Options

2015 celebrities - Who do we think?

Comments

• Options
    Mr_XcXMr_XcX Posts: 23,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michelle Mone will probably be a contestant, this year. She's been asked before and she seems intent on raising her profile at the moment.

I would not mind Michelle Mone.

I think she would do great.

Karen Brady too :)
  • Options
    Mr_XcXMr_XcX Posts: 23,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to re-bumb their names back up on here.

David Starkey and Brian Blessed please <333

Brian Blessed has been ill though recently :(

What about George Takai?? Or Kate Mulgrew GODDESS <333
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    sunnymeg wrote: »
    Aidan Turner had represented Ireland at Ballroom dancing. Sadly this makes him too much of a ringer!

Next series of Poldark will be filming in Autumn when Strictly is on - according to Aidan Turner on Chris Evans last week.
  • Options
    sunnymegsunnymeg Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My comment about Aidan Turner was supposed to be ironic!
  • Options
    *Topaz**Topaz* Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ellie_ wrote: »
    I wish people would get over the "ringer" label. It would be a dream to have him on the show - a good looking male celebrity who can actually dance! Not only dance but actually understand the technique of the specific dances and put on a good performance every week!

I don't get the desire to have people who can't dance on a dancing program... it's so british.

I agree and it would be make a nice change to have some male ringers as we haven't had any for a while - contestants who can dance and aren't made to feel ashamed of it. I've been bored to tears of some of the fabricated 'journey' storylines they've served up in the last few series - a few of them have been downright duplicitous anyway because when you search on the net there does seem a strong likelihood that the so called 'journey' contestant has danced before anyway......it leaves a bad taste in the mouth especially when you see another contestant getting all the flak for being a 'ringer'. I'd like to see a series with male and female ringers. I'd also like genuine beginners and middlers, but I don't want it rammed down my throat that they've never had any dance training and they're on a 'journey'.
  • Options
    Ellie_Ellie_ Posts: 1,453
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sunnymeg wrote: »
    My comment about Aidan Turner was supposed to be ironic!

Oh no, I wasn't having a go at you and could tell it was ironic - sorry if it came across that way.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,340
    Forum Member
    Aidan Turner is way too famous now to ever appear on Strictly but he would have been the most amazing of ringahs. Can you imagine Queen Nat paired with someone that hot and that good at ballroom and Latin? It would be a waste of time for anyone else to turn up.

He's about the same age as Tristan and both grew up near Dublin. They must have encountered each other at some point in competitions or classes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,340
    Forum Member
    Monsieur23 wrote: »
    Or Kate Bliss, or Anita Manning; we've had Tim Wonnacott, now time to show off the antiques expert of the female persuasion. :D

On a related note, a TV Historian might be nice - Lucy Worsely always crops up, and would be utterly fabulous, but Neil Oliver or Suzannah Lipscomb would be equally good signings.

Lucy Worsley has categorically ruled out doing Strictly even though she loves the show. It's a shame as she would be a really interesting celeb.

Sadly I think we're about due Michelle Mone and Mike Tindall (Zara has been in the audience before, I think). The producers would really love the royal connection but I have a horrible feeling that he'll dance like a tranquilised hippo and poor Natalie will be the one having to drag him round.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know if the 'ironic' comment was aimed at me because I mentioned that Loius Spence would be a mega ringer but my objection to him was more that I find him too marmite....having said that I do think he would be way over qualified to appear as a contestant on strictly - I mean not only has he danced professionally but he's also a dance teacher and choreograher isn't he?

I think I've made it clear that I want to see ringers on strictly - indeed the show would be as dull as ditchwater without of them - I became a staunch supporter of Natalie towards the end her series - one of the reasons being all the vile flak she was getting on the forums and general media.....I don't know why the producers don't make it clear to the media that strictly never has been a show only for 'novices' - I think they just prefer throwing certain celebs to the lions especially when they want to favour a 'journey' contestant.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lucy Worsley has categorically ruled out doing Strictly even though she loves the show. It's a shame as she would be a really interesting celeb.

Sadly I think we're about due Michelle Mone and Mike Tindall (Zara has been in the audience before, I think). The producers would really love the royal connection but I have a horrible feeling that he'll dance like a tranquilised hippo and poor Natalie will be the one having to drag him round.

Len will still come out with the old 'you came aht and gave it some welly' - and all the judges will be ordered to mark him generously just to make sure Mike stays in as long possible and they don't offend the royals - it might be interestingly to see just how far they go with the arse licking.....or maybe not :(
  • Options
    memmhmemmh Posts: 14,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *Topaz* wrote: »
    I think I've made it clear that I want to see ringers on strictly - indeed the show would be as dull as ditchwater without of them - I became a staunch supporter of Natalie towards the end her series - one of the reasons being all the vile flak she was getting on the forums and general media.....I don't know why the producers don't make it clear to the media that strictly never has been a show only for 'novices' - I think they just prefer throwing certain celebs to the lions especially when they want to favour a 'journey' contestant.
    Strictly is supposed to be about people who don't have ballroom/latin dance experience learning those new techniques. That doesn't mean they can't have experience and skill in other dance styles. Personally, I'd love to see more contestants who have previous dance experience in other genres competing on Strictly, as long as they're upfront about their experience, which Natalie was right from the start.

