Options

Apple Watch

Comments

• Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can receive what's app messages on the watch but you can't reply to them.
    psionic wrote: »
    Not yet.

Hopefully soon.
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's some really nice design touches with it. Some very subtle - some very noticeable. Even the UK charger they supply is very well thought out and compact.

The battery life seems far better then some of the online articles would have us believe. It easily lasts as long as the phone - from what I've seen.

The sapphire crystal though is EXTREMELY reflective. An inherent property of the material I guess.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zapod wrote: »
    Out of interest, when did you order? I ordered mine Saturday, received it yesterday - only 5 days :D (Apple Watch SS 38mm)
    Mine is the 38mm space grey Sport with black band. I ordered at 8.05 on launch day, but this model has been one of the most popular hence liable for delays.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    My Apple Watch Sport is being delivered today. I'm so happy I might go out and get a tattoo to celebrate! ;-)

Treat yourself, buy a can of gold spray paint and upgrade it to Apple Watch Edition :D
  • Options
    zapodzapod Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    Mine is the 38mm space grey Sport with black band. I ordered at 8.05 on launch day, but this model has been one of the most popular hence liable for delays.

That was my 1st choice too, but my inner geek couldn't resist 'sapphire & steel' :cool: I did go for the black band - the material is a lot more refined than the silicon strap I thought it was going to be.

Anyway enjoy it when it arrives.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    The sapphire crystal though is EXTREMELY reflective. An inherent property of the material I guess.

Yeah I noticed this too; there was a lot of chatter too, about the air gap between the glass and the screen but in reality that's non-existant with the viewing angle being virtually 180 degrees.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How is contrast in daylight/sunlight?
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it possible to use WhatsApp on the Apple Watch?
    Store apps are said to run on the iPhone, not the watch, so you would get a quite limited service.

However, I'm sure many Apple things are financially negotiable.
  • Options
    tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Store apps are said to run on the iPhone, not the watch, so you would get a quite limited service.

What on earth are you alluding to there, but it sounds sinister
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't you remember integrated Google maps in IOS ?
    It likely means that developers may have to negotiate like Google did.

That seems to be the positive spin on it. It seems better than apps all being feature limited.

Personally, I think it quite useful for potential buyers to know how things are said to work. Here's the important stuff on the contrasts between two main platforms.
    http://www.xda-developers.com/design-contrast-is-the-apple-watch-better-than-wear/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "The Apple Watch has good decisions behind it too. The taptic engine is something I cannot wait to try out myself, as the vibrations of Wear can get tiresome and their buzz too noticeable when laying an arm on a surface. The ability to easily put widgets is nice too, even if they don’t update in real-time. But when it comes to the things that matter the most, the user-experience simply doesn’t feel optimized. Some claim it is the “most capable smartwatch”, and “the best you can get”. I did not touch on things like battery life, but the Apple Watch features a much inferior battery life to virtually all Wear watches out right now (and I suspect that the reason why Apple cross-loads needed content updates and has no Glance auto-sync nor dimmed state is to further save battery). "

And that is possibly why negotiations with Apple will be needed to get SELECT APPS to actually run on the device rather than the phone.

Personally , I like that strategy of how it works as little processing power is needed. You could get away with using a Cortex M3 or even a much smaller CPU.
    I'm slightly puzzled how battery life is so low, especially with that screen off all the time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smartwatches are weird at the moment.

It is is almost as if few want to know the major differences, and that they do not matter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think the issue is having apps running directly on the Watch, rather than anything that does run has to use a partner app on the phone that already has the hooks to whatever data connections may be present. The Watch in itself has no Wifi connection settings as such - it gets those from the paired phone, and even then Watch apps still need to go through an app on the phone to get their data.

On the Watch apps can appear as 'glances' i.e. live data via the phone, but this is strictly limited to literally just a single watch face of data.

For richer data, the user can tap the glance page and wait for the app to appear.

