Options

Did losing weight change your life?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,479
Forum Member
✭✭✭
you hear about people who after they lost weight, regardless of how much, they say their lives were transformed. Did you lose weight and did it change all the aspects of your life? For the better or worse?

Comments

• Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    In that anorexia nearly killed me yes....
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I went from people calling me a fat bastard behind my back to them saying I'm underweight and "on drugs".
  • Options
    DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It didn't really 'change my life' as such. It did make me feel much better and happier and back to being the 'real me', as I used to be slim.
    I lost over 4 stones and there is no way I am going to allow myself to get fat again. Being a normal weight and being able to move around freely feels fantastic.
    Hopefully I have also added a few years to my life as well!
    If you are overweight OP then go for it !
  • Options
    oldhagoldhag Posts: 2,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yup! I ended up with anorexia to.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If only I could lose the weight to be able to find out!
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I lost 3 stone in 2006 (went from nearly 11st to a much healtheir 8st) and ended up leaving my partner in 2007 and moving back in with my parents...

It wasn't the weightloss as such, although my adopting a healthier lifestyle did hightlight even more differences in our values. Even if I'd stayed fat our relationship was doomed though!!
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    at the moment, no :)

i lost 8 stone over the last 12 months and while it's obviously increased my mobility and, to a point, fitness in that i can now happily walk a couple of miles a day if i want to, that's about all it's done.

well that and the fact i've had to buy (slightly) smaller size clothes as well :)

it's certainly not made me more attractive to the opposite sex either !
  • Options
    HenryBaneHenryBane Posts: 4,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes and no. I'm like Kirstie Alley, lose lots of weight then pile it back on. I do P90X everyday and it's really hard, but I'm now the fittest I've ever been. I know I must do it for the rest of my life, which is depressing, but I like the results.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HenryBane wrote: »
    Yes and no. I'm like Kirstie Alley, lose lots of weight then pile it back on. I do P90X everyday and it's really hard, but I'm now the fittest I've ever been. I know I must do it for the rest of my life, which is depressing, but I like the results.

That is the only issue with exercise, once you start you have to maintain doing it, or it will work against you in the long run.
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I lost 3 stone recently. I started in January 2011. I went from 14.5 stone to 11.5 stone. Has it made a masive difference to my life ? Not really. I suppose I feel more confident and I love being able to shop in normal clothing stores. But, I am a little obsessive about weight now and I would love to lose more but can't. That is now depressing me.
  • Options
    Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member
    yeah
    it made me happier and feel better
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HenryBane wrote: »

generally the initial elation i feel when i have lost weight wears off as i realise i will have to deny myself certain things for the rest of my life. but me and my husband started putting on weight when we got married and i am hoping to lose weight for next summer and feel fitter, but i know it has to be a life time thing:(
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    I don't know, ten years ago I lost 3 stone (have now put it back on and more unfortuantely) and apart from making me slightly more confident it didn't really change my life. I still had the same issues with my body, I still saw myself as fat even though I could take my trousers off without undoing them and I once took a pair of size 10 jeans into the changing rooms by mistake and they fitted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    at the moment, no :)

i lost 8 stone over the last 12 months and while it's obviously increased my mobility and, to a point, fitness in that i can now happily walk a couple of miles a day if i want to, that's about all it's done.

well that and the fact i've had to buy (slightly) smaller size clothes as well :)

it's certainly not made me more attractive to the opposite sex either !

i don't understand how it has not made you more attractive to the opposite sex if your confidence has increased. i find that my weight has affected other areas of my life, my lack of confidence has stopped me finding a job and generally lazy in all aspects. i have 3 wardrobes of clothes i want to get back into. i think for future it will have to be a balance,if i want a treat then i will have to do more exercise:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    i am very cautious about what i eat
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah
    it made me happier and feel better

Me too. I have more energy, I sleep better and my moods are more stable than they used to be. I just generally feel better about myself and about life in general.

Plus it's nice to be able to buy clothes from shops other than Evans. :D
  • Options
    thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was never 'fat' fat, but I put on some weight when I was stressed and depressed. It was even worse because I used to have a pretty fit, active and relaxed lifestyle.

But losing weight didn't change my life, my life changed and I started losing weight.

Now I'm relaxed, successful and happy, I'm also becoming the fit person I used to be also. The issues in my life weren't all that bad, but I can absolutely see how someone could gain serious amounts of weight due to bad circumstances in their life and end up obese, so i try not to judge.
  • Options
    BomoLadBomoLad Posts: 17,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm having a lot more sex.
  • Options
    eveningstareveningstar Posts: 19,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, huge health benefits. Blood pressure and cholesterol came down to normal, back aches stopped, and generally more energy. For me, life is much more fun being slimmer.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was an anti socail bugger who hates spending money, when I was slim, im one now im fat, I dont see that changing if I ever get proper slim again.

Meanwhile things like my CV wont change either.
  • Options
    BomoLadBomoLad Posts: 17,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's nice walking into clothes stores and not desperately scouring the racks looking for the deep purple XXXL labels.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BomoLad wrote: »
    It's nice walking into clothes stores and not desperately scouring the racks looking for the deep purple XXXL labels.
    fair enough, whilst im not a major fashion guy, will take or leave what I do or dont like, whatever size it is, that would be the major benefit.
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,641
    Forum Member
    When it made me anorexic in my early twenties it did, and not in a good way.

My more recent weightloss? Yes, and in a positive way too.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    galaxy99 wrote: »
    i don't understand how it has not made you more attractive to the opposite sex if your confidence has increased

It's not really had any effect on my confidence levels, not that that is the sole issue regarding my 'standing' with the opposite sex mind :)
  • Options
    Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My weight fluctuates. I used to play netball 3 times a week and as a result was a size 10, pretty much regardless of what I ate. When I stopped playing, I got lazy and put about 3 stone on over a few years. Whilst I'm not that much overweight, I feel awful and I've finally joined Slimming World in the hope I can drop a stone or two, more for health reasons than anything. I wouldn't say losing weight will change my life, just enhance it :)