Options

Soaps Report Card - Grade their current performances

DeschanelDeschanel Posts: 8,745
Forum Member
Much like a school report, simply grade the soaps you watch.

Anything from A* to an F, with +/- to denote the higher or lower range of individual grades.

I'll go first:

Emmerdale: B
I'm really enjoying the show right now. Loving the Alicia/Lachlan story and the Aaron/Robert story; I like seeing Victoria involved in her own plot for a change, even if Adam/Vanessa's ONS was a bit contrived (although, they do have chemistry). Laurel's alcoholism is also holding my interest, and I never thought I'd say that about a Laurel story. I've also enjoyed seeing Pearl get some dramatic material for a change. Plus points goes to having less screen time for the awful Jai. But, what is this awful Rishi/Georgia story? It feels like Rishi's feelings have come out of nowhere fast.

Neighbours: B
Loving the show right now. Madge's return has provided some wonderful scenes with Harold; I've loved seeing Hilary, Des, Nina, Sky, Lucas & Vanessa, and Janelle all return for the 30th anniversary. Matt's finally an interesting character, now that his life has spiraled out of control thanks to his dodgy dealings with Dennis Dimato and an ill-advised hook up with Sharon Canning. I'm even enjoying Daniel & Amber's non-wedding and him and Imogen being trapped down a well. Dr Nick is truly a love to hate villain.

EastEnders: C+
It would be higher if it wasn't for the constant stop/start storytelling, and the pretty dull run we've had since Live Week. The potential is all there, but the pacing is all wrong. Kat's story is great, and the only reason why I gave it a + point. I'm not too fussed about the Carters, and maybe if I cared more, I'd grade it higher. Although, I'm not that interested in seeing Phil huff and puff his way round the Square.

Hollyoaks: F
The show just isn't interesting me at all right now. It's awful in every way possible. Unbelievably contrived plot twists, no character development, lack of storyline aftermath, etc, etc. Nothing new to add that hasn't been said in other threads. HO needs to pick up its game, fast - but I know it won't.

Comments

• Options
    Rob1985Rob1985 Posts: 5,194
    Forum Member
    Neighbours A
    Emmerdale C
    Corrie D-
  • Options
    David_HillDavid_Hill Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hollyoaks - D- I think the ott storylines provide an alternativr to the style of the other soaps but it does often go too far and lacks continuity.

Neighbours - C The show is the best it's been in years and has a good mix of comedy and humour. It could improve on having less filler though.

Home and Away- B The show is very entertaining and is quite fast-paced. The only problem is it needs to do better at finding a good mix between lighter and darker scenes

Eastenders- B+ The best of them all, it's exciting, im interested in most of the current storylines and characters. Live week was phonemonal. It would have recieved an A if it wasnt for the poor quality for a couple of weeks after live week.
  • Options
    actual_soapactual_soap Posts: 5,378
    Forum Member
    Hollyoaks - F
    Eastenders - B
    Emmerdale - B
    Corrie - D
    Neighbours - B
  • Options
    sorrentosorrento Posts: 1,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cs..b
    Ed..b
  • Options
    MrAndrewMrAndrew Posts: 499
    Forum Member
    With 'A' being the 2004 season and 'F' being the Susan Bower years...

Neighbours- D
    The show still reeks of teenage naivety and lacks the intelligent writing you'd get from the show in 85-04, where you could tell that the writers had all lived fleshed out adult lives.... but the past 2 years have been more enjoyable due to an increase in the comedy aspect of the show. Characters, storylines and general production values (especially music and sets) still need a lot of work though. I don't quite understand why this era gets the general praise that it does... It IS better than the car crash TV of 09-13, but take any single year from 1985-2004 and the quality just doesn't stand up. Not 'rose tinted glasses' btw, I started watching in 2012 and went back and watched hundreds of older eps ;)
  • Options
    FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
    Forum Member
    Coronation Street - D
    Humorous, but also humorously awful. Doesn't really matter if you miss an episode.

EastEnders - C
    Things go somewhere then get dropped out of nowhere. But it's improved.

Emmerdale - A
    Perfect. Storylines are top notch, and I'm never disappointed by the delivery of the actors.

Hollyoaks - F
    No words to describe. An absolute mess.
  • Options
    cyrilandshirleycyrilandshirley Posts: 48,569
    Forum Member
    Emmerdale: B++

Normally I'd be on an A-, because I really enjoy most of it, but this week has been a bit dull, mainly because of the deathly boring Rishi/Georgia filler (and I like them, but this is dire) and the Adam/Vanessa plottastic shag.

