BBC Election Night

Comments

• scoobiesnacksscoobiesnacks Posts: 3,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surferman1 wrote: »
    Say what you like about the BBC, but the election studio is stunning and I'm loving the panoramic cam angles on News at 10 tonight! The set isn't even new, it was used last year and just updated, so no complaints about wasting money please!

What was it used for last year?
  • hilduffluvahilduffluva Posts: 3,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Say what you like about the BBC, but the election studio is stunning and I'm loving the panoramic cam angles on News at 10 tonight! The set isn't even new, it was used last year and just updated, so no complaints about wasting money please!

I agree luckily my shift at work tomorrow is 6-10 pm so i can rush home and watch it im glad im not missing anything! But I love the BBC studio it is obvious how much they love it everytime!
  • owen10owen10 Posts: 127,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I cant wait
  • Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What was it used for last year?

The local elections. The local elections are usually done from a tiny cupboard but they were a bit more elaborate last year because they used it as a rehearsal for the General Election from Elstree (much like how the only networked local election coverage on ITV was in 1996 so they could use it as a rehearsal).
    marke09 wrote: »
    For those in Wales without SKY the main network programme with David Dimbleby will be on BBC TWO Wales but 35 minutes later than everywhere else at 10.30 because they couldn't be bothered to reschedule W1A - im sure if it had been a rugby match that programme would have been changed

I think there would be more people in Wales annoyed by the dropping of W1A than there would be for those annoyed by BBC Wales not showing the first half hour of the national election show, which they can see on BBC News anyway and will be saying much the same stuff as the Welsh show, especially in that first half hour.
    Ash_M1 wrote: »
    Was Mark Austin ever at the Beeb?

Yes he was, he was there in the mid-eighties and sports correspondent for much of that time. You can see him on lots of eighties BBC News bulletins on YouTube reading the sports news. He moved to ITV in 1986.

As for why he doesn't do much on election night, although he's one of their senior presenters he's presumably less interested in politics than some of his colleagues. He has been involved on election night most years as a reporter, though.
    I really don't know what I think about Huw Edwards replacing DD, we might get a flavour of it when he takes over at 8am on May 8th, but I have my reservations. He doesn't seem to have the depth and understanding, or even interest like DD and others before him.

I would disagree with this, because he was a political correspondent before he became a newsreader and he did the Nick Robinson role for BBC Radio in 1992 - and he did that with no notes or anything because he'd actually memorised it all. The BBC put together their guide to every constituency and he learned it off by heart.

Not sure why this thread has been pondering who's replacing David Dimbleby when it was made very clear when they announced his departure that Huw Edwards would be replacing him on all elections from now on.
  • Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do people seriously watch only BBC on election night?
  • Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aurora13 wrote: »

Why not? They're all telling the same story, so you go for the people you prefer to tell it.
  • Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member

Well, my TV can show two channels at once, so I watch both Sky and BBC.:D
  • Surferman1Surferman1 Posts: 920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, because it really is the best in the business and it doesn't go around announcing individual results before they have been declared, often inaccurately. It also has a comprehensive local service that none of the others have. Obviously, I'll have my tablet, laptop etc looking at other sources, twitter etc, but I'll stay with the BBC all night.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would disagree with this, because he was a political correspondent before he became a newsreader and he did the Nick Robinson role for BBC Radio in 1992 - and he did that with no notes or anything because he'd actually memorised it all. The BBC put together their guide to every constituency and he learned it off by heart.

It's good to hear the opposite view. Maybe, I was unfair and I'm just not used to Huw Edwards' style. He does umm and err a lot! I just was concerned he lacked something. Having said that, he did a good job of the referendum results from BBC Glasgow which I had forgotten about.
  • Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,149
    Forum Member

They're the ones who cover it best probably. Didn't ITV do it from a boat last time with a load of pissed up people?
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Are there other channels?
  • albion-mad-nickalbion-mad-nick Posts: 4,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC all the way for me. Don't see the point of channel hopping.
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why would anyone want to watch other than the BBC coverage on election night? (Unless it's to avoid Jeremy Vine, of course :).)

Presumably the other channels have commercial breaks which is one good reason for not watching them.
  • albion-mad-nickalbion-mad-nick Posts: 4,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    Why would anyone want to watch other than the BBC coverage on election night? (Unless it's to avoid Jeremy Vine, of course :).)

Presumably the other channels have commercial breaks which is one good reason for not watching them.

I think Jeremy Vine has improved greatly.

Shame that it's David Dimbleby's last one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, I agree, JV much better than he used to be, but then you don't get much practice with a general election every 4 or 5 years!

If there is another election this year, I would hope that they would give Dimblebot the gig!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

We shall see. I don't know when he did this last - presumably the 2010 election.

I think someone said there was a local election version last year, though that must have been London only, since the rest of us have local elections this time and London doesn't.

(I had three ballot papers to deal with today!)
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I agree, JV much better than he used to be, but then you don't get much practice with a general election every 4 or 5 years!

If there is another election this year, I would hope that they would give Dimblebot the gig!

Vine is just too light weight for serious programmes, if they have to use him then they should find a more suitable role.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We shall see. I don't know when he did this last - presumably the 2010 election.

I think someone said there was a local election version last year, though that must have been London only, since the rest of us have local elections this time and London doesn't.

(I had three ballot papers to deal with today!)

JV was in the main studio for the 2014 local elections, which was used as a rehearsal for the 2015 GE. That's how I know he has improved.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    Vine is just too light weight for serious programmes, if they have to use him then they should find a more suitable role.

Before he was on Radio 2 he was a serious journalist/presenter on Newsnight and he is news trained, so it's not like all this is new to him. I do know what you mean though...you can't imagine him doing tough interviews with any degree of gravitas.
  • SambdaSambda Posts: 6,207
    Forum Member

If he keeps taking his glasses on and off like he does on Question Time, I shall scream.

Get some bifocals, man.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JV was in the main studio for the 2014 local elections, which was used as a rehearsal for the 2015 GE. That's how I know he has improved.
    We know that London is the centre of the universe, but were there local elections anywhere else?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We know that London is the centre of the universe, but were there local elections anywhere else?

Lol, yes there were! It was also the European elections and there were also directed elected mayor elections. (Although, the one in Tower Hamlets has now been declared void due to electoral fraud and cheating by Lutfur Rahman, who was kicked out of office recently.)
  • Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    I'm starting with Channel 4 as I could do with a laugh and then joining BBC after that.
    That way I only have to listen to about 5 hours of speculation on the BBC before something meaningful happens.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm starting with Channel 4 as I could do with a laugh and then joining BBC after that.
    That way I only have to listen to about 5 hours of speculation on the BBC before something meaningful happens.

The BBC will have their exit poll at 10 p.m. and the first real result is expected from Sunderland at about 10.45 p.m.
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exit poll incoming