As I understand it, this wait isn't for the app to 'load' as such - it is there because the Watch has to 1/instruct the phone to launch the app in the background on the phone, 2/ allow the backgrounded phone app time to fetch the data from the internet, possibly over a dodgy data connection 3/ transmit the data over bluetooth to the Watch, upon which the Watch can display the app and data in one go.

The alternative would be for the Watch to show the app straight away with old data/blank fields while the background data fetching tasks are executed.

Apple chose the former method probably because old or blank data would be an undesireable UX*.

The 'load' delay is similar to the amount of time it takes the iOS Facebook app to launch and refresh with new posts - when you look at it that way it doesn't seem too bad.

*I notice that glances take a fraction of a second to refresh, so the data is loaded as the user interacts with the Watch, it doesn't happen in the background.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't you remember integrated Google maps in IOS ?
    It likely means that developers may have to negotiate like Google did.

That seems to be the positive spin on it. It seems better than apps all being feature limited.

Personally, I think it quite useful for potential buyers to know how things are said to work. Here's the important stuff on the contrasts between two main platforms.
    http://www.xda-developers.com/design-contrast-is-the-apple-watch-better-than-wear/

The Google Maps things was purely because Google's bundling contract expired with Apple and Apple had their own Maps (notoriously bad at first) offering they wanted to push by then so didn't want to renew. Google Maps became just another third party app. Same happened with YouTube app.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In reviews they write that apps are rather slow on the watch. So the way to programme something for a watch might be unified and rather simple, that does not need a lot of computational power, but it's slow. There's an additional delay for phone app/ watch communication on top of phone app doing its work. Using phone only for connection would be faster, but would probably require richer phone APIs, more complex apps, more computational power, thus battery. Things may change in the future if owners find the apps frustratingly slow.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »

Poor. In full sunlight I'd say about 70% effective compared to iPhone screen. Watch face visible enough to read though...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »

Daylight fine. But bright sunlight not brilliant especially with the sapphire version IMHO.
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That does sound sinister - could you expand at all?

I mean it could just be that with a great number of things between any two companies things are financially negotiable.
  • Options
    Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dunno if a build costing has been posted in this thread yet but apparently it costs $83.70 / £55.29 (exchange rate as of my post time) to produce the watch.
    http://www.zdnet.com/article/apple-watch-costs-under-85-to-make/
  • Options
    Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Permanent or temporary changes to your skin, such as some tattoos, can also impact heart rate sensor performance. The ink, pattern, and saturation of some tattoos can block light from the sensor, making it difficult to get reliable readings.

Source Apple

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204666
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dunno if a build costing has been posted in this thread yet but apparently it costs $83.70 / £55.29 (exchange rate as of my post time) to produce the watch.
    http://www.zdnet.com/article/apple-watch-costs-under-85-to-make/

That's wrong. Alan has already posted the correct figure - $10.

Difficult to believe, I know. But Alan is a thorough researcher.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Permanent or temporary changes to your skin, such as some tattoos, can also impact heart rate sensor performance. The ink, pattern, and saturation of some tattoos can block light from the sensor, making it difficult to get reliable readings.

Source Apple

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204666

Is this "A Thing"?

All sorts of technologies have all sorts of limitations all the time, but they rarely seem to become "Things".
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is anyone else having problems not receiving calls on their watch?
  • Options
    slattery69slattery69 Posts: 213
    Forum Member
    calico_pie wrote: »
    Is this "A Thing"?

All sorts of technologies have all sorts of limitations all the time, but they rarely seem to become "Things".

given that apple have added to there support page re it id say they have an eye on it and will be hoping it doesn't become an issue.
    Though given the market there aiming the apple watch at the fashion market (all the ads magazines, fashion weeks attended ) it may become one given the amount of tattoos people have and how fashionable they have become.
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/alexrees/40-top-models-with-fashionable-tattoos#.xce2gdlVww

time will tell they maybe able to work around it with an update
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is anyone else having problems not receiving calls on their watch?

No not seen that. Although I've noticed it rings on the phone first then about a second later the watch starts tapping your wrist, When you look at the watch the screen comes on and shows the incoming call.