Options

Two and a half men - final episode.

EvieJEvieJ Posts: 6,035
Forum Member
I watched the earlier episodes but stopped when Charlie left.

Final episode tonight, anyone watching?

Comments

• Options
    steven87gillsteven87gill Posts: 1,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've loved this show. Like, properly loved this show. But by god that was a complete & total mess, just a shameful way for this epic show to bow out (however bad it got towards the end) I know they were perhaps trying to make it ridiculous, but that's not really an excuse for that shambles.

I got the distinct impression that Chuck Lorre literally didn't give two shits about the show anymore, & hasn't for some time. He made his money form it & just wasn't interested, & the whole episode was just him giving the long term fan-base a great big middle finger.

It did the whole 4th wall breaking thing which was a just eugh. All the 'nudge nudge, wink wink' staring at the camera stuff isn't clever, it's cringe worthy. Sheen declined an invite, as such, the episode should've been re-written, rather than teasing it for a whole hour only to not deliver. As it was, the cameo role that they offered him would've been a middle finger to all concerned & I'm glad he declined:
    ''I know a lot of you might be disappointed that you didn't get to see Charlie Sheen in tonight's finale. For the record, he was offered a role. Our idea was to have him walk up to the front door in the last scene, ring the doorbell, then turn, look directly into the camera and go off on a maniacal rant about the dangers of drug abuse. He would then explain that these dangers only applied to average people. That he was far from average. He was a ninja warrior from Mars. He was invincible.

And then we would drop a piano on him.

We thought it was funny.

He didn't.

Instead, he wanted us to write a heart-warming scene that would set up his return to primetime TV in a new sitcom called The Harpers starring him and Jon Cryer

We thought that was funny too.''
    Yeah, how dare that evil Charlie Sheen demand some decent emotional pathos & sound character development!

See, It might have seemed a bit corny, but what Sheen proposed sounded a hell-of-a-lot better than that pile of hot garbage that claimed to be the last episode of Two & A Half Men.

I actually can't emphasise enough just how terrible that was.
  • Options
    Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really liked this show but stopped after Charlie left also, I'm watching on +1 to see what happens in the finale, guess Charlie isn't going to show.
  • Options
    jason81jason81 Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    Saw it when it aired in America, episode itself was pretty decent and quite funny in places, but the ending was a load of rubbish.
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I stopped watching regularly after Sheen left and gave up altogether when they introduced Charlie's long-lost lesbian daughter, so I watched it out of curiosity having not watched it for, what, maybe two years? Have to say, I enjoyed it. That's not to say it was actually any good in the artistic or creative sense, but it raised a smile, even the odd proper laugh, throughout. It was as if Lorre (sp?) knew he couldn't just end the show in a 'conventional' way. The impression I got was that everyone involved knew the show jumped the shark long ago, so they decided to play up to that and make it as ridiculous as they could. The whole thing was basically a 'f*** you' to Sheen and an acknowledgement of how ludicrous the plots were over the years. Some jokes landed, some - usually whenever they broke the wall - didn't, but Arnie re-capping eleven years worth of history was brilliant. WTF was that ending about though? :confused: Even allowing for Lorre's obvious hatred of Sheen, that was horribly self-indulgent of him and disrespectful to Cryer and Kutcher to not give them the final scene.

Incidentally, what's the John Stamos in-joke all about? I recall he was touted as Sheen's replacement and appeared in the first post Sheen ep. and he cropped up again in the finale. I looked him up on IMDB, but couldn't see any obvious connection to (I'm assuming) Lorre.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I agree, one dig after another at Charlie Sheen. Shame really because before he left it was ok. The Harpers might have been worth trying.

And yes, Lorre had clearly tired of it, understandably. Perhaps his fate at the end being the same as Charlies was his admission.
  • Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    I actually caught it. Basically a massive 'up yours' to Charlie Sheen but I did find the piano bits oddly funny.

Still mystified it lasted 12 seasons though, with and without Sheen.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    Awful, used to be must see tv, but has been rubbish since the lesbian daughter arrived - too much emphasis on cheap smutty gags, rather than the'clever' humour of earlier series.

