Waxing advice please

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,541
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So I have always shaved my legs and underarms but recently went on holiday for a couple of weeks and knew it wouldn't last so got them waxed for the first time by a professional.

I've had it done twice now but want to try it at home.

Could anyone recommend a good waxing product?

I've been on the Boots website but there only seems to be Veet and those products have varying reviews...

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be interested to know too.

I've tried a variety of home waxing products (sorry too many to remember brands) and they've all been a nightmare. Wax everywhere, taking forever to do, endless quantities of paper/material for strips needed..

I've been toying with idea of the veet roll on one, as it looks like it won't be a complete mess. Just reluctant to pay the money for it if its rubbish.

Seriously- it took me HOURS to just do my legs last time.. I did also keep giving up after a few strips as kept losing the will to live. :o

To maintain your sanity- keep getting it done professionally.

Eta to add.. And if you, like I did, plan to do your underarms - its pretty much impossible whilst bordering on insanely amusing. Never again. At one point one arm was stuck down as I'd forgotten I had wax there.. I went to cut another strip and the wax stuck my armpit down..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think there's any product at home that's half as good as getting a professional in....

Invest in an epilator. But still go to a salon for your underarms and bikini line.
  • NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use the veet microwave oriental wax with the strips for underarms with lots of aloe vera gel for afterwards. Even my teenage daughter lets me do hers so it can't be too bad.

In my case practice made perfect, don't bother with the ready prepared wax strips, too fiddly for underarms. I reserve them for legs and bikini line.
  • littlebootieslittlebooties Posts: 2,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't recommend any of the home wax products, compared to pro products they're crap. Waxing your own arm pits will be awkward as you wont have enough hands to stretch the skin properly.

If it's something you want to do for yourself find a cheap one day course and get qualified in it, so you can access professional products. Alternatively colleges have cheap salons and some home salons charge cheaper prices for waxing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use the veet microwave oriental wax with the strips for underarms with lots of aloe vera gel for afterwards. Even my teenage daughter lets me do hers so it can't be too bad.

In my case practice made perfect, don't bother with the ready prepared wax strips, too fiddly for underarms. I reserve them for legs and bikini line.

I've tried that oriental one- it took forever. Must admit though that I have got what feels like millions of VERY strong black hairs on my gorilla legs. In fact, when I've not shaved or waxed I could easily be mistaken for a yeti.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've tried that oriental one- it took forever. Must admit though that I have got what feels like millions of VERY strong black hairs on my gorilla legs. In fact, when I've not shaved or waxed I could easily be mistaken for a yeti.

I thought waxing didn't make them go as dark like shaving does?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought waxing didn't make them go as dark like shaving does?

It over times makes them softer, unfortunately my leg hair is naturally very strong and black, so even when I regulary wax it doesn't make much of a difference.
    Its pretty rubbish really as I have pale skin, so in summer I have to shave my legs/underarms every day if I've not been able to go long enough to grow it to have it waxed :(
  • littlebootieslittlebooties Posts: 2,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It over times makes them softer, unfortunately my leg hair is naturally very strong and black, so even when I regulary wax it doesn't make much of a difference.
    Its pretty rubbish really as I have pale skin, so in summer I have to shave my legs/underarms every day if I've not been able to go long enough to grow it to have it waxed :(

I'm the same, I have given up with waxing on me now as my hairs are so black I can't bare to let them grow long enough, even though I'm qualified in waxing - shaving it is!
  • Jo09Jo09 Posts: 3,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • flyingvflyingv Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It depends which hair cycle you are in - apparently every follicle has 3 hairs (not at the same time obviously). So when you get waxed say today, you are on hair 1. In a month's time hair 2 will get waxed, and the month after that hair 3. And so on. Some hair cycles are tougher and more resilient than others and that's why it looks like they are not thinning/lessening over time. I've been having everything waxed for over 20 years now and would never shave again.

boredof_lurking - now is the ideal time to get into a wax routine. Summer's done, it's tights/trousers all the way for the next million months so I'd find a good salon and by this time next year I guarantee your leg/underarm hairs will be sparser and thinner than they are now :)
  • BrightStarBrightStar Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    I would say dont bother as you will never get the results a professional gives you.

I'm probably a bit lazy though so be interesting to hear what others have said/saying
  • uzzybuzzyuzzybuzzy Posts: 2,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get an epilator!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    uzzybuzzy wrote: »
    Get an epilator!

Don't they (sometimes/more often than not) cause your skin to get bumpy and develop ingrown hairs?

I've often considered buying one but would buy a more expensive one to ensure it worked, but they always end up changing my mind as I worry it will make my skin bumpy and it would have been a waste of money.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flyingv wrote: »
    It depends which hair cycle you are in - apparently every follicle has 3 hairs (not at the same time obviously). So when you get waxed say today, you are on hair 1. In a month's time hair 2 will get waxed, and the month after that hair 3. And so on. Some hair cycles are tougher and more resilient than others and that's why it looks like they are not thinning/lessening over time. I've been having everything waxed for over 20 years now and would never shave again.

boredof_lurking - now is the ideal time to get into a wax routine. Summer's done, it's tights/trousers all the way for the next million months so I'd find a good salon and by this time next year I guarantee your leg/underarm hairs will be sparser and thinner than they are now :)

:D I'm actually growing it at moment as didn't go swimming on Saturday so decided to let it continue growing instead of having my weekly winter shaving session :o I think I could be mistaken for a yeti today! I'm hoping to get a wax appt on Wednesday as my under arms and legs are looking extremely scary :eek: :o