Options

MacBook Pro

Comments

• Options
    darkknight77darkknight77 Posts: 3,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    I don't think 'investment' is the right word here! For £500 - £750 you can buy a pretty decent Windows laptop that will have enough oomph to do all that you require. If you go for an MacBook Pro you are deciding to pay a big premium for the Apple name and design.

I think 'investment' is a key word when buying Apple hardware as it holds value. You could spend £750 on a comparable Windows machine, but it will be worth £100 in 2 years, a Mac for £1200 will be still fetch £8-900 in 2 years from my experience.
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think 'investment' is a key word when buying Apple hardware as it holds value. You could spend £750 on a comparable Windows machine, but it will be worth £100 in 2 years, a Mac for £1200 will be still fetch £8-900 in 2 years from my experience.

they definitely do.
    i sold an old style macbook pro (pre uni-body) that was over 4 years old and still got £400+ for it.
  • Options
    jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think investment is the wrong word as the value still falls but yes cost of ownership of apple products can actually be cheaper if you change them every 2 or 3 years.
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apple products aren't an investment but depreciation on them is nowhere near as bad as other computer products.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    chenks wrote: »
    they definitely do.
    i sold an old style macbook pro (pre uni-body) that was over 4 years old and still got £400+ for it.

I actually saw someone in my university library earlier with one of those MBPs :cool: The design still looks good. One of my favourite Apple laptop designs was the Titanium Powerbook G4. That machine looked like it was made to last. Pity they don't make a Titanium Macbook Pro now. Only thing that surprised me about those machines was that they originally ran Mac OS 9! I always thought the G4s ran an early version of OSX?
  • Options
    Kitt 2000Kitt 2000 Posts: 1,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    plus a review said they received a non-UK keyboard on one, and another said it was the wrong spec.

clearly a dodgy seller selling grey imports and refurbs, but "as new".
    avoid.

I can assure you mine is the correct spec
    Not an import..
  • Options
    zapodzapod Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It certainly is. Ironically I see more of the beachball on my Air than I do on my Pro. Time for me to start using the Pro again I think...

Interesting. I've seen more of the beachball on our new late 2012 Mac mini than I have on my 4 year old pre-unibody MacBook Pro, same OS, same amount of Ram...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kitt 2000 wrote: »
    I can assure you mine is the correct spec
    Not an import..

well all i'm doing is reading the reviews.
    the link you posted also stated OSX Lion (NOT Mountain Lion).

also it's listed as Hong Kong.

Thanks, but not thanks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well mine came in 5 dye free post so hardly think it came from hong kong... lol

Specs are all British..

It does have mountain Lion..
    Must be a typo on that..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well mine came in 5 dye free post so hardly think it came from hong kong... lol

Specs are all British..

It does have mountain Lion..
    Must be a typo on that..

don't need to argue with you, but all the info is in the amazon link that YOU provided.
    Detailed Seller Information
    Business Name: Cyber Access Ltd
    Business Type: Limited Company
    Trade Register Number: 59200095-000-11-11-7
    Customer Services Address:
    7/F China United Plaza, 1008 Tai Nan West Street,
    Cheung Sha Wan
    Kowloon
    HK
    Business Address:
    7/F China United Plaza, 1008 Tai Nan West Street,
    Cheung Sha Wan
    Kowloon
    HK
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most have sent wrong link..
    Mine came from"top Electricals"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Post the right link, then...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zapod wrote: »
    Interesting. I've seen more of the beachball on our new late 2012 Mac mini than I have on my 4 year old pre-unibody MacBook Pro, same OS, same amount of Ram...

Slower hard drive?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

they also all list OSX Lion in the macbook they list in the store.
    sorry, but if it doesn't look right or smell right then it ain't right.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they also all list OSX Lion in the macbook they list in the store.
    sorry, but if it doesn't look right or smell right then it ain't right.

Well your welcome to pay another £200.. lol

Mine is fine its british..

Mountain lion..

Even says on recipt "English model"
  • Options
    zapodzapod Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    Slower hard drive?

Could be the HD, could be the discrete graphics in the MBP over the mini's HD4000 chipset.

The core i5 mini is about 2.5 times quicker on any heavy lifting I've done on both systems... Not as huge a difference as I was expecting TBH...
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    zapod wrote: »

Is the hard drive slower or is there some software on the Mini slowing the computer down?
  • Options
    paulj48paulj48 Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well your welcome to pay another £200.. lol

Mine is fine its british..

Mountain lion..

Even says on recipt "English model"

I bought my MBP from the UK Apple website last September but my receipt doesnt say "English model" I was initially concerned as the @ key was in the position where it is found on a USA PC keyboard but this is normal with Apple.

Wonder why the Amazon seller feels the need to say its English on the receipt?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulj48 wrote: »
    I bought my MBP from the UK Apple website last September but my receipt doesnt say "English model" I was initially concerned as the @ key was in the position where it is found on a USA PC keyboard but this is normal with Apple.

Wonder why the Amazon seller feels the need to say its English on the receipt?

Well maybe there has been some mix ups in the past?
    The seller does ship internationally,

Maybe in the past wrong models have gone to wrong countries?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paulj48 wrote: »
    I bought my MBP from the UK Apple website last September but my receipt doesnt say "English model"

that's because there is no such thing as an "english model".

they are all the same except for the keyboard that varies depending on region/country. there is a UK keyboard, but no "english model".

even the power connections are universal with the only regional part being the plug.

just another little details that makes the whole ad looks mighty suspicious.
  • Options
    paulj48paulj48 Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that's because there is no such thing as an "english model".

my remark was made tongue in cheek ;)
  • Options
    darkknight77darkknight77 Posts: 3,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonner101 wrote: »
    I think investment is the wrong word as the value still falls but yes cost of ownership of apple products can actually be cheaper if you change them every 2 or 3 years.

I think investment is a fine statement to use, you can basically buy one Mac for £1500, and use this 'investment' to upgrade to a new machine every 2 years for around £300 thereafter. I know several people who've done this since the days of the iBook G3!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think investment is a fine statement to use, you can basically buy one Mac for £1500, and use this 'investment' to upgrade to a new machine every 2 years for around £300 thereafter. I know several people who've done this since the days of the iBook G3!

That's not an investment. That's like someone who trades in an old game they spent £40 on and then only pays an extra £5 for a new game and says it only costed them £5. They've still paid £45 in reality. Similarly with cars.

If they were an investment then you'd be able to trade your old one in for a new one PLUS be GIVEN money on top :D

An investment is something that increases in value. Apple products aren't an investment but depreciation on them is nowhere near as bad as other computer products.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So it's an 'investment' in the same way as buying a 10 year old car and changing it every 2 years is.