' of others intentions. You've only got to look at a situation such as the New Orleans flooding to see how quickly many will descend into anarchy and me, me, me, me, me mentality.

Oh yes I saw a repeat of a documentary about that some time ago it was a bit scary. I'm in the "Not sharing" camp. My concern would be that if we get a crisis that lasts about a month, and I've got enough stockpiled to last a month but the neighbhours only have enough for a few days each then the unfortunately truth is that I can't and won't do anything to help them because if I share, then I'll be starving to at the end of the month whereas if I keep it to myself I'll have a decent chance of surviving. Maybe I'd make exceptions if others had things that I wanted and it would be more like bartering.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Axtol wrote: »
    Oh yes I saw a repeat of a documentary about that some time ago it was a bit scary. I'm in the "Not sharing" camp. My concern would be that if we get a crisis that lasts about a month, and I've got enough stockpiled to last a month but the neighbhours only have enough for a few days each then the unfortunately truth is that I can't and won't do anything to help them because if I share, then I'll be starving to at the end of the month whereas if I keep it to myself I'll have a decent chance of surviving. Maybe I'd make exceptions if others had things that I wanted and it would be more like bartering.

Trouble is, you can stockpile twenty years worth, as soon as the have not's are hungry there will be people who will kill you for you a can of beans. I know we are talking about a 'hypothetical' scenario, but I don't think the general populous realize just how much we operate on a 'just in time' supply chain basis. Shops only carry just enough stock to keep them going until the next delivery (couple of days) and the supply is based on the data of the peaceful and calm society we live in. Any disruption to the norm, panic buying immediately starts and the shelves are empty, we have seen that sort of thing happen regularly (little bit of snow for example). Furthermore, modern society is a very short period of time away from chaos. Couple of days without power, fuel or food is all it takes for some to loose all sense humanity. As soon as the lawless (looters and violent types) start, their numbers swell with the 'if their doing it' group / mob mentality.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,271
    Forum Member
    The neighbours in my street? LOL No.
  • Options
    Ben_CoplandBen_Copland Posts: 4,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose your survival instincts would kick in and a lot of those, now saying they would gladly, would quickly change their minds. If sharing meant that it knocked 2 months worth off your supplies, you'd be less inclined to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There's a very good film without all the Hollywood BS regarding 'post apocalyptic' scenarios, called, "The Road". Worth a watch.
  • Options
    Ben_CoplandBen_Copland Posts: 4,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going to watch that as soon as I get home from work, everything else can wait!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm going to watch that as soon as I get home from work, everything else can wait!

Please do report back with what you thought of it.
  • Options
    cas1977cas1977 Posts: 6,399
    Forum Member
    wampa1 wrote: »
    Eat the kids, good idea.
    It did sound like I was suggesting that didn't it? :o