(Denise's 'I just sat on a chair' really annoyed me. She should have just said, 'Yes, I had to dance a bit in Chicago but it wasn't ballroom or latin.' She'd still have received a ton of flak but she'd have been better liked for being honest. It was the way she came across as trying to deceive us that got to a lot of people who might otherwise have defended her. Mind you, I don't think that being partnered with James helped her either.)

I didn't have a problem with Natalie, I had a problem with Artem, who I felt was phoning in his choreography that year, since at lot of it was just a rehash of the choreography he did for Kara, especially the American Smooth - which Len penalised Kara for but loved with Natalie, even though it was pretty much the same dance. Go figure.
  • Options
    jiroosjiroos Posts: 15,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the "blast form the past" slot, what about one of the 'two Sues' - Lawley or Cook?

Both big on BBC during their respective times, it would be nice to see them back on TV.
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,144
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Len will still come out with the old 'you came aht and gave it some welly' - and all the judges will be ordered to mark him generously just to make sure Mike stays in as long possible and they don't offend the royals - it might be interestingly to see just how far they go with the arse licking.....or maybe not :(

Precisely why I hope that Mike Tindall will not sign on the dotted line.

The producers have apparently been trying to get Donna Air to sign up, too (she is currently the other half of Duchess Kate's brother).

No to them, but a big yes, to Tomasz Schafernacker!:D
  • Options
    RichwoodRichwood Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jiroos wrote: »
    In the "blast form the past" slot, what about one of the 'two Sues' - Lawley or Cook?

Both big on BBC during their respective times, it would be nice to see them back on TV.

Big fan of these two ladies in their heyday, but at 68 and 65 would the BBC hire them ? DWTS has taken on Patti Labelle (70) and Suzanne Somers (68) but the Brits are a bit more ageist. Also would they be fit enough and have any dance talent ? Nice to see them have a go but can't see it happening.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    memmh wrote: »
    Strictly is supposed to be about people who don't have ballroom/latin dance experience learning those new techniques. That doesn't mean they can't have experience and skill in other dance styles. Personally, I'd love to see more contestants who have previous dance experience in other genres competing on Strictly, as long as they're upfront about their experience, which Natalie was right from the start.

(Denise's 'I just sat on a chair' really annoyed me. She should have just said, 'Yes, I had to dance a bit in Chicago but it wasn't ballroom or latin.' She'd still have received a ton of flak but she'd have been better liked for being honest. It was the way she came across as trying to deceive us that got to a lot of people who might otherwise have defended her. Mind you, I don't think that being partnered with James helped her either.)

I didn't have a problem with Natalie, I had a problem with Artem, who I felt was phoning in his choreography that year, since at lot of it was just a rehash of the choreography he did for Kara, especially the American Smooth - which Len penalised Kara for but loved with Natalie, even though it was pretty much the same dance. Go figure.

I agree that Denise shot herself in the foot with her silly comment - as you say she should have just been upfront and said her dance experience was non ballroom or latin - I guess even though it was her fault. I think I remember feeling a bit sorry for her, but she and her management should have realised that ,nowadays , everything including old interviews can be checked on the net - I'm not sure why she tried to play experience down - perhaps she was badly advised? I didn't watch the first few series of strictly but someone on here said that Jill Halfpenny tried to play down her prior experience when she did strictly and she actually did have some Latin experience as she'd competed in competitions in her youth - I guess with it being the earlier series she was lucky enough to get away with it - or perhaps it was because she was far more likeable?

Re Artem and Natalie - I know there was quite a bit of criticism of him on this forum for wasting the opportunity he had with Natalie - I think he probably did freestyle too much out of hold in the ballroom, but I think he did come up with different stuff for the Latin - unfortunately we didn't get to see the jive but from tour footage it looked great.....but I'm not sure if it was Artem's lack of imagination or because of problems with Natalie's old injury that some of her ballroom suffered ....even though it was a similar AS to what he did with Kara, I think Natlie did put her own spin on it and she pulled out that breath taking version of it in the finals....I guess what I'm trying to say is, that if I think a pro is letting a contestant down with choreography I won't hold it against the celeb - at the end of the day, they can only dance what they're given and I think Natalie did her best with what she was given especially in the trying circumstances of the media onslaught against her.
    Precisely why I hope that Mike Tindall will not sign on the dotted line.

The producers have apparently been trying to get Donna Air to sign up, too (she is currently the other half of Duchess Kate's brother).

No to them, but a big yes, to Tomasz Schafernacker!:D
    I said earlier in the thread that if Mike Tindall signs up, I think they'll try and manufacture a 'journey' storyline for him so that he wins :( I really hope the royal advisers persuade him not to take part.

I remember the producers wanted Donna Air because of the tenuous royal connection a few series ago but she didn't sign up for whatever reason and they got Abbey Clancey instead.I haven't heard any recent rumours about Donna. Apparently they want Robbie Williams' wife this series.

