Options

Channel 5's Autopsy Series - Your views?

laurence1870laurence1870 Posts: 213
Forum Member
Anyone who has seen this documentary will know that each episode investigates into pathology reports of celebrities who have died under strange circumstances.

Tonight's episode focused on River Phoenix and featured a picture of his corpse, a graphic reconstruction of his death and the original 911 call made by his brother whilst he was overdosing.

How do you think this series stands in terms of morality? Do you find them interesting or simply find them an insult to the deceased and their families? I am very split on it I think.

Comments

• Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems to go against all the rules of medical confidentiality. It seem wrong, as it could cause distress to the friends and relatives.
  • Options
    EuanMebabeEuanMebabe Posts: 1,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't seen the River Phoenix episode but I did watch the one on Robin Williams. The clips they showed of the Robin Williams lookalike preparing to hang himself I found distressing and I felt it was unnecessary to show such a thing. The rest of the programme was interesting though.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Horrid intrusive disrespectful rubbish that no-one needs to see or know about.
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    I haven't watched it(River Phoenix was my teenage crush and one of my favourite actors) but to show the recording of the 911 call that his brother made is sick to then also show his corpse is just wrong. Fine look at the pathology reports, investigate them if they have to but they aren't Crimewatch and are in my view using these people's deaths as entertainment.
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    I think it's a good, scientific programme.

I'm always amazed how media reports become the "truth" - this programme often disproves them.
  • Options
    solaresolare Posts: 11,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like it, although I'm surprised that they are able to reveal so many medical details. Perhaps the law in the US is different after a person has died?

I've watched most of the episodes and have found them very interesting. Contrary to my expectation (for a Channel 5 programme) they haven't set out to "dig the dirt" on the people featured. Instead, the analysis of the autopsy report and the 'reconstruction' of the last days have usually provided a more sympathetic understanding of the situation leading to to a person's death.
  • Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's really interesting how a persons death can be broken down like that. I'm fairly certain autopsy results are public records so anybody can view them?
  • Options
    wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, the events are a matter of public record afaik so no problem there?

You find out how the body works and how substances affect the body. It's not graphic, sensationalist or intrusive. All of it is already out there. It just took a medical professional to front it and package it up into a well-edited programme that explained the mechanics of each person's death.

Anyone getting offended or precious about this programme just needs to have a word with themselves, for christs sake. It's a brilliant series, handled sensitively and honestly, thank goodness we get to hear facts from a scientist rather than fiction from tabloids.
    I've enjoyed it, in particular the actors who played Whitney Houston and River Phoenix last night.

Our heroes are fallible and human, like us. That's all you need to keep in mind when watching this.
  • Options
    seagull_Markseagull_Mark Posts: 3,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched the Robin Williams one and found it very interesting but some of the reconstruction footage with the lookalike was at times quite unnecessarily crass and 'typical' of Channel 5. Overall it did bring a lot of 'new' thinking to his death though which was good.
  • Options
    Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,157
    Forum Member
    An hour of filler if there isn't anything else on. I watched the Karen Carpenter one and at the end I just thought "meh"
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find the autopsy side interesting but some of the reconstructions a bit morbid - especially the Robin Williams one - so I have mixed feelings like the OP...
  • Options
    akhenatenakhenaten Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Theres a similar program to this on the ID channel called "DR G medical examiner" that shows how they work out how a person died, not celebrity.