BBC Radio 1's Big Weekend

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 696
Forum Member
✭✭
first time i've posted on this forum hehe....
so basically here goes.
line up looks good, me and a friend want to go but we ain't got tickets. ah well lol. she wants to travel up for photos hehe :D

anyone going??

Comments

• Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no im not going
  • kutoxkutox Posts: 16,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not me but I know that some people on these boards are going
  • ComputerComputer Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've made a couple of playlists to get you in the mood (and to help you find acts you might not have heard before). (As you'd expect there's a couple of acts from the Introducing stage missing).

Saturday
    http://open.spotify.com/user/computer/playlist/1FLI0HFDJJHzcwCMUeTWw7

Sunday
    http://open.spotify.com/user/computer/playlist/2A0ltADAIEEOaric1XaiJJ
  • -Jodie--Jodie- Posts: 1,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope. Not going.
    Too far north.
    & the line-up is tragic.
    Not my thing.

One exception, Alicia Keys.
    But I've seen her live anyway.

But have fun anyone that's going.
  • SatnavvySatnavvy Posts: 5,211
    Forum Member
    -Jodie- wrote: »
    Nope. Not going.
    Too far north.
    & the line-up is tragic.
    Not my thing.

One exception, Alicia Keys.
    But I've seen her live anyway.

But have fun anyone that's going.

Line up is like an old Radio 1 Roadshow. Pop music for the masses - not including Pendulum of course
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would I be right in thinking that Radio 1 isn't the most popular station for its demographic in Bangor?

I seem to recall that being cited as the Big Weekend's raison d'être -- to go to places where commercial radio is more popular than Radio 1.
  • ComputerComputer Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark. wrote: »
    Would I be right in thinking that Radio 1 isn't the most popular station for its demographic in Bangor?

I seem to recall that being cited as the Big Weekend's raison d'être -- to go to places where commercial radio is more popular than Radio 1.

Well, the official criteria is somewhere 'not on the touring circuit' but you may well be right. It was fairly popular amongst my friends and family before hand though, but it has obviously seen a massive rise in popularity since announcing the event.

They seem to be very keen to push 1xtra this year though, with the Outdoor stage being headlined by 1xtra DJ's rather than the usual dance DJ's. I think it has the potential to be quite popular over here. D'n'B nights do quite well in Bangor and 'urban' music is dominating the charts atm.
  • BikoBiko Posts: 2,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This lineup is by far the worst I've seen for any festival this year.. The years before had fairly decent lineups aswell..
  • daniellehdanielleh Posts: 7,852
    Forum Member
    Not a great line-up to be fair, there are a few that I would love to see though (Alicia Keys, MGMT, Ellie Goulding, Marina, Florence) but overall not great. Have fun anyone who's going!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just listening to Cheryl Cole ruin her set, right now shes doing Fireflies. I dont mind her recorded music but live she just ruins it. You can view it live on the website or its repeated tonight on BBC3.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,262
    Forum Member
    Radio 1 is such a bunch of bollocks.

They have MGMT, Vampire Weekend, You Me At Six, Plan B & Kids In Glass Houses on the In New Music We Trust stage, yet have Florence, Cheryl Cole, Justine Bieber, Ke$ha, JLS, Jason Derulo and Pixie Lott on the Main Stage.

i'm a fan of some of the artists I've just listed on both stages, but really they should be swapped around. The ones on the INMWT stage have been around far longer and have had more records and sold more records than the artists on the main stage.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MJ_lives wrote: »
    Radio 1 is such a bunch of bollocks.

They have MGMT, Vampire Weekend, You Me At Six, Plan B & Kids In Glass Houses on the In New Music We Trust stage, yet have Florence, Cheryl Cole, Justine Bieber, Ke$ha, JLS, Jason Derulo and Pixie Lott on the Main Stage.

i'm a fan of some of the artists I've just listed on both stages, but really they should be swapped around. The ones on the INMWT stage have been around far longer and have had more records and sold more records than the artists on the main stage.

