Any Manga / Anime fans ?

Hi all,

In the 90's I used to love a lot of Manga, all the gory stuff like "Legend of the dragon kings". Now after years of not seeing any Manga I was wondering what new stuff is out there which isn't for kids & has the old style Manga violence ?. I have just started watching a series called "High school of the dead" which is pretty good, but was wondering if anyone here can suggest some good recent ones with English dubbing ?.

Many Thanks

Comments

• zelda fanzelda fan Posts: 6,330
    Forum Member
    Hi all,

In the 90's I used to love a lot of Manga, all the gory stuff like "Legend of the dragon kings". Now after years of not seeing any Manga I was wondering what new stuff is out there which isn't for kids & has the old style Manga violence ?. I have just started watching a series called "High school of the dead" which is pretty good, but was wondering if anyone here can suggest some good recent ones with English dubbing ?.

Many Thanks

I don't know about dubbing as i watch my animes subbed but here is a list of anime's you may like that have some violence or psychological components to them.

Claymore
    Death note
    Shingeki no Kyoujin- or attack on titan as it is known in English.
    Another- (that is it's real name)
    Shiki
    Deadman Wonderland-This can be a bit nasty though entertaining.
    Mirai Nikki
    Higurashi no naku koro ni

Now if you want something a bit more sci fi then i recommend
    Psycho pass
    Steins gate

Lastly here are animes with mecha elements
    Accel world
    Valvrav the liberator
    Code Geass
    Aldnoah Zero

There loads of other types of animes that are great as well but can't list them all. If you need links for sub animes i will give them but if you are just interested in dubbed i will leave you to watch where you normally watch them.
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've seen a few episodes of Attack on Titan, really need to finish it off. You might like Blue Gender as well, not sure about gore, but it's quite violent.

I'm more into comedy anime, the likes of Nadesico and Excel Saga.
  • LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved Legend of the four kings, still have it on video and would really like to get it on another format one day.

One new one I would recommend from the Manga alone is Parasyte. I've only seen episode one of the Anime, but it looks good thus far.
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the replies everyone, looks like I got some major catching up to do. :)
  • T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not strictly a manga/anime fan, but I recently watched a great little anime series called Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood adapted from a manga series of the same name. It was released in 2009 though, so not sure if you've already seen it. There's actually an older version of this anime that was released in 2003, but it wasn't particularly good IMO and takes liberties with the source material. The 2009 version is much more faithful to the manga series and therefore superior.

Anyway, I loved it and it's got me interested in animes now. I would recommend it to anyone. The storyline and characters are top quality. Would love to see it as a live action series some day.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed Outlaw Star and Gungrave.
  • lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Highschool of the Dead is a guilty pleasure. It's like an old B-movie. :)

I've seen loads of anime, so I could go on for ages, but I'll throw out a few I like to see if you enjoy too.

Another... supernatural horror type show about a new kid at school who seems to be the only one that can see one of the classmates.
    Baccano.... because it's a MUST for any anime fan.
    Darker Than Black... futuristic story where people with superpowers are hired as assassins.
    Fate Zero, and the new Fate Stay Night. Legendary heroes fight for their masters in The Holy grail Wars.
    Higurashi, cute kids on a kill spree in arcs of the same time frame but with different outcomes.
    Inferno Cop, probably the funniest thing I have ever seen.
    Psycho-Pass, psychological anime that is like Minority Report, but brilliant.
    FMAB, another MUST see.

Avoid like the mofoing plague even though people will tell you it's great : No Game No Life, and Attack on Titan. :p

**Edit** In manga go for Liar Game, there's no anime, but there is a live action version on youtube. THE PLAYS!!!
  • BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    Parasyte is good. Psycho Pass is brilliant. As is Attack on Titan.

So much great anime around at the moment.
  • Esot-ericEsot-eric Posts: 1,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love a good anime and currently have 431 series on my server (including pretty much everything mentioned in this thread so far).

I prefer light-hearted or comedy to gore though, so am not too sure what to recommend.

