Options

soap cliches that really get on your nerves.

Comments

• Options
    BumbleSquatBumbleSquat Posts: 7,176
    Forum Member
    Jayma wrote: »
    Good one. And they even have their sworn enemy/ current bully's number, or the number of another character they've never shared a scene with.

"Hi Phil/Carl - is it ok if I take your number just so you can intimidate me some more? I currently don't have enough reasons to gaze anxiously off into the distance every time my phone rings!"

The most bizarre one I saw recently was Janine had a girl called Abi in her contacts - it was seen when she was looking for Alice in it. We're not seriously supposed to be believe it was Abi Branning's number, are we?!
  • Options
    thejoyof_patthejoyof_pat Posts: 30,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When a woman returns you can bet that the opening shot for her is going to be of her shoes the it will jump to the taxi driver/or some other character looking shocked at seeing them and then the camera will return female/or will be a shot of her turning around to face the camera while giving a witty line.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    when someone is accused of a crime despite knowing them for years they are immediately shunned by the comunity and the person making the accusation is always believed :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

:rolleyes::D
  • Options
    SecretLifeoBeesSecretLifeoBees Posts: 50,920
    Forum Member
    Something bad happens to someone, example a death or accident. Cue the entire neighbourhood visiting the victim/closest person affected uttering the immortal lines

"If there's anything you need just call me."

In our house we usually jump in with more like "Don't bother calling me" because that's what people really mean when they come out with such platitudes. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "This is going to be the best Christmas/New Year/Year ever!" hmmmm, I wonder where this could be going?
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was particularly evident in EE last night...

When something 'bad' has happened, why can't the locals who know the score just tell the panicking person that their friend/relative isn't dead or horribly maimed in some way instead of looking really shifty and refusing to answer.

Even when panicking relative finds the person who's going to tell them that person goes all round the houses before coming out with the pertinent information.

Oh, something really bad happened, there was a big fight and a knife was pulled and a terrible accident happened and someone died.

Bloody Hell. Just tell them already.
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    "What is this -- the SPANISH INQUISITION?", when one is cornered into answering where they have been/why they are acting so shifty.

"Nothing gets past you" :sleep:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Nothing gets past you" :sleep:

I must be someone who has engaged with far too soap in their life because I use this phrase, speaking of it, I said it to my dad today :o do people not say this?
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    I must be someone who has engaged with far too soap in their life because I use this phrase, speaking of it, I said it to my dad today :o do people not say this?
    They do, just hate it when certain characters over use that line in a sarcy tone. :mad:

Affairs usually bring up the cliched guns...

"It didn't mean anythin', I swear...she/he's nothing to me!"
    Dr. Linus wrote: »
    Characters abandoning their lives and moving away in the space of one or two days. Even characters who have children, a job and presumably a mortgage to pay can be ready to leave on a one-way ticket to Spain within a few hours. If you've committed a crime you can do so within a matter of minutes. In the real world it takes at least a few weeks to get away like that. If you're emigrating it really should take a couple of months in most cases...
    "Let's move to Spain! Start afresh, forget about this place...I've got the tickets and passports..." :rolleyes:
  • Options
    KB1984KB1984 Posts: 274
    Forum Member
    The need to "double-bind" stories to make them more dramatic. Emmerdale has been really bad for this.

- Elder abuse storyline involving Ashley and his Dad Sandy. Ashley (uncharacteristically) starts to abuse his Dad. This was just a plot device to drive his wife Laurel into the arms of Marlon, whom we are supoosed to believe are star-crossed lovers despite the actors having no chemistry and no screen time together previously despite both being on the show for years. We won't even get onto Ashley's "homelessness" storyline as a result or Sandy's complete reversal of his deteriorating health that prompted the abuse once the storyline had finished.

- Zak's (unspecified) mental health issues. Zak's breakdown storyline was fine for the most part, except for the introduction of two comical loan sharks who Zak had supposedly borrowed a load of money off in his unhinged state and buried it :rolleyes:

- Rhona's painkiller addiction. That's not enough, her (previously straight) mate Vanessa has to fall in love with her :rolleyes:

-Laurel's carjacker can't be a random hoodlum, no,no.no he is Moira's nephew :confused:
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Posts: 14,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Where I come from they are nore likely to say 'You don't miss much'
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have two, in the northern soaps ''I'll make a brew'' makes me cringe, it's like its the cure for everything, it's just tea!