But this, this was just awful.
  • Options
    goodol lsgoodol ls Posts: 1,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What was that all about? How can they end the show like that? Disrespectful that Cryer didn't get the last scene. Disrespectful towards Charlie Sheen as well, who was the main attraction of the show for eight seasons. It would have been so much better if it had ended with Walden, Charlie and Alan making a pact to move in together and Alan and Charlie showing that they ultimately cared for each other. Where the hell was Herb? Herb was my favourite character. That actor Angus T Jones is a little hypocritical as well, since he has turned religious he has lamabasted Two And A Half Men and stated that he finds it puerile and exploitative. Thank you Chuck Lorre for ruining a great show and providing a horrible, self indulgent ending. You can go and take a running jump Chuck.
  • Options
    Steve_CardanasSteve_Cardanas Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it did not feel like a final episode.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate Chuck Lorre
  • Options
    David_HillDavid_Hill Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could someone describe the ending scene to me?
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    EvieJ wrote: »
    I agree, one dig after another at Charlie Sheen. Shame really because before he left it was ok. The Harpers might have been worth trying.

And yes, Lorre had clearly tired of it, understandably. Perhaps his fate at the end being the same as Charlies was his admission.

But what reason is there for the writers to bother, They can't trust him and they pretty much know he doesn't respect them

I think Charlie Sheen was great in 2 and a half men but i think people who are criticising the shows creators are forgetting who let who down and who insulted who first
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it did not feel like a final episode.
    I think Lorre decided he couldn't let the show end without using it to take the biggest pot-shot at Sheen. I mean, they can tit-for-tat all they like on Twitter, but Sheen can hardly retaliate in kind to being publicly humiliated (if it's even possible to publicly humiliate Charlie Sheen) on prime-time television. Once he decided that, he had to work in a way to bring him into the show after four years, which in turn meant all bets were off as to how ridiculous the show could then be, so, as I said in my previous post, all the normal rules of how to end a long-running show went out the window.

I did like how they got Sophie Winkleman (or is it Windsor?) back to play up to her status as Royalty (well, sort of). :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very racist towards us Brits. Cheers Lorre.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David_Hill wrote: »
    Could someone describe the ending scene to me?
    Alan and Walden are on the deck and they see an aeroplane approaching with what they soon realise is a piano - the same sort that Charlie had - being air lifted below it. Cue shocked 'He couldn't be, could he?!' looks on their faces.

Cut to shot of someone about Charlie Harper's height and build, in his customary shorts and bowling shirt approaching the front door of 'his' (i.e. Walden's house). We never see his face.

The piano falls from the sky and crushes whomever it was.

Cut to shot of Chuck Lorre in the directors chair - we've now broken out of the show and are in the recording studio - turn to face the camera and say - with a kind of victory grin on his face - "Winning!", which I gather is one of Sheen's real-life phrases.

Immediately after saying this, a second piano falls onto and crushes Lorre.

Roll end credits.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A terrible ending.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    goodol ls wrote: »
    Very racist towards us Brits. Cheers Lorre.
    Was it? Can't say I got any sense of that. AFAICR, the only British bit was when they showed Walden speaking to Zoey. In what way was it racist? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah. My mistake. The king was from Moldavia, not England.
  • Options
    Chris197800Chris197800 Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    I stopped watching regularly after Sheen left and gave up altogether when they introduced Charlie's long-lost lesbian daughter, so I watched it out of curiosity having not watched it for, what, maybe two years? Have to say, I enjoyed it. That's not to say it was actually any good in the artistic or creative sense, but it raised a smile, even the odd proper laugh, throughout. It was as if Lorre (sp?) knew he couldn't just end the show in a 'conventional' way. The impression I got was that everyone involved knew the show jumped the shark long ago, so they decided to play up to that and make it as ridiculous as they could. The whole thing was basically a 'f*** you' to Sheen and an acknowledgement of how ludicrous the plots were over the years. Some jokes landed, some - usually whenever they broke the wall - didn't, but Arnie re-capping eleven years worth of history was brilliant. WTF was that ending about though? :confused: Even allowing for Lorre's obvious hatred of Sheen, that was horribly self-indulgent of him and disrespectful to Cryer and Kutcher to not give them the final scene.

