People & Major Ignorance

NewExampleNewExample Posts: 1,196
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I posted something in the Margaret Thatcher thread earlier, which garnered no response. It was getting heated in there at the time so maybe no one noticed. Anyway, as the news broke of her death, I told a friend and she replied with 'Who?', she then claimed that was a joke :confused: and said this: I don't want to inform myself about things I'm not interested. Okay I apologize for saying who? I did listen in school just not in history or things like that because it just doesn't interest me. I.know yeah oh you should know about your country but im not gonna be here forever so there's no point.' - that was after me asking why you would joke about that, it didn't understand, and she said she knew she was the first female PM and that was it.

What I wanted to ask is why people just don't care about things and is this a bad trait to have, no interest in history of major things and general ignorance to matters? She's always asking 'who?' 'What's that' but to be honest I was surprised she had no idea what I was talking about. It's akin to not knowing anything about WWII. It just really annoys me.

And please don't turn this into a Thatcher debate. There are other threads available for that. This is about ignorance.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people revel in being ignorant. They are worth avoiding.
  • paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    NewExample wrote: »
    I posted something in the Margaret Thatcher thread earlier, which garnered no response. It was getting heated in there at the time so maybe no one noticed. Anyway, as the news broke of her death, I told a friend and she replied with 'Who?', she then claimed that was a joke :confused: and said this: I don't want to inform myself about things I'm not interested. Okay I apologize for saying who? I did listen in school just not in history or things like that because it just doesn't interest me. I.know yeah oh you should know about your country but im not gonna be here forever so there's no point.' - that was after me asking why you would joke about that, it didn't understand, and she said she knew she was the first female PM and that was it.

What I wanted to ask is why people just don't care about things and is this a bad trait to have, no interest in history of major things and general ignorance to matters? She's always asking 'who?' 'What's that' but to be honest I was surprised she had no idea what I was talking about. It's akin to not knowing anything about WWII. It just really annoys me.

And please don't turn this into a Thatcher debate. There are other threads available for that. This is about ignorance.

You have a point as George Santayana who, in his Reason in Common Sense, The Life of Reason, Vol.1, wrote "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

It is a valuable lesson - (and here comes the Godwin's entry). History tells us so much - including the way dictators have come to power. I often think that children should be shown Schindler's list - in order to learn about the Holocaust.

(you are also making me feel old talking about things I remember as history)
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,258
    Forum Member
    How old is this person OP?
  • mooblymoobly Posts: 281
    Forum Member

Next time she's asking 'who?' or 'what?' you should advise her to educate herself. I don't mean that to sound really rude, it's beneficial for her in the long run. and for you, I would imagine. :)
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Age, age, age. Just because something seems important or relevant to you, doesn't necessarily mean it is to someone else. Thatcher (replace with anyone else as appropriate) was/ is a massive figure in UK politics, but unless you're over mid-30's and/ or have a keen interest, she probably didn't impact on your life very much. Sure, you've probably heard the odd news report, but if what she did wasn't ever spelled out to you, why would you necessarily know that much about her? I'm sure there's many things your friend is knowledgable about that you're not.
  • KidMoeKidMoe Posts: 5,851
    Forum Member
    Everybody is ignorant about lots of things, and if those things don't interest or impact on a person's life I don't necessarily think that reflects poorly on a person. The problem comes when people make decisions upon a position of ignorance or argue from one.
  • NewExampleNewExample Posts: 1,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    How old is this person OP?

She's 19. She claims to have no time to educate herself on matters which effect the world or the country. I pointed out the above poster about history repeating itself and it's rather stupid as an adult to be apathetic. I don't just mean with regards to politics here, I am talking about rational ordinary things; she seems to revel in her stubborn attitude to not know about things, that regardless of time or urgency (how does anyone know when) will affect her.
  • FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    Age, age, age. Just because something seems important or relevant to you, doesn't necessarily mean it is to someone else. Thatcher (replace with anyone else as appropriate) was/ is a massive figure in UK politics, but unless you're over mid-30's and/ or have a keen interest, she probably didn't impact on your life very much. Sure, you've probably heard the odd news report, but if what she did wasn't ever spelled out to you, why would you necessarily know that much about her? I'm sure there's many things your friend is knowledgable about that you're not.

Nonsense. Age is not an excuse for ignorance - and I say that as someone who is the same age as the person the OP is talking about. There is a difference between not knowing much about her policies/ideology and not having heard of her at all. The former is somewhat forgivable but still rather ignorant considering the massive influence her legacy has had in British politics. The latter is just stunningly ignorant. How can you not have even heard of Britain's only female PM? It's not like she isn't talked about or mentioned after 1990.

Ignorance is bad enough, but to revel in it is even worse. I don't see why it's something to be proud of.
  • wenchwench Posts: 8,928
    Forum Member
    She's 19. She claims to have no time to educate herself on matters which effect the world or the country. I pointed out the above poster about history repeating itself and it's rather stupid as an adult to be apathetic. I don't just mean with regards to politics here, I am talking about rational ordinary things; she seems to revel in her stubborn attitude to not know about things, that regardless of time or urgency (how does anyone know when) will affect her.

Do you remember who was prime minister before you were born?

Yes Thatcher would be known to those over 30 but not necessarily anyone under 20.

But even so, not everyone (unless they are a historian) would necessarily want to know or retain information not relevant to them, especially with historical figures.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,258
    Forum Member

Hmm... The teenagers i know at work aren't like this thank goodness. I honestly couldn't be friend with someone like that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FMKK wrote: »
    Nonsense. Age is not an excuse for ignorance - and I say that as someone who is the same age as the person the OP is talking about. There is a difference between not knowing much about her policies/ideology and not having heard of her at all. The former is somewhat forgivable but still rather ignorant considering the massive influence her legacy has had in British politics. The latter is just stunningly ignorant. How can you not have even heard of Britain's only female PM? It's not like she isn't talked about or mentioned after 1990.

