How come some FTA channels don't work?

hopeandfaith06hopeandfaith06 Posts: 17,135
Forum Member
✭✭
Just got Freesat+ today and really like it.

I have done a none freesat FTA channel add thing and it found loads of channels and i have been sorted them all out, but i noticed it found several channels that would not work like FX HD, Paramount Comedy 2 etc.

If these are not FTA channels, why does it find them?

Sorry i don't really know how it all works :o

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just got Freesat+ today and really like it.

I have done a none freesat FTA channel add thing and it found loads of channels and i have been sorted them all out, but i noticed it found several channels that would not work like FX HD, Paramount Comedy 2 etc.

If these are not FTA channels, why does it find them?

Sorry i don't really know how it all works :o

Hi hopeandfaith06

The channels you have mentioned are not free to air channels. FX HD transmits 7pm - 3am and the same sort of times for PC2.

When they are off air, some receivers including the HDR will detect these as unscrambled channels. This is because there is no video or audio signal.

Afraid these channels aren't viewable on the Foxsat HDR without a suitable cam (such as a Diablo) and an official viewing card for Sky with the appropriate subscription package.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards
  • coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are discovering the difference between Sky Hd and freesat+ ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 251
    Forum Member
    You are discovering the difference between Sky Hd and freesat+ ?

Yep, probably about £50 a month :D
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    PaulB67 wrote: »
    Yep, probably about £50 a month :D
    More accurately - anything from about £26.50 upwards for 14 more HD channels of content!:p
    Forum Member
    BKM wrote: »
    More accurately - anything from about £26.50 upwards for 14 more HD channels of content!:p

or "£not a sausage" for more than enough tv choice and more programs than most people have time to watch.

( i did say probably £50 - Many, including myself, wouldnt even consider sky HD unless getting the sports package so thats approx £50pm, the rest of the channels are mostly rubbish whether they are in HD or not. Shame you can't just subscribe to sport only )

Hee, Hee :) why dont they create a new forum called "Sky v Freesat" so we can all rant and rave to our hearts content !!
  • hopeandfaith06hopeandfaith06 Posts: 17,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi hopeandfaith06

The channels you have mentioned are not free to air channels. FX HD transmits 7pm - 3am and the same sort of times for PC2.

When they are off air, some receivers including the HDR will detect these as unscrambled channels. This is because there is no video or audio signal.

Afraid these channels aren't viewable on the Foxsat HDR without a suitable cam (such as a Diablo) and an official viewing card for Sky with the appropriate subscription package.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

Thank you for not explaining. I never thought these channels would work but wasn't sure why it was finding them so thank you.
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    PaulB67 wrote: »
    or "£not a sausage" for more than enough tv choice and more programs than most people have time to watch.
    True - but not in HD!
    ( i did say probably £50 - Many, including myself, wouldnt even consider sky HD unless getting the sports package so thats approx £50pm, the rest of the channels are mostly rubbish whether they are in HD or not.
    One man's rubbish is another man's.....!! I would never subscribe to the Sky Sports channels as most the sport I actually like (tennis, winter sports, Tour de France etc.) is on Eurosport-HD.
    Forum Member
    BKM wrote: »
    True - but not in HD!

HD is good but not that good. Unfortunately a lot of people now have TV's much bigger than is appropriate for the room they are in for SD broadcasts. So the difference between SD and HD does become more exaggerated.

I sit 13-14 feet away from a very good 42" TV and although the difference between SD and HD is noticeable, its certainly not a jaw dropping difference and therefore not worth £26.50 or more per month. If i sat 8 feet away then HD would no doubt be more of a requirement but then if i sat that close i would only have bought a 28-32" set.
    One man's rubbish is another man's.....!! I would never subscribe to the Sky Sports channels as most the sport I actually like (tennis, winter sports, Tour de France etc.) is on Eurosport-HD.

Very true. All my wife watches is Rubbish IMO :D