Are Virgin throttling Playstation speeds?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,428
Forum Member
Upgraded my Playstation 3 Harddrive this week and began the process of re-downloading all the content I've purchased from the Network over the past three years. My download speed seems ridiculously slow however. Literally only getting 1MB downloaded every 10-15 seconds looking at the status.

I have my PS3 connected via cable to my Super Hub. Normally internet browsing speeds, downloading etc on my PC devices seems fine. On the PS3 I see from my connection test I'm only getting 19MB/s download speed supposedly which in actual fact is not the case, since a 9GB download running since Saturday Night is still only 54% complete.

So are Virgin using Traffic Management/Throttling on the Playstation? At current speeds it'll be weeks before my system is back up and running with all content.

Comments

• Marti SMarti S Posts: 5,788
    Forum Member
    If it is being traffic managed then its because they see the download has P2P.

Are you connected via WiFi or cable? if the former, try a cable connection.

Is it 19MB/s or 19Mb/s not to be confused a Byte is bigger than a bit
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,428
    Forum Member
    I'm connected via cable, don't use WiFi as its too glitchy with the SuperHub anyways, so have all my devices connected via Ethernet.

I'm getting according to the Playstation 19.1Mbps speed.

A quick speedtest on the PC shows 24.49Mbps so it indicates if I should be getting 50Mbps on my connection that Virgin are pretty much halving it right now.
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,435
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i've found downloading stuff to the ps3 takes ages and it's not virgin as anything else downloads fast. so when i had a similar HDD issue it took ages to downloaded everything, so i just left it on overnight. it's the same with backing up to another HDD, it took ages when a straight USB to USB transfer would have taken an hour or so. i think it took about 12 to 24 hours to backup 160gb
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am not having any issues. I signed up to PS+ on Saturday and downloaded 11 games (Nearly 15gig) without too much hassle Saturday night (Outland was bloody slow though). The installs took longer than the downloads for some games :eek:

I am on 60mb Superhub. My mate up the road was having serious issues yesterday. I downloaded the Uncharted 3 patch in minutes on Saturday evening just after the PSn came back up, his download of the patch took over an hour last night.

There is clearly some issue, but its not effecting everyone equally so I dont think its traffic management.