Ignorance is bad enough, but to revel in it is even worse. I don't see why it's something to be proud of.
    We don't know that the OP's friend had never heard of her. Apparently she said 'Who?', and claimed it was a joke. Was it, wasn't it, how do we know? I agree it would be near impossible not to have heard of her, but considering the friend was born around the same year she left politics, it's not difficult to see how someone could have avoided learning that much about her. Lord knows, kids in the 00's wouldn't have been taught much - if anything - about her in school.
  • swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't rile myself up over a nineteen year old not knowing that.

Unless she's watched The Iron Lady, she's excused.
  • WhatJoeThinksWhatJoeThinks Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Party politics in the UK doesn't exactly attract people. For instance, subjects like immigration would be far better handled if they actually found out the extent of the percieved problem, garner the evidence, calculate the facts and figures and then maybe debate what ought to be done. Instead, what we have is akin to bickering performed on a public stage, with fingerpointing, naysaying and ridiculing of the opposition, with the hope (presumably) of creating division within the public, all to simply ensure that they have a good chance of keeping their job come the elections. Frankly it's all a bit pathetic and embarrassing, and it's little wonder that many people have no interest.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Previous PM's and other influential people shaped the foundations of our country (and continue to do so) If these people are unknown and the conditions that existed at the time shaped he way people acted, etc. I have a real problem when I hear statements that imply something is the fault of 'The Government' when it is clear that the person saying it has no real idea who the government was when the situation happened.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wench wrote: »
    Do you remember who was prime minister before you were born?

Yes Thatcher would be known to those over 30 but not necessarily anyone under 20.

But even so, not everyone (unless they are a historian) would necessarily want to know or retain information not relevant to them, especially with historical figures.
    gashead wrote: »
    We don't know that the OP's friend had never heard of her. Apparently she said 'Who?', and claimed it was a joke. Was it, wasn't it, how do we know? I agree it would be near impossible not to have heard of her, but considering the friend was born around the same year she left politics, it's not difficult to see how someone could have avoided learning that much about her. Lord knows, kids in the 00's wouldn't have been taught much - if anything - about her in school.

Yes, John Major. Next question. :D

And I would agree, although whilst at school we were taught about modern history and the Cold War etc, and how the Soviet Union collapsed and it's relevance to her and the modern day. It isn't hard to just go on Wikipedia and quickly educate yourself. And I'm not entirely sure she was joking, but she always says how she doesn't remember the names of these people, but will recognise faces. Maybe she said that then put the news on. Who knows. And with regards to someone who said they couldn't be friends with someone like that, if I wouldn't end a friendship because of it, and fortunately I would never do that anyway. We've been close friends for 16 years; and besides it would be very odd to do that. We've never argued, just bickered and annoyed each other, say what you think and move on. And to those thinking I'm a bit of a bitch, yes I shall tell her I posted a thread about this issue :D
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ignorance is being posted in abundance from both left and right in the Thatcher thread. Tired old cliches and misinformation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, John Major. Next question. :D

And I would agree, although whilst at school we were taught about modern history and the Cold War etc, and how the Soviet Union collapsed and it's relevance to her and the modern day. It isn't hard to just go on Wikipedia and quickly educate yourself. And I'm not entirely sure she was joking, but she always says how she doesn't remember the names of these people, but will recognise faces. Maybe she said that then put the news on. Who knows. And with regards to someone who said they couldn't be friends with someone like that, if I wouldn't end a friendship because of it, and fortunately I would never do that anyway. We've been close friends for 16 years.
    And there's the rub. Leaving aside the obvious joke about 'learning' anything on Wikipedia, (especially about real people, where you should never believe anything you read), people will only educate themselves on things they genuinely want to learn about, and for that to happen, something or someone has to have sparked that interest. People won't generally brush up on things they or other people think they ought to know. I'd rather someone knew a lot about a subject they genuinely had a passion in, than soundbites and headlines about things they felt they ought to know.

Don't get me wrong, maybe you're right and she is just thick and ignorant, I don't know her, but 19 is way too young to write someone off. She's got years to grow up (if she wants/ needs to) and perhaps pick all this stuff up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    I know there are fils on my course that don't know who David hasselhoff is. Now that is shocking.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have a point as George Santayana who, in his Reason in Common Sense, The Life of Reason, Vol.1, wrote "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

It is a valuable lesson - (and here comes the Godwin's entry). History tells us so much - including the way dictators have come to power. I often think that children should be shown Schindler's list - in order to learn about the Holocaust.

(you are also making me feel old talking about things I remember as history)

We watched Schindler's List in Year 11, don't know if it's part of the curriculum but I know loads of others that went to different high schools and they watched it in RE too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    Ignorance is being posted in abundance from both left and right in the Thatcher thread. Tired old cliches and misinformation.

Lots of baiting as well. :rolleyes:

It'll probably be a few days before we can actually have a proper discussion of her legacy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Previous PM's and other influential people shaped the foundations of our country (and continue to do so) If these people are unknown and the conditions that existed at the time shaped he way people acted, etc. I have a real problem when I hear statements that imply something is the fault of 'The Government' when it is clear that the person saying it has no real idea who the government was when the situation happened.

Good post. So many times I hear people complaining about 'bloody politicians' and I always feel tempted to ask them if they could actually name a few.