Options

Horror Movies Based on True Stories?

FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
Forum Member
✭✭
I've watched The Blair Witch Project but many people say it wasn't based on any true story?

Any other ones? even loosely based on a true story?

Comments

• Options
    Mark AMark A Posts: 7,692
    Forum Member
    As the supernatural doesn't exist it's hard to see how it could.

Regards

Mark
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    There's loads that use real events and create their own story out of that. (How broad a definition is that? They probably all do!)

http://www.gamesradar.com/50-horror-movies-based-true-stories/

Even serial killer movies like Zodiac and such could be considered horrors. (Where does thriller end and horror begin?) Psycho as well.

If you are wanting to limit it to supernatural horrors then it's obviously a bit different. The movie might be based off of a legend which might have a grain of truth and a lot of embellishment.

http://paranormal.allwomenstalk.com/paranormal-movies-based-on-true-stories
    (I like to read that as 'all women stalk') ;)
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Amityville Horror! :D

Obviously all the Ed Gein based flicks
  • Options
    pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nightmare on Elm street
    The exorcism of Emily Rose
    Wolf Creek
    Open water
    Silence of the lambs
    Texas chainsaw masacre
    The conjuring
  • Options
    pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And its slight OT, but there is a documentary called Cropsey about a killer in NYC, which i watched about half of and thought it was found footage, but then twigged its a true story. Very interesting and well worth a watch
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    The Iron Lady?
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,270
    Forum Member
    Primeval, Black Water, Eaten Alive, Rogue - All Killer crocodile movies all based in part on true events.

Friday The 13th is partly based on the unsolved Keddie Cabin Murders.
  • Options
    Mrs ChecksMrs Checks Posts: 8,372
    Forum Member
    dee123 wrote: »
    Friday The 13th is partly based on the unsolved Keddie Cabin Murders.

Really?

But the only similarity is that both the movie and real life murders took place in a cabin? That is very loosely based!

Anyway, my suggestion is not a horror movie per se, but quite a horrifying story - a movie that is under both the titles of I Am You and In Her Skin (not sure which title it's easier to find under), starring Sam Neil and Guy Pearce.

It's a true story of a well-known Australian murder. It's a very chilling movie, although obviously not a typical horror.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark A wrote: »
    As the supernatural doesn't exist it's hard to see how it could.

Regards

Mark

Horror doesn't necessarily mean supernatural.

Regards

Hugh
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,270
    Forum Member
    Mrs Checks wrote: »
    Really?

But the only similarity is that both the movie and real life murders took place in a cabin? That is very loosely based!

It's Hollywood. That's all it takes.
  • Options
    Mark AMark A Posts: 7,692
    Forum Member
    Horror doesn't necessarily mean supernatural.
    No, but The Blair Witch is, which is what I was commenting on in answer to the original statement.

Regards

Mark
  • Options
    Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In naughty nun terms, Ken Russell's The Devils is sometimes categorised as Horror. I suppose there must be a few titles more based around the inquisition/witch-hunt period etc that have elements of non-fiction as the basis of their stories.

From more modern times, Anita Ekberg shlocker The Killer Nun has a preface about being based on 'true recent shocking events from a convent in Belgium' or some such guff.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    i watched ghost one other night based on true events called A haunting at silver falls, wasn't too bad

Wolf Creek
  • Options
    KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    No, but The Blair Witch is, which is what I was commenting on in answer to the original statement.

Regards

Mark

There's really nothing supernatural about the Blair Witch Project. It's about a "witch" who may have been a child killer.

The Girl Next Door is another one. Which none of you should EVER watch. EVER
  • Options
    Misanthropy_83Misanthropy_83 Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scream was based partly on the real life case of the Gainesville ripper
  • Options
    Mrs ChecksMrs Checks Posts: 8,372
    Forum Member
    Karis wrote: »

That one was horrifying too (not to be confused with the movie of the same name starring Emile Hirsch and Elisha Cuthbert, though! :D)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Black Water was true , good tense film
  • Options
    boozer3boozer3 Posts: 2,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs Checks wrote: »
    That one was horrifying too (not to be confused with the movie of the same name starring Emile Hirsch and Elisha Cuthbert, though! :D)

I very rarely find movies that freak me but The Girl Next Door was horrible! I quite like Mother's Day, too. Despite being a bit cr*p, it is based on true events and Rebecca De Mornay is super creepy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't The Hills Have Eyes based on that too?

The Changeling?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's really nothing supernatural about the Blair Witch Project. It's about a "witch" who may have been a child killer.

Isn't The Blair Witch based on cases of young people going missing in woods where witchcraft was apparently practised?
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Exorcist

Dracula

Child's Play
  • Options
    AsarualimAsarualim Posts: 3,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Witchfinder General. Based on "the heavily fictionalised murderous witch-hunting exploits of Matthew Hopkins, a 17th-century English lawyer who claimed to have been appointed as a "Witch Finder Generall" by Parliament during the English Civil War to root out sorcery and witchcraft"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witchfinder_General_(film)
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Regards

Mark

Oh I see. But as someone else has pointed out, Blair Witch wasn't "supernatural" either.

Regards

Hugh
  • Options
    chloedancerchloedancer Posts: 6,486
    Forum Member
    Open Water was based on a true story i believe.
  • Options
    couchpotato2011couchpotato2011 Posts: 1,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's a supernatural horror. The witch was responsible for many of the gruesome crimes over hundreds of years - according to local legend. They wasn't investigating a local nutter.