I know what you mean, but the INMWT Stage is for artists specifically supported by Radio 1, if you get what I mean. They wouldn't have people like JLS or Justin Bieber on it. It's more for the likes of Plan B, Vampire Weekend, Ellie Goulding etc.

Florence & The Machine was on the INMWT Stage last year but I guess because of her huge success over the last year she got 'promoted' to the main stage this year. Having said all that I am amazed Faithless are on the INMWT Stage instead of the Main Stage.
  • HaydenHayden Posts: 32,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kutox wrote: »
    I know what you mean, but the INMWT Stage is for artists specifically supported by Radio 1, if you get what I mean. They wouldn't have people like JLS or Justin Bieber on it. It's more for the likes of Plan B, Vampire Weekend, Ellie Goulding etc.

Florence & The Machine was on the INMWT Stage last year but I guess because of her huge success over the last year she got 'promoted' to the main stage this year. Having said all that I am amazed Faithless are on the INMWT Stage instead of the Main Stage.

Faithless have been going for over 15 years.
    Radio 1 as exemplified by the atrocious Fearne Cotton are completely clueless.
    Forum Member

Hmm, but the likes of MGMT and Vampire Weekend and Faithless would sell many records without Fearne Cotton saying, "This is AMAZING, and I've only ever heard Kids/A-Punk/Insomnia, I'll pretend I've been listening to them BEFORE they made it big."

Radio 1 are annoying. I like Absolute radio :D
  • rachelgatarachelgata Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmm, but the likes of MGMT and Vampire Weekend and Faithless would sell many records without Fearne Cotton saying, "This is AMAZING, and I've only ever heard Kids/A-Punk/Insomnia, I'll pretend I've been listening to them BEFORE they made it big."

So true.

I'm just about to watch/listen to MGMT on the live webcam stream. Pretty rubbish line-up otherwise. In my humble opinion :D.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Agree about Fearne Cotton - I gave up on listening to her show altogether months ago.

But anyway, I don't think groups like MGMT and Vampire Weekend would be as successful here in the UK without Radio 1's support - let's face it, most commercial radio would never take a chance on anything even slightly different to the norm. That's up for debate, but either way, you see what I meant about the In New Music We Trust Stage?
    Forum Member
    Agree about Fearne Cotton - I gave up on listening to her show altogether months ago.

But anyway, I don't think groups like MGMT and Vampire Weekend would be as successful here in the UK without Radio 1's support - let's face it, most commercial radio would never take a chance on anything even slightly different to the norm. That's up for debate, but either way, you see what I meant about the In New Music We Trust Stage?

Oh, no, I do understand.

I do think it would have been kinder of Radio 1 to leave vampire Weekend of their playlist. It is nay good for the ears!!
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,981
    Forum Member
    I wanted tickets just to see paramore, couldn't get them though. also I wouldn't have been able to get there. are BBCthree showing it all live or only certain acts? I hope they show paramore's set tomorrow.
  • frenchie21frenchie21 Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hey there guys, Listen I missed Cheryl Cole's set and I am out at the mo, Where can I watch her set again please?

Thanks for your help in advance!
  • spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC3 are showing highlights. It looks like the BBC are uploading the full sets online though
  • spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    frenchie21 wrote: »
    Hey there guys, Listen I missed Cheryl Cole's set and I am out at the mo, Where can I watch her set again please?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Check here tomorrow: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/bigweekend/2010/artists/cherylcole/

Or here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00sl1zz - but this isn't her whole set
  • frenchie21frenchie21 Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spkx wrote: »

Thank you so much!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Justin Beiber's voice has finally broke, about time he's only 16!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    Computer wrote: »
    Well, the official criteria is somewhere 'not on the touring circuit...

Which is a load of crap given that they've been to Birmingham and Greater London since September 2004... :rolleyes:

Can anybody shed more light on BBC Three's lack of a full set from Alicia Keys? Reggie Yates mentioned something about a contractual reason, but surely a festival for a specific broadcaster should insist on all live music being available to said broadcatser to distribute freely?? :eek: :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,259
    Forum Member
    Looking forward to Flo. :D