Options

Apple Watch

Comments

• Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kidspud wrote: »
    Out of the 76 million iPhones sold in the last reported 3 months, how many people do you think queued for them?

Not many, but they took away their fun. They were always a part of the Apple experience, now they are ashamed of them and it's all hoity-toity.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Terrified of returns too I bet. The 'try on' obviously is to make buyers more certain about what they want.
    http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/buying-apple-watch-stores-give-customers-15-minute-hands-sessions-1492634

"Come 24 April, when huge queues are expected just as they are with every new iPhone launch, customers will be split into three groups. Firstly, those who have made an order ahead of time and know exactly which model of Watch they want will be separated from those who have ordered one, but still do not know exactly which size, style or strap they want.
    Finally, Apple Stores will hold stock for customers walking in on launch day, although these numbers - as with when new iPhones and iPads go on sale - are expected to be small, and will vary greatly from one store to another."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey, I bet they are terrified about returns and want to gauge a return rate.

They are near as certain selling just a few to gauge it all.
    A dull week with the watch, would you return it ? You can be quite certain a high percentage will.
  • Options
    kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    Not many, but they took away their fun. They were always a part of the Apple experience, now they are ashamed of them and it's all hoity-toity.

'Ashamed of them':confused: where of earth have you derived that from. ?

I went and looked at an apple watch the other day. I would not have described the experience as "hoity toity " but mainly because I don't have a clue when that service would look like.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »

A dull week with the watch, would you return it ? You can be quite certain a high percentage will.

Yes, that will be it.

What is a high percentage (just so we can check later).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For them, ebay prices at below retail.

I wouldn't really worry. There won't be many watches out there at all. Ebay will go ballistic
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For them, ebay prices at below retail.

I wouldn't really worry. There won't be many watches out there at all. Ebay will go ballistic

You seem to be being rather vague and have now changed from a high percentage of returns to people selling them on eBay (but not because there will not be many).

What percentage are you talking about, and how low do you think these sells figures will be?
  • Options
    Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    Isn't it about time someone locked this thread. Not sure its really going anywhere now ?
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, its that Sport Sport Watch that is at the bottom of the pile.
    Yet from comments there, people have gotten cold feet about buying any 'Sport'.

People will know it is the cheap version defeating one reason for purchase.

I have no idea of the sales figures, but I suspect Apple produced more of those entry level versions and it would have been the most popular. The more expensive versions offer no extra functionality after all. It is only a 1st gen version of a product that will no doubt be far better in later iterations. When it's matured a bit, perhaps people will be more willing to go for the more expensive models IMHO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some realism here.
    http://www.xda-developers.com/design-contrast-is-the-apple-watch-better-than-wear/

Yet did anyone actually buy one to get a collection date of the 24th?
    I honestly don't think there are going to be that many out there at all.
  • Options
    zapodzapod Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Please don't lock the thread. It's hilarious. I want some of what Alan's on.

Personally, I don't mind waiting a few weeks for Watch supply timescales to normalise, for the hubris to pass a little. I also don't mind that the device is a 1st gen product; my original 5Gb iPod, iPad, iPod shuffle, iPod nano all served me well despite yearly hardware refreshes. It's inevitable in the technology sector.
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some realism here.
    http://www.xda-developers.com/design-contrast-is-the-apple-watch-better-than-wear/

Realism? To quote your link "I have not yet had the opportunity to try out an Apple Watch hands-on"

Aren't you getting just a tad obsessed with the Apple Watch Alan? You seem to post about little else lately.
  • Options
    Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some realism here.

The Inquirer suggest that the launch isn't going to be the smooth operation that Apple usually provide with the date of the 24th actually being wiped from the US site.
    http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/opinion/2404505/apple-watch-why-apple-shouldnt-have-released-its-debut-wearable-yet
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, its coming up to exactly 5 years in May of having my own personal stalker on the Apple topics. Where else here do you get thread police ?

It can only make for weirdness.

And psionic, that links explains many differences from a technical aspect.
    But hey, you can join in the fun, even if you are meant to be the 'developer type'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    I have no idea of the sales figures, but I suspect Apple produced more of those entry level versions and it would have been the most popular. The more expensive versions offer no extra functionality after all. It is only a 1st gen version of a product that will no doubt be far better in later iterations. When it's matured a bit, perhaps people will be more willing to go for the more expensive models IMHO.

Also can you get the watch without the band? If not it would be normal to get the watch with the cheap ugly band and get a nice one for a reasonable price elsewhere rather than paying through the nose to Apple.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Ashamed of them':confused: where of earth have you derived that from. ?

I went and looked at an apple watch the other day. I would not have described the experience as "hoity toity " but mainly because I don't have a clue when that service would look like.

Well they don't want them being in front of their shops anymore. It's a tradition that was there a long time and now it's gone because the new person in PR doesn't like it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well they don't want them being in front of their shops anymore. It's a tradition that was there a long time and now it's gone because the new person in PR doesn't like it.

I'm not sure the tradition has been there that long, and I'm still not sure giving everyone a better shopping experience and removing queues which make up a minute percentage of their customer base = 'ashamed of them'.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Encouraging people to queue up for a product which is not likely to be in stock would be a bit silly, wouldn't it.

Also, as mentioned before, the Watch is not a product that just comes in 6 versions like previous iPhones and iPad; there are 58 conbinations which people might want to see and the store would have to stock.
  • Options
    Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote: »
    Encouraging people to queue up for a product which is not likely to be in stock would be a bit silly, wouldn't it.

Also, as mentioned before, the Watch is not a product that just comes in 6 versions like previous iPhones and iPad; there are 58 conbinations which people might want to see and the store would have to stock.

..... And with apple being a bit skint and taking very narrow profit margins I can see how keeping all that stock would be tricky ;) a whole 58 products ..... Its hardly John Lewis is it :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure the tradition has been there that long, and I'm still not sure giving everyone a better shopping experience and removing queues which make up a minute percentage of their customer base = 'ashamed of them'.

Those queues are not there permanently just a few days a year. But anyway, I am not going to cry into my pillow that Apple customers cannot use Apple shops to buy Apple products and take them home with them.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    ..... And with apple being a bit skint and taking very narrow profit margins I can see how keeping all that stock would be tricky ;) a whole 58 products ..... Its hardly John Lewis is it :p

Some people mocked Apple when they were overstocked with the iPhone 5C, so I suppose they are damned if they do and damned if they don't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    Some people mocked Apple when they were overstocked with the iPhone 5C, so I suppose they are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

It isn't Apple who are damned. It is a reflection of some on here who are so desperate to look for a negative. I really don't know what drives them, but it is laughable.
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

IIRC people were pretty sure the iPhone would be a complete disaster too.

But I'll bite - would you like to put a figure on your "high percentage" and we can have a wager?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stuart_h wrote: »

There's a bit of a difference between 58 different products and 58 variations of a single product.

How would you suggest they split the stock, percentage wise, of each of those 58 variations?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, its coming up to exactly 5 years in May of having my own personal stalker on the Apple topics. Where else here do you get thread police ?

What are you talking about now? Its a discussion forum on the internet.