Options

Items sent last Tuesday from Amazon not arrived.

Comments

• Options
    Constant PMTConstant PMT Posts: 3,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All Amazon (or the various independent traders and companies who trade via Amazon) are required to do is send the items out on time. After that, there's not a lot they can once they're in the post. Why are the retailers getting blamed for unavoidable failures of the postal service caused by factors beyond their control? We've had a spell of very bad weather disrupting deliveries at a time of year when the mail is very heavy anyway due to Christmas. How is this anyone's fault?

Um, I thought this thread was about the Amazon problem at the moment, it's not Royal mail.
    Apparently it's a system problem there & they have cocked up big time. So people are saying on farcebook anyway.
    Bit of a coincidence if it's not true, what with this thread.
  • Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure that your many sympathetic comments regarding late deliveries are greatly appreciated by Amazon customers on this thread :rolleyes:

As it happens, I'm an Amazon customer myself and I'm waiting for a Christmas present which I'm now fairly sure has been delayed and woin't arrive on time. Difference is, I can appreciate the logistical problems involved right now, so I see no point in trying to attach blame for it when it's clearly beyond anyone's control. I'll give it until tomorrow, then go into town and look for an alternative gift.
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    I think you've rather missed the point... And that is?I'm sure they will be devastated to lose your custom...:rolleyes:

You are quite rude so I shall not reply to you anymore.
  • Options
    toastietoastie Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All this will not put me off using Amazon again, I don't think this is their fault as I'm also waiting for something from Play (been longer than Amazon as it happens)
    I know these things can't be helped but it might have been nice if they had sent round an email saying that there is a backlog and they apologise, etc.
    Just one of those things I suppose, if they don't arrive then so be it, somebody will have a new year present instead of a Christmas present.
    I do feel a bit sorry for those who have ordered loads of stuff for their kids,I would imagine the last thing any parents want this time of year is more hassle.
  • Options
    planetnokiaplanetnokia Posts: 15,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As it happens, I'm an Amazon customer myself and I'm waiting for a Christmas present which I'm now fairly sure has been delayed and woin't arrive on time. Difference is, I can appreciate the logistical problems involved right now, so I see no point in trying to attach blame for it when it's clearly beyond anyone's control. I'll give it until tomorrow, then go into town and look for an alternative gift.

I've had a five star service from Amazon until now.

Do you not think that it's irresponsible of Amazon to email customers on the 17th December telling them that "Even with the adverse weather conditions, there is still time to get delivery by Christmas" when hundreds of thousands of orders throughout the country remain missing/undelivered.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Do you not think that it's irresponsible of Amazon to email customers on the 17th December telling them that "Even with the adverse weather conditions, there is still time to get delivery by Christmas" when hundreds of thousands of orders throughout the country remain missing/undelivered.

Not really, because some orders clearly are still getting through (I had a DVD box set arrive yesterday) and they're still running a commercial operation-the last thing any retailer is going to do in the run up to Christmas is to say 'don't bother ordering anything, there's a chance it'll get stuck in the post'!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not really, because some orders clearly are still getting through (I had a DVD box set arrive yesterday) and they're still running a commercial operation-the last thing any retailer is going to do in the run up to Christmas is to say 'don't bother ordering anything, there's a chance it'll get stuck in the post'!

Sounds like fraud, smells like fraud....
  • Options
    NilremNilrem Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member

The thing is, due to the way the postal and courier services work, when there is a backlog in the system new items do usually arrive first!

RM from memory work on a First in Last Out system for clearing any backlogs for several reasons, not least of which is that it's faster to clear the items nearest the door as it were than at the back of the warehouse, they also get rated on the number of late items - not how late.
    So for RM an item that has just entered the postal service still counts towards how their service is rated, an item that is already late has already counted against them. The postal regulator in it's infinite wisdom decided the only factor that mattered in terms of items being late, was that they were late (a more sensible and customer friendly system would have rated items based on if they are on time, if they are late, and how late).

I'm currently waiting on 5 orders from Amazon posted between the 7th and the 12th.