Also the amount of money that is wasted in buying tickets for a change of life move or quick getaway, and of course the person doesn't discuss it with the other party prior to buying.
    These tickets will be the old fashioned kind one gets from a travel agent, never online printouts.
  • Options
    pixiegirl123pixiegirl123 Posts: 15,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Let's move to Spain! Start afresh, forget about this place...I've got the tickets and passports..." :rolleyes:

When it's Spain or somewhere else in the EU it is bad enough, but when people just up and decide to go to America, Canada, Australia ect is worse, the law doesn't apply to them and apparently they don't need to spend months applying for a visa :D
    dd68 wrote: »
    I have two, in the northern soaps ''I'll make a brew'' makes me cringe, it's like its the cure for everything, it's just tea!

That is just how we live up north ;)
  • Options
    noodkleopatranoodkleopatra Posts: 12,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That is just how we live up north ;)

I was gonna say - I'm a Northerner now living in Australia, and it always makes my housemates laugh when I say, "I'll make us a brew" or "A brew'll make you feel better" when they're upset or stressed with something. But I think it'd probably be an alcoholic drink if we weren't as poor as arseholes! ;):p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was gonna say - I'm a Northerner now living in Australia, and it always makes my housemates laugh when I say, "I'll make us a brew" or "A brew'll make you feel better" when they're upset or stressed with something. But I think it'd probably be an alcoholic drink if we weren't as poor as arseholes! ;):p

That's what it is in Scotland :D "I'II get you all a glass of Bucky"
  • Options
    SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KB1984 wrote: »
    - Rhona's painkiller addiction. That's not enough, her (previously straight) mate Vanessa has to fall in love with her :rolleyes:

Was it really a sexual attraction on Vanessa's part then? Perhaps I wasn't paying enough attention but I just thought she came to "love" Rhona because of the supposed bond they had over the drugs issue, like she wanted to look after her.
  • Options
    TheGraduate2012TheGraduate2012 Posts: 14,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When it's Spain or somewhere else in the EU it is bad enough, but when people just up and decide to go to America, Canada, Australia ect is worse, the law doesn't apply to them and apparently they don't need to spend months applying for a visa :D

Or the even worse: Let's run away to Spain/France, there's no possible way the police can find me there or even that they could ring up the Spanish/French police for a little chat :mad: What is this, the 50s?

Also scenarios like:

"Look babe, there's something I've really got tell ya and it's been driving me mad for weeks ...." (heavy panicked breaths)

Partner listen intensely then interrupts with

"I know what you're gonna say".
    "You do?"
    "Yeah, I've known for a while that something ain't be right..."
    "Really? Look I'm so sorry" (verge of tears)
    "Nah, darling, it's me! I'm the one who should be apologising".
    "You?" (look of sheer horror and confusion).
    "Yeah, look I know I've not been easy, it's been rough on ya. But I promise it'll be better, I'm gonna change, okay babe?"
    "Yeah" (whimpers)

airtight hug with shifty eyes over the shoulder.
  • Options
    Tom-Bennett.Tom-Bennett. Posts: 2,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Women who give birth are only in labour no more than 30 mins

The Police, ambulance, fire brigade always turn up after the disasters finished
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When someone goes on the run abroad they'll never get arrested. There is no such a thing as Interpol.
  • Options
    biscuitfactorybiscuitfactory Posts: 29,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Women who give birth are only in labour no more than 30 mins

The Police, ambulance, fire brigade always turn up after the disasters finished

Even with their first, which is plain ridiculous. Okay, I know it happens, but very rarely.
    And nobody ever has to have a ceasarian section, either.
  • Options
    desperate housedesperate house Posts: 3,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why does every female in soaps wear a bra when in their nightwear? Does no one have saggy boobs? :D
  • Options
    Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    SuperAPJ wrote: »
    Was it really a sexual attraction on Vanessa's part then? Perhaps I wasn't paying enough attention but I just thought she came to "love" Rhona because of the supposed bond they had over the drugs issue, like she wanted to look after her.

Oh no, i think she wanted to get right in aboot her :o
  • Options
    desperate housedesperate house Posts: 3,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People fall out with each other big time, then after a few weeks or so they are back being bosom buddies. Gail and Eileen in Corrie are probably the only exception though.
  • Options
    big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    People fall out with each other big time, then after a few weeks or so they are back being bosom buddies. Gail and Eileen in Corrie are probably the only exception though.

On a similar note you have the likes of Pat/Peggy and now Kat/Ronnie, where the person who is instrumental in a heartbreaking event that ruins your happiness will become some deep meaningful part of your life who can understand you and deliver home truths like nobody else.
  • Options
    BabanBaban Posts: 2,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This one has most definitely been said, but the fact that no one has a job outside their square/street/village

Also no one goes to uni, when they turn 18ish they either fail their exams and it's never mentioned again OR they just start working in the pub and that's where they'll be for the rest of their lives...