Incidentally, what's the John Stamos in-joke all about? I recall he was touted as Sheen's replacement and appeared in the first post Sheen ep. and he cropped up again in the finale. I looked him up on IMDB, but couldn't see any obvious connection to (I'm assuming) Lorre.

I think Stamos was possibly rumoured to replace Sheen at first, the only name I really remember being tossed around was Rob Lowe but Stamos would make sense based on his look and style.

The quoted post pretty much sums up how I felt about the episode, I enjoyed it for what it was but found it a little insulting both to the viewers and the cast for the show to bow out that way after such a long run, its true the show had dipped in quality a long time ago and they were now using outright silliness more often than well written humour or just smutty or toilet humour but the whole episode just served as a way for Lorre to take constant jabs at Sheen as well as ridicule the show in general.

I could live with the slating of Sheen and even the mocking of the show but the ending was terrible. It would have been nice if they could have written a fitting ending for the Alan and Walden characters rather than just going with the parting shot at Sheen. The general feeling was that Lorre was glad to be rid of this show and took the opportunity to rip it apart with the cast just generally going through the motions for another easy pay-day, also Angus T Jones deserved to be torn apart just as badly as Sheen for the comments hes made about the show that's set him up for life financially.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Stamos was possibly rumoured to replace Sheen at first, the only name I really remember being tossed around was Rob Lowe but Stamos would make sense based on his look and style.

The quoted post pretty much sums up how I felt about the episode, I enjoyed it for what it was but found it a little insulting both to the viewers and the cast for the show to bow out that way after such a long run, its true the show had dipped in quality a long time ago and they were now using outright silliness more often than well written humour or just smutty or toilet humour but the whole episode just served as a way for Lorre to take constant jabs at Sheen as well as ridicule the show in general.

I could live with the slating of Sheen and even the mocking of the show but the ending was terrible. It would have been nice if they could have written a fitting ending for the Alan and Walden characters rather than just going with the parting shot at Sheen. The general feeling was that Lorre was glad to be rid of this show and took the opportunity to rip it apart with the cast just generally going through the motions for another easy pay-day, also Angus T Jones deserved to be torn apart just as badly as Sheen for the comments hes made about the show that's set him up for life financially.

Yes It would have been good if Alan moved out and married Lyndsey.
    One good thing about the last season was the introduction of Louis, at least it took the show back to its original purpose two and a half men.
    It could have continue. library introduce a new male character to replace Alan. Say a cousin of Walden.
    As for breaking the fourth wall Moonlighting did it in its last episode and so did Happy Days, but Happy Days olny did it in the last min, were
    "Tom Bosley breaks the fourth wall during his toast, looking directly into the camera when he says, "So, thank you all for being part of our family." In doing so, he thanked the show's viewers in the guise of thanking the guests at the reception.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cris182 wrote: »
    But what reason is there for the writers to bother, They can't trust him and they pretty much know he doesn't respect them

I think Charlie Sheen was great in 2 and a half men but i think people who are criticising the shows creators are forgetting who let who down and who insulted who first

Oh I agree, he was a massive delusional c*ck, but Lorre shouldn't have allowed that to get in the way however many seasons later. One thing we can't deny is that they needed him, even in his absence.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Too true. Why were they laughing at Anger Management? Obsessed much Lorre?
  • Options
    RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    goodol ls wrote: »
    Too true. Why were they laughing at Anger Management? Obsessed much Lorre?

Anger Management is worthy of all the mocking it gets. Dreadful show.
  • Options
    djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EvieJ wrote: »
    Oh I agree, he was a massive delusional c*ck, but Lorre shouldn't have allowed that to get in the way however many seasons later. One thing we can't deny is that they needed him, even in his absence.

I know Sheen has his issues, but Lorre seems obsessed with bringing Sheen down. Lorre seems to be putting all his energy into Big Bang Theory instead

Angus T Jones leaving was also a disaster for the show
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if the characters from 2 and a half men will cross over to his other shows