Lost question re: Sky's technical difficulties

cheekyanguscheekyangus Posts: 1,149
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I haven't watched the finale of Lost yet but did tape the 5am transmission.

Given the Digital Spy article about Sky's technical problem can anyone tell me how much of the show was missed and whether it spoiled it.

I'm tempted to wait till Tuesday's scheduled reshowing at 9pm if it's very bad.

Thanks in advance :).

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 356
    Forum Member
    About 1 second!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    none...well about 3-4 seconds of a short montage of the characters with music playing over the top
  • billlythekidbilllythekid Posts: 5,080
    Forum Member
    theres nothing missing its just tech difficulties at the start for about 5 seconds then it starts :)
  • _radioamerica_radioamerica Posts: 4,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I heard the collective groan around the country haha. But yeah it was only a second or so.
  • Victim Of FateVictim Of Fate Posts: 5,157
    Forum Member
    About 2 seconds of breakdown slide and a couple more seconds of audio/video sync problems later on. But I suppose it depends on how eager you are to watch it, because there probably won't be any issues in the 9pm.
  • MansunMansun Posts: 2,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder how many people were swearing at their TVs when the picture went blank and that caption about technical difficulties came up. I know I was! :D
  • cheekyanguscheekyangus Posts: 1,149
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was quick!

Thanks everyone! :D

That doesn't sound like it'll bother me.
  • Victim Of FateVictim Of Fate Posts: 5,157
    Forum Member
    Mansun wrote: »
    I wonder how many people were swearing at their TVs when the picture went blank and that caption about technical difficulties came up. I know I was! :D

I know, I was like "Oh my God, I don't f***ing believe it, what a bunch of f***ing - oh, okay."
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I though Sky were taking the mick and we're going to get revenge on those of us in the UK who have obtained episodes by other means than subscribing to them in the past!;)
    I also thought for a moment that Sky hadn't told ABC about the plans for a simulcast and had just hooked themselves up to a Justin TV feed:D;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 375
    Forum Member
    I found it absolutely hilarious tbh. This big event of a historic simulcast and what do we get 'technical fault' and lift muzak.

Genius. I think someone with a sense of humour was at work there.
  • CharentonCharenton Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No subtitles either.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 375
    Forum Member
    Charenton wrote: »
    No subtitles either.

Because they were broadcasting a live American broadcast. They hadn't put in subs of their own yet.
  • wuffleswuffles Posts: 45,760
    Forum Member
    I haven't seen it yet because my \*&%%£ Sky+ box made a pigs ear of things! I'll have to either stay up and watch it tomorrow night or wait until Friday.

It's going to be a struggle staying away from those spoiler threads...
  • rufnek2k6rufnek2k6 Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How were the ad breaks in the sky broadcast then if they were streaming the american channel?
    I was watching the slightly earlier ABC stream and there were ads every 5-10 mins.
  • Aaron_ScotlandAaron_Scotland Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member
    rufnek2k6 wrote: »
    How were the ad breaks in the sky broadcast then if they were streaming the american channel?
    I was watching the slightly earlier ABC stream and there were ads every 5-10 mins.

I think every time the Americans had an ad break we didn't, They showed a 'Your watching this live from the US' caption for 5-10 seconds.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think every time the Americans had an ad break we didn't, They showed a 'Your watching this live from the US' caption for 5-10 seconds.

There were still alot of ad breaks though, way more than you would usually get.
  • supersleuthsupersleuth Posts: 470
    Forum Member
    I have the finale on my SKY+, is it worth watching or did the glitch ruin it? Should I wait until it repeats tomorrow night?

Please don't spoil what happens....

Thanks
  • afcbfanafcbfan Posts: 7,158
    Forum Member
    I think you'll have missed 15 seconds or so of 'Previously on Lost' / beginning of the episode. No biggie.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    watch it, its fine
  • DrPepperDrPepper Posts: 2,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glitch lasted about 2 seconds. Made no difference to me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    I have the finale on my SKY+, is it worth watching or did the glitch ruin it? Should I wait until it repeats tomorrow night?

Please don't spoil what happens....

Thanks

I recorded the HD broadcast and it recorded fine with no warning of a technical fault. I have an approx 45 minutes to go and the only tech fault so far is literally at the very very beginning. You have the recap it switches to You're Watching LostLive from the US then it goes into Temperoray Fault which lasts about 20 seconds. it's been fine since.
    That You're watching Lost Live from the US pops up occasionally but not enough to affect the viewing. each time maybe 5 seconds max. I think it's where links for adverts are.
    For some reason it looks like it's going to break. You get that sign and it goes immediately into Lost again. You watch 5 minutes of sometimes longer and then that ssign comes up again and you are still watching the show.
    There are proper advert breaks but not loads.
    To me it looks like they have the show themselves and they switch to their copies when there are breaks in the US and then back to a live feed(?) when they return.
    As I say I didn't get any part record or tech fault warning when i went to it via the planner. If you did then you may have a problem i didn't get.
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The "You're Watching Live" message appears at the point of some of the scheduled commercial breaks - which is a good sign that it's not exactly live as we're getting less commercial breaks.

It *was* a simultaneous broadcast though in the sense that we got to the end about the same time as the States did.
  • clitheroe1clitheroe1 Posts: 4,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We didn't miss any of the show, the technical fault was purely a screen filler while in the US there was a short ad breaks which they usually have after the "previously on Lost" recap. Also the Sky ad breaks were slightly shorter than those used by ABC in the US which is was occasionally we got a caption says "You are watching Lost live from the US" to fill in the short gaps.
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got to admit had a major panic when the technical fault appeared at 5am today.