Tomasz sounds good - far more preferable to Mike anyway :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted
  • Options
    memmhmemmh Posts: 14,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree that Denise shot herself in the foot with her silly comment - as you say she should have just been upfront and said her dance experience was non ballroom or latin - I guess even though it was her fault. I think I remember feeling a bit sorry for her, but she and her management should have realised that ,nowadays , everything including old interviews can be checked on the net - I'm not sure why she tried to play experience down - perhaps she was badly advised? I didn't watch the first few series of strictly but someone on here said that Jill Halfpenny tried to play down her prior experience when she did strictly and she actually did have some Latin experience as she'd competed in competitions in her youth - I guess with it being the earlier series she was lucky enough to get away with it - or perhaps it was because she was far more likeable?
    I think it was a bit of both - an earlier series with a less critical audience, and Jill had greater likeability. Not to mention, Darren was also better liked than James, so Jill & Darren as a competing couple came across much better than Denise & James. It was a shame, because Denise was very good.
    Re Artem and Natalie - I know there was quite a bit of criticism of him on this forum for wasting the opportunity he had with Natalie - I think he probably did freestyle too much out of hold in the ballroom, but I think he did come up with different stuff for the Latin - unfortunately we didn't get to see the jive but from tour footage it looked great.....but I'm not sure if it was Artem's lack of imagination or because of problems with Natalie's old injury that some of her ballroom suffered ....even though it was a similar AS to what he did with Kara, I think Natlie did put her own spin on it and she pulled out that breath taking version of it in the finals....I guess what I'm trying to say is, that if I think a pro is letting a contestant down with choreography I won't hold it against the celeb - at the end of the day, they can only dance what they're given and I think Natalie did her best with what she was given especially in the trying circumstances of the media onslaught against her.
    I completely agree with that. I was disappointed with Artem regarding the choreography but I wasn't disappointed with Natalie. I never blame the celebs for the choreography.

I'm thinking more likely Angela Rippon. I know she's 70, but she loves dance and I think she'd definitely do Strictly if she had the chance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Richwood wrote: »
    Big fan of these two ladies in their heyday, but at 68 and 65 would the BBC hire them ? DWTS has taken on Patti Labelle (70) and Suzanne Somers (68) but the Brits are a bit more ageist. Also would they be fit enough and have any dance talent ? Nice to see them have a go but can't see it happening.

I don't know - the show has had the following ladies of not-too-dissimilar age on:

(Age when they appeared on the show)

Gloria Hunniford (65)
    Edwina Currie (65)
    Dame Esther Rantzen (64)
    Felicity Kendal (64)
    Ann Widdecombe (63)
    Lulu (63)
    Anita Dobson (62)
    Pamela Stephenson (61)
  • Options
    SallyforthSallyforth Posts: 7,404
    Forum Member
    The demise of "Atlantis" may offer some cast-plundering opportunities.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    memmh wrote: »
    I'm thinking more likely Angela Rippon. I know she's 70, but she loves dance and I think she'd definitely do Strictly if she had the chance.

I would love to see Angela but isn't she dance-trained to some level? Also, she did Dancing on Ice just four years ago and I don't think she will want to play the serial reality show contestant.

If we want to go down the the BBC old-time broadcaster route then how about Anna Ford (71), Moira Stuart (65) or Selina Scott (63)?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funny you should mention Lulu, she was on radio 2 this morning promoting her latest CD. I wonder if she'll send Brendan a copy :p

Angela Rippon had a very early exit on DOI which really disappointed her, personally I thought that show was too much of a risk for even some of the younger celebs let alone the older celebs - I think if she was given a chance she'd be up for strictly - I'm not a fan of hers but I think it's important the older generation is represented, especially by someone who can dance, I think she'd possibly connect better with a BBC audience and ballroom dancing is much safer than dancing on ice, so as I said, I think she'd relish the opportunity to get back in the limelight.
  • Options
    pabirdpabird Posts: 871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's get away from the usual BBC types I'd settle for any of the female Sky sports news presenters
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How about marking the 30th anniversary of Neighbours by having one of the former stars on the show?

Anne "Madge" Charleston is still sprightly despite her 72 years....
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    How about marking the 30th anniversary of Neighbours by having one of the former stars on the show?

Anne "Madge" Charleston is still sprightly despite her 72 years....

Ermm Neighbours is not on the BBC any more.
    Why would they promote it ??

I think we are due a Casualty / Holby next year - how about Derek Thompson ??
    He gets lots of time off in his contract.
  • Options
    RichwoodRichwood Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know - the show has had the following ladies of not-too-dissimilar age on:

(Age when they appeared on the show)

Gloria Hunniford (65)
    Edwina Currie (65)
    Dame Esther Rantzen (64)
    Felicity Kendal (64)
    Ann Widdecombe (63)
    Lulu (63)
    Anita Dobson (62)
    Pamela Stephenson (61)

Good point. There have been 60 somethings in Strictly, particularly in 2010 but I read last year that the producers were feeling that older people would not be up to it and during the last three seasons there has only been one 60+ celeb in each series, which supports my comment.

Nonetheless I would be happy to see older people having a go.