IIRC I think Katanagatari has some bloody fights and i think Karas is supposed to be violent (i haven't got around to watching it yet), but the ultra-violent gory stuff that Manga Entertainment was so famous for doesn't seem as prevalent these days.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Esot-eric wrote: »
    I prefer light-hearted or comedy to gore though, so am not too sure what to recommend.

Ouran? I was going to have that in my list, but had to edit a lot out. :D

If you've recommendations in that genre I'd love to hear them. :)
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bester wrote: »
    Parasyte is good. Psycho Pass is brilliant. As is Attack on Titan.

So much great anime around at the moment.

Watching Pyscho Pass on Netflix at the moment, great series. :)
  • Esot-ericEsot-eric Posts: 1,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ouran? I was going to have that in my list, but had to edit a lot out. :D

Ouran High School Host Club? I've got that too, it's pretty good. :D
    If you've recommendations in that genre I'd love to hear them. :)

There's just so many out there...

Of course, a classic has to be El Hazard (OVAs, AKA The Magnificent World. The Alternative World is alright, but the Wanderers is terrible).

One of my all-time favourites is Skip Beat. Still longing for a second season of that.

A lot of people didn't seem to enjoy B Gata H Kei or Kill la Kill but i found both hilarious.

Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko and Inukami! are really enjoyable and quite funny.

Hatsukoi Limited, Hyakko and Midori no Hibi are amusing and decent.

For mysteries in addition to the aforementioned "Another" and "Higurashi" there's "Gosick" and "Hyouka"

Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha, Kamichu! and Isshuukan Friendsare sweet.

Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita is insane. I was sitting there doing other stuff while the first episode played in the background thinking i'd drop it until...

A heart-warming series is Aishiteruze Baby (Op, Ed) and the similarly-themed but more recent Usagi Drop.

Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai made me cry quite a bit, as did the first episode of Kotoura-san.:blush:

That's a few of my favourites from A to M, i'm too tired to continue. :D
  • TankyTanky Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just want to say Manga are the comics and Anime are the animations. Manga Entertainment were the ones who bought anime to the west, so why people mistake their manga logo as the term for animation.

I would suggest watching-

Basilisk, some awesome ninja action.
    Berserk, medieval knights series that has both a fairly old TV series but also a recent 3 part movie remake.
    Black Lagoon, modern mercenary action.
    Hellsing Ultimate, probably the best vampire anime and plenty of gore.
    Hunter X Hunter, super power martial arts anime.

It's not all about gore but I'll try to keep it action orientated, you should check out

Kekkaishi, series about Japanese shaman like characters
    Hajime no Ippo, the best boxing anime ever made.
    Anything by Studio Ghibli is a must.
    Cowboy Bebop, anime about a space bounty hunter.
    Full Metal Panic! mecha anime.

If you haven't watched all the old anime, you also should look up
    Ninja Scroll(movie not the terrible series)
    Ghost in the Shell movie, there's also a more recent 2 season TV series.
    Akira
    Cyber City Oedo
    Guyver (original series and had remake in the 2000's)
    Gunbuster
    Evangelion

You should start watch anime with subs, cause the Japanese voice actors are much better and you'll have access to a ton more anime that haven't made it over here, some anime never even get released over here either.
  • BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    Most anime never gets released over here sadly :(

El Hazard is wacky and wonderful, particularly the original series 'The Magnificent World'.

Evangelion is a great show too, as is Cowboy Bebop. Tbh, EVERYONE should watch Cowboy Bebop, it's kind of like anime if Quentin Tarentino did a series.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The easiest way to watch Evangelion is through the power of parody https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtUpWihJJJ4 EvAbridged part 1. :)

"It's a Gundam, It's an angeru!!!".
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    I enjoyed Outlaw Star and Gungrave.