On the plus side, the Alicia/Lachlan story has been fantastic, I really loved Victoria not wanting to marry Adam (though she needs to dump him), I love anything with Ross or Finn in, Emma is interestingly worrying, and Laurel's story is really well-acted if a bit grim. I'm just missing some of the show's big hitters right now - Cain, more Ross, Charity, Nicola, Alicia and Robert.

eta: I don't really watch any of the others much, but when I do, I'd give EE a C (I hate the Carters), Corrie a D (it's just so boring), and HO a U (Unclassified - a Fail is too kind).
  • Options
    DeschanelDeschanel Posts: 8,745
    Forum Member
    MrAndrew wrote: »
    With 'A' being the 2004 season and 'F' being the Susan Bower years...

Neighbours- D
    The show still reeks of teenage naivety and lacks the intelligent writing you'd get from the show in 85-04, where you could tell that the writers had all lived fleshed out adult lives.... but the past 2 years have been more enjoyable due to an increase in the comedy aspect of the show. Characters, storylines and general production values (especially music and sets) still need a lot of work though. I don't quite understand why this era gets the general praise that it does... It IS better than the car crash TV of 09-13, but take any single year from 1985-2004 and the quality just doesn't stand up. Not 'rose tinted glasses' btw, I started watching in 2012 and went back and watched hundreds of older eps ;)
    I agree about the sets and music, but I feel due to budget and space, the sets will never be improved to the standard they should be. The music just sucks compared to anything pre-2008, and that was evident when seeing old clips in the reunion show.

I often see people complaining about the 1995 season. How do you think that compares to now?

2000-2001 were quite boring years (outside of Libby/Steph's bike crash and generally all things Libby), and I'd happily take the drama and comedy of today over those years. The difference being there was better characters back then, than now.
    Emmerdale: B++

I'm just missing some of the show's big hitters right now - Cain, more Ross, Charity, Nicola, Alicia and Robert.

eta: I don't really watch any of the others much, but when I do, I'd give HO a U (Unclassified - a Fail is too kind).
    Ouch! Poor HO. You know it's bad when someone rates it a U!

I'm kinda enjoying the break from Nicola, Cain and Charity. I love their characters, but I feel Nicola needs a rest, especially after her tedious temp-exit story; Charity also needed a break, but the trouble is they have no other character quite like Charity, so there is a bit of a void left. I hope when we see Cain again, that he's gets a story that refreshes his character.

I'm just glad Jai, James and the Spencers aren't doing much, and that Megan, Pete and the Dingles are on the backburner for a while.
  • Options
    cyrilandshirleycyrilandshirley Posts: 48,569
    Forum Member
    Deschanel wrote: »
    I'm kinda enjoying the break from Nicola, Cain and Charity. I love their characters, but I feel Nicola needs a rest, especially after her tedious temp-exit story; Charity also needed a break, but the trouble is they have no other character quite like Charity, so there is a bit of a void left. I hope when we see Cain again, that he's gets a story that refreshes his character.

I'm just glad Jai, James and the Spencers aren't doing much, and that Megan, Pete and the Dingles are on the backburner for a while.

Only just found this reply, but yep, I agree! I mainly miss Nicola, Cain, Charity etc because they're all missing at the same time. They're all brilliant, but need a refresh. Charity is always best when she comes blazing back with chaos and trouble in her wake. :D Cain really needs something new to do that doesn't involve him just being Moira's husband, or the Sort It man for the Dingles (much as I love him).

ED is great because there's a great ensemble cast, and Alicia and Robert and even Laurel have been doing a good job filling the gap. Looking forward to Lachlan's Dad coming in as well.

Spoke too soon on Jai and James not doing much though. :cry:
  • Options
    garyessexgaryessex Posts: 9,083
    Forum Member
    Neighbours B-
    EastEnders C+
    Coronation Street C
    Hollyoaks U
  • Options
    Mark_Washingto1Mark_Washingto1 Posts: 19,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Emmerdale- I give it a B+, The stuff Robron and Katie's death has been great and I love that its bringing Chas and Paddy closer again. Laurel drunk great as well, the only down side lately has been the focus on the Sharmas.

Coronation Street- I give it an A. Corrie has been really good, Bethany and Sarah have breathed new life into Platts, the scene where Sarah stormed back into no 8 was hilarious. Also I love the Tony/Tracy affair and can't wait to see Tracy get her claws on the Rovers. Faye's pregnancy has been good as well, the only thing bad on Corrie right now is the Nazirs.