"up to" 152MB

roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,307
Forum Member
✭✭
Anyone actually got 152, whats you highest.

Comments

• Michael_LambertMichael_Lambert Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    Just got 159mbps best ever was 160.2mbps.
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/3712059162.png
  • charmarrcharmarr Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have the Super Hub with up to 152 meg,yet I can't get any more than 38 meg on my I Pad.
    Is this normal when using wi-fi?
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    charmarr wrote: »
    I have the Super Hub with up to 152 meg,yet I can't get any more than 38 meg on my I Pad.

Try using 5G wifi if the iPad supports it.

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=27664&CURRENT_CMD=SEARCH&CONFIGURATION=1001&PARTITION_ID=1&USERTYPE=1&LANGUAGE=en&COUNTY=us&VM_CUSTOMER_TYPE=Cable

It's best with the Superhub 2 as that can transmit 2G and 5G simultaneously. The original Superhub can only do one or the other.
  • RedOrDead36RedOrDead36 Posts: 1,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm on the same server as you and this my my typical speed

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3713206438.png

The upload is up there but download averages 60mps , best was 70mbps.

I'm using the 5G but in built up area, maybe this is why I can't pull near the advertised speed?
  • Duffman2000Duffman2000 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :cool:
    Forum Member
    I'm on the same server as you and this my my typical speed

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3713206438.png

The upload is up there but download averages 60mps , best was 70mbps.

I'm using the 5G but in built up area, maybe this is why I can't pull near the advertised speed?

Have you tried it with a 1gbps devices over ethernet?
  • fainéantfainéant Posts: 2,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best result 160.98 Mb/s but for the last few days it has barely been more than 160.80 Mb/s. ;-)
  • anthpiefaceanthpieface Posts: 956
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you tried it with a 1gbps devices over ethernet?

I think that is one of the problems when measuring broadband speed. I have just renewed all my cat 5 10/100 cable to cat5e 1gbps and now my recorded speed has jumped from 80mbps to 151 mbps using speedtest.net. I am on xxl broadband. I wonder how many users are blaming Virgin media for low speeds without looking at their network setup.
    Forum Member
    I had to put cat5e all the way from one side of the house to the other(taped to the floor so it looks like a mess) to take advantage of 150mbps, I tried homeplugs (gigabit ports) tho only gave me 80mbps. I need something a bit more permanent. :(
    I think that is one of the problems when measuring broadband speed. I have just renewed all my cat 5 10/100 cable to cat5e 1gbps and now my recorded speed has jumped from 80mbps to 151 mbps using speedtest.net. I am on xxl broadband. I wonder how many users are blaming Virgin media for low speeds without looking at their network setup.

Sort of depressing how little people know about networking and whatnot.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One would expect the equipment supplied by Virgin would be capable of reaching the advertised speed ! Not everyone is a tech geek.

You don't need above 50mpbs anyway unless you are an illegal down-loader.
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One would expect the equipment supplied by Virgin would be capable of reaching the advertised speed ! Not everyone is a tech geek.

Te equipment Virgin provide you with (the Superhub) can reach the advertised speed. But your own equipment and network setup must also be able to handle those speeds.
    Forum Member

Nice assumptions, I've downloaded 100GB today legally and have 4 brothers that also share the connection with no slowdowns.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 225
    Forum Member

NONSENSE!!!

In our household we have 17 wifi devices, not always connected at the same time, but we are heavy users.
    Its not always about speed, its about being able to share.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    charmarr wrote: »

It will depend on your iPad, only the new 'air' can achieve that speed under the right conditions. About 80 or less would be normal for other models.
  • Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member

What a petulent remark!

Are you so insidious as to say such remarks without consideration?

I think you might find those on this forum tend to be of a diverse mix of peoples. There really isn't any need to be so nasty and insulting to other FM without due cause.

As for your last remark.......I have 80Mbps product from BT and I am not an illegal downloader, I have used 600gb this month through several of us in the household doing online gaming, netflix and such like. Here we do need a higher speed, used Virgin and 152Mbps was nice but the upload lacked somewhat so went with BT.

But you really need to learn some manners!
  • Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Spoken like an idiot with no actual understanding of the subject matter.

I have a 100mb line, and I can eat up a lot of data. You can also say hello to my 7 year olf steam account with about 400 odd games, my girlfriends netflix account, her xbox which likes to update and install games on, the many devices we have that all download updates and apps for.

Go back to your cave.
  • gothergother Posts: 14,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Are you for real or just being a WUM?
    I'm a online gamer add to that my usuage of Netflix, iplayer and Blinkbox and use quite a lot of bandwidth and my usuage is very high.
  • ixHellstormxixHellstormx Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Congrats, you have been put into the prize draw for 'stupid comment of the month'.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is my current speed:
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3721927731

On Ethernet I almost always get over 150 Mbps. Over Wifi it entirely depends on how good your device is and on local conditions.
  • LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't complain. I've always gotten the speed I signed up for. Was on 152mb and always got between 150m and 155m.

Not I've dropped to 100mb and always get between 99mb and 103mb.

No complains here. Which is good because their customer service are a shambles.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The posters resorting to insults have been reported.

Some people need to learn the difference between speed and usage - two totally different things. Having to state the obvious here.

As soon as VM bring in the proposed usage caps the better as people obviously abusing the service.
  • Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    The posters resorting to insults have been reported.

Some people need to learn the difference between speed and usage - two totally different things. Having to state the obvious here.

As soon as VM bring in the proposed usage caps the better as people obviously abusing the service.

Good Sir/Madam

I think you will find it was yourself who instigated the retaliatory remarks, whilst two rights don't make a wrong you had no jusitification for your earlier spiel.

People know the different between speed and usage, I think everyone has a very good understanding, it helps that this forum tends to be frequented by people like yourself a bit tech savvy.

As for usage caps unless I am mistaken Virgin has done away with the download aspect and is looking into doing the same with the upload. So going forward none should exist, unless you care to point me in the direction of where you source your remarks?

Seriously though, there is no need to be so rude and aggressive towards other members with rather petulent remarks. But then I suppose manners don't matter do they?
    Forum Member

Could you troll any harder?
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I cant get more than 56 Mbps, thats at a quiet time (6am).(wireless) thats tested on 3 devices The point is when I was only paying for 30MB, thats what I got.
    Forum Member
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Well, I cant get more than 56 Mbps, thats at a quiet time (6am).(wireless) thats tested on 3 devices The point is when I was only paying for 30MB, thats what I got.

Your devices are most likely a bottleneck and wifi changes speeds depending on the signal strength.

Using ethernet and a 1000mbps port should give you you're full speed.