I meant to say, if anyone is considering watching Gungrave for the first time then I'd recommend skipping the first episode and start watching at episode 2. Not because it's bad or anything, but because it gives away stuff that happens later on.
  • MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Death Note is superb, Monster is good if you can find it.
  • T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah yes, Death Note is a good one. There are some great gems in anime that you won't find anywhere else.
  • FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoy some anime, I would say I'm a casual fan who enjoys some shows rather than a dedicated fan of the medium. Some recommendations from me, which are largely repeating what others have listed.

Cowboy Bebop
    The second show I ever watched and love it, I agree that this is something everyone should at least try. Interestingly, it could be western in it's feel; I think that makes it all the more interesting.

Ghost in the Shell
    loved it at the time, dont feel the same love for it now. Maybe because it's themes have been emulated so much. It's undeniably a great show though.

Psycho Pass (brilliant)
    Evangelion
    Death Note

^ Just straight out good shows.

Steins Gate, I thought it was decent but people seem to love it

To Aru Majutsu No Index (A Certain Magical Index).
    It's different, the novels are it's strongest point, the anime is decent. It's a bit fanservicey & can drag a bit, but it has a lot to offer if you can get past that, nice mix of dark, light and humour.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    actually been keeping up with SAILOR MOON CRYSTAL, and had EIGHT episodes in one go, also wanted to get into AKAME GA KILL, but with little time to watch anything at the mo!

also right into the EVENGELION REBUILD movies, see 1.11 and 2.22 and got 3.33 (see a pattern here) to go, and APPLESEED XIII and GHOST IN THE SHELL ARISE BORDER 1 GHOST PAIN as well .....

i bought MANGA MANIA from first issue and was immersed into it, reading the AKIRA strip right to the end, love THE DIRTY PAIR and got STREET FIGHTER 2 on vhs .....

and STILL have PRINCESS MOMOKONE and SPIRITED AWAY to see, since i bought them on dvd ..... and i want KIKI'S DELIVERY SERVICE too and got the live action version to watch also!

and yes they simply don't show enough of it on tv, given how flipping much is out there, as i watched all the channel 4 stuff they showed in the 90's, i even have johnathon ross's program still on tape they showed before the premier of AKIRA!
  • FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Studio Ghibli stuff is great family viewing. You can't go wrong. I'm not sure how to spell his name, I think I got it right.

I never got Akira, it was OK but it just didn't draw me in.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fizix wrote: »
    I never got Akira, it was OK but it just didn't draw me in.

Aaah Akira, how an anime can leave you confused as all hell and screaming "OMG what the hell is that!!!!!" at the psychic kids. :D

Back to thread though I just remembered, if you're going dubs, you have to see Ghost Stories, probs the greatest dub ever, esp if you can get with the original sub playing at the same time.
  • SkyfallSkyfall Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Ga-Rei-Zero
    X series
    Freezing
    Berserk
    Canaan
    Afro Samurai
    Hellsing Ultimate
    Guyver: The Bioboosted Armor (2005) (TV Series)
    Ichi The Killer movie
    Blood C
    Blooc C The Last Dark
    Master of Martial Hearts
    Gunslinger Girl
    Darker Than Black
    Corpse Princess
    Crying Freeman series
    Elfen Lied
    Another
    Claymore
    Fate Stay Night
    Highschool of the Dead
    Psycho-Pass
    Black Cat
    Oldboy (2003) movie
  • threecheesesthreecheeses Posts: 23,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jenzie wrote: »

and STILL have PRINCESS MOMOKONE and SPIRITED AWAY to see, since i bought them on dvd ..... and i want KIKI'S DELIVERY SERVICE too and got the live action version to watch also!

My daughter has and loves all those 3, if you haven't seen 'The Girl Who Leapt Through Time' that's another one she rates high up with those, Spirited Away is one of my all time favourite films :)

One of my daughter's favourite anime series was Angel Beats but obviously not what the OP is looking for, also the mini BRS series.

I'll suggest a few of these mentioned in the replies to her as she is a bit older now, she watched Battle Royale a few weeks back.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    is dragonball z classed as anime?

either way its the best. ever