At the moment it stands that
    1 shipped on the 7th is outstanding.
    2 shipped on the 10th are outstanding
    1 shipped on the 15th is outstanding

On the other hand I've also received several orders shipped on the
    15th, 12th, 11th and 7th. - they arrived completely out of posting order (the one posted on the 11th arrived yesterday, whilst the one posted on the 15th arrived this morning).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    A message on Play.com stating that " Our delivery partners are unable to assure deliveries before Christmas of orders made after 15th december." This message refers to deliveries to Scotland & the North East of England.
    On the front page of the site it says 19th december is the last day for orders for Christmas delivery.
    I've been waiting for Toy Story 3 since 7th december - i'm in the north west.
  • Options
    NilremNilrem Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member

That's a very serious accusation, I hope you've got concrete proof.

At the moment there is a damn good chance that orders placed (depending on delivery method chosen) will arrive by Christmas, if a little later than the normal delivery window.

Remember, although the weather is getting bad again most of the delivery services are now much better prepared and have had time to start to adapt properly (more vans, additional drivers etc).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nilrem wrote: »
    That's a very serious accusation, I hope you've got concrete proof.

At the moment there is a damn good chance that orders placed (depending on delivery method chosen) will arrive by Christmas, if a little later than the normal delivery window.

Remember, although the weather is getting bad again most of the delivery services are now much better prepared and have had time to start to adapt properly (more vans, additional drivers etc).

But I haven't accused anybody :confused:
  • Options
    crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there anyone here still wating for something despatched on or around 30th Nov. when mine was sent out? Still hasn't come but had a refund so not bothred really now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

How is it fraud? You pay for the item, they despatch the item, they have fulfilled their side of the bragain. If it turns up late, that's not their fault or indeed their problem. No fraud has been committed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    How is it fraud? You pay for the item, they despatch the item, they have fulfilled their side of the bragain. If it turns up late, that's not their fault or indeed their problem. No fraud has been committed.

They have not fulfilled their side of the bargain if it is never delivered though, the buyer is always right, and should never be out of pocket.
  • Options
    BagpipesBagpipes Posts: 5,443
    Forum Member
    Nov 30th order didn't turn up. Amazon resent order on the 15th and it arrived this morning.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Seriously, do you see any latest news? ...

Daily fail, but still....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1339294/Big-freeze-Online-stores-start-cancel-Christmas-orders-extreme-weather-returns.html?ito=feeds-newsxml
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    They have not fulfilled their side of the bargain if it is never delivered though, the buyer is always right, and should never be out of pocket.

They have fulfilled their side of the bargain as soon as they've sent it. If they replace a lost item, thats customer service, not an obligation (so long as they have proof of postage).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We're so backward in coming forward. We really are.

There will always be an excuse of something or another to explain the way this country grinds to a halt in snow.

In all fairness it really isn't that often we have snow like this, we can spend millions on adaptions and purchasing extra resources only for it to go to waste.
    Countries like Russia and some others are pretty much guarenteed the weather they have each year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They have fulfilled their side of the bargain as soon as they've sent it. If they replace a lost item, thats customer service, not an obligation (so long as they have proof of postage).

Are you really trying to say that amazon are not obliged to replace something that is not delivered?? if so, you are really damaging their reputation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you have been given a date for delivery, your goods must be delivered by that date. If they aren't delivered by then, the trader will have broken their agreement with you, and you are entitled to ask for compensation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If you have been given a date for delivery, your goods must be delivered by that date. If they aren't delivered by then, the trader will have broken their agreement with you, and you are entitled to ask for compensation.

the estimated delivery date was the 14th, it was sent on the 6th, I suppose they are covering their backs with the estimated part, but it does say on their website to get in touch with them if it is not receved by the estimated date, which I did today, no idea how long it will take for them to reply though.
  • Options
    crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Been on the TV news too today,so my mum says.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the estimated delivery date was the 14th, it was sent on the 6th, I suppose they are covering their backs with the estimated part, but it does say on their website to get in touch with them if it is not receved by the estimated date, which I did today, no idea how long it will take for them to reply though.

When did you actually pay for it? Under the distance selling regs, they need to deliver wthin 30 days.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been on the TV news too today,so my mum says.

Shite happens doesn't it, atleast they are being honest. Better that way, than them telling people they can still deliver, & dont.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    When did you actually pay for it? Under the distance selling regs, they need to deliver wthin 30 days.

The day it was sent,the 6th they took the payment, so a long time before 30 days is up, certainly not in time for me to get a refund and